Changes are coming to the Cooking merit badge. Beginning Jan, 1, 2014, it will be required for the Eagle Scout rank.
What else is new?
• The MyPlate food guide (courtesy of the USDA) replaces the pyramid nutrition model.
• You no longer have to prepare meals on consecutive days, which gives you extra flexibility.
• There’s information on food allergies and cross-contamination awareness.
• There are stats on the daily level of activity and the related caloric need.
• And there are tips on improving your eating habits.
What’s not new?
• You’ll do more menu planning than actual cooking.
• Most of the requirements are similar, including the number of cooked meals and cooking safety issues.
For more information on healthy eating, healthy cooking and a healthy overall lifestyle, check this out.