He saved his dad from the rapids!

siapodcast-200×148.jpgAs Brian Butterfield, 17, and other Scouts and parents were navigating the rapids of the Deschutes River in Oregon, Brian’s raft hit a rock and turned sideways, wrapping itself around a fallen tree.

Brian made it to shore, but his father, Bill Butterfield, was trapped.

Listen as Brian and his dad describe the rescue in a true story of Scouts in Action.

Scouts in Action podcast
Can’t get enough Scouts in Action? Boys’ Life is planning to post more episodes. Click here to subscribe to the Scouts in Action podcast.

19 Comments on He saved his dad from the rapids!

1. Wow…Just WOW!!!

2. Ya I had an emergency situation, it turned out to be the school newspaper doing a study, but it taught me the importance of being prepared.

3. WOW!

4. !!!AMAZING!!!

5. proud boy scout // July 3, 2010 at 3:59 pm // Reply

like father like son…

6. monarose123 // June 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm // Reply

WOW mon

7. good work all the boys in that troop did good good work

8. longwindbear // October 14, 2009 at 10:08 am // Reply

Brian sounds like an outstanding Scout!
    I shared this “Scouts in Action” story with the Scouts in my Troop. We are working on Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge, and the boys really felt an appreciation for the “stress” that they might feel if an emergency were to involve a close friend or loved one.

9. You did a great job helping your dad.

10. “Best story every!!” That is what my 8yr old Wolf said after listening. Go Scouts.

11. BoBO84312354984 // November 5, 2008 at 5:59 pm // Reply

THIS S.I.A WAS THE SCARIEST ONE YET …………

12. skotdilin // June 4, 2008 at 8:04 pm // Reply

i beeliv that was the gratest thing i have ever herd.

13. skateboard 28 // June 1, 2008 at 6:06 pm // Reply

you are an awsome boy!

14. your spunktastic [ that means your awesome]

15. HALLAUEHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :] :] :] :]

16. awsomedude // April 8, 2008 at 9:52 pm // Reply

Your a awsome guy! My brother is a Eagle scout, and he can’t even do that!

17. that is so, awsome. I cant do that, even if im a boyscout, i dont have the guts to do that kind of thing.

18. Bear000 who is not a wimp. XP // March 29, 2008 at 6:53 pm // Reply

I listened to the rest. So, never mind. =D

19. I’m a wimp. I stopped at the part where he said he turned to his right and dramatic music played… Did what I think happened to him actually happen? o.o God bless you, Brian and you Mr. Butterfield. =)

1 2