Boys’ Life blogs
Fishing, books, movie trailers, video games, outdoor gear, and more. Check out Boys’ Life blogs for valuable, expert information about topics that interest you.
Brought to you by Clay Swartz, associate editor of Boys’ Life magazine, Heads Up is your one-stop destination for the coolest stuff from around the globe. Plus there will be plenty of chances to win free stuff, so check in as much as possible.
- Can a Walmart Huffy Survive a Pro Mountain Biker’s Test?There’s nothing wrong with an inexpensive bike from stores like Walmart or Target … as long as you know what you’re buying. Bikes from large retailers like these aren’t typically made for challenging trails or lengthy rides. However, they are usually great for joyriding around the neighborhood or at parks. To demonstrate, a professional mountain biker recently tested a Walmart Huffy on some of the toughest, most extreme trails imaginable. Take a look at the results:
- Can You Solve This Seemingly Impossible Logic Puzzle?There is an island of people who all have green eyes. However, they don’t know they have green eyes because they have been imprisoned on this island since birth. They can see each other, but the can’t see themselves. There are no mirrors, and they’re not allowed to speak to each other. On this island, all green-eyed people are allowed to leave, but only under dangerous circumstances — they have to go alone, at night, to a guard booth, where the guard will examine eye color and either let the person go (green eyes) or throw them in the volcano (non-green eyes). So, of course, everyone should be free to leave, but they just need to realize they all have green eyes. Let’s say you got the chance to visit the island and address the people. You can only say one sentence, and it can’t be new information. What do you say to free everyone? Watch the video below for the answer.
- Meet Cozmo, A Real-Life WALL-E That Could Soon Be YoursCozmo is a playful, smart, cute robot that could finally make the dream of household robots a reality. This a real-life robot is like the ones you see in movies, but it’s actually real. The $180, softball-sized, fully mobile robot is part toy, part high-tech masterpiece. Using the computing power of an iPhone, Cozmo can recognize a face or detect when it’s about to roll off a table edge. It can also play simple games and stack blocks. What can it do? Cozmo’s emotions aren’t random. They’re real and felt by everyone in the room. From curious to clever, persistent to playful, he has lots of personality, and will let you know it. He’ll be your partner in crime, developing new feelings the more you hang out. But watch out, he’s addicted to fun. Ignore him and he’ll get cranky. Cozmo (available in October 2016) is powered by advanced robotics, A.I. and computer vision, and processes more data per second than all the Mars rovers combined. In fact, more than 300 parts make up this robot that fits in the palm of your hand. Normally, a robot with this sort of technology is an ugly, bulky thing found in fancy [...]
- Don’t Miss These Epic New Photos for ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’Thanks to the folks over at Entertainment Weekly, we have our first good look at some of the scenes and characters from Star Wars: Rogue One, the upcoming standalone movie set in that galaxy far, far away. What’s it about? Here’s what we know: A band of resistance fighters unite for a daring mission to steal the Death Star plans. That’s right, this is the story of how the resistance got the Death Star Plans from the Empire. Scroll down to take a look at the cool images!
- Watch the Newest Trailer for ‘Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children’Based upon the best-selling novel, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children tells the story of how a boy named Jake discovers clues to a mystery that spans alternate realities and times, he uncovers a secret refuge for unique children. As he learns about the residents and their unusual abilities, Jake realizes that safety is an illusion, and danger lurks in the form of powerful, hidden enemies. Jake must figure out who is real, who can be trusted, and who he really is.
Love books? This is the right place. Get chances to win free books, the latest info on cool new books and pretty much anything else related to – wait for it … BOOKS! The Book Zone is ruled by Boys’ Life Senior Editor Paula Murphey.
- Check Out BL’s Exclusive Reveal of the New Lego Ninjago: Dark Island TrilogySee our exclusive cover reveal. Plus, check out an excerpt from Book One of the new trilogy.
- BL Fiction: ‘Home of the Brave’ by Eric A. KimmelRockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air ... Young Adam is witness to one of the most important moments in our country's history.
- Participate In This Cool Summer Reading Challenge From ScholasticOne of the best things about summer is that there’s more time for reading cool books. Without the stress of school and homework, you can finally focus on catching up on some of those books you’ve been meaning to get to all year. Now, summertime reading is even more fun. Scholastic has recently launched a cool summer reading contest that challenges you to log as many minutes of reading you possibly can. You can pick any book you want. If you need help, Scholastic has created an age appropriate reading list that will help you choose the perfect book. Scroll down to look through the list for yourself Download (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Must Read This Week: ‘Doodle Adventures: Slimy Space Slugs’Plus, browse an actual excerpt from the hilarious adventure book.
- Try These Five Books During ‘Get Caught Reading’ MonthMay is Get Caught Reading Month. Here are a few cool books to get you started.
The Scouting Around blog is your source for Scouting news. Get ideas for your troop by reading about Scouting activities across the country. Biking in Buffalo? Caving in California? Fishing in Florida? Mountain climbing in Montana? Shooting in South Carolina? It’s all in Scouting Around.
Love fishing? Want to learn how to catch more fish? Check out Boys’ Life‘s ultimate fishing blog for tips, tricks and expert advice.
- Fishing the SummitWhether you’re headed to jamboree next summer, or on any trip to the Summit Bechtel Reserve, you owe it to yourself to try a little fishing. And that’s not just a load of hype.
- Where to find fish in a river or streamFishing pro Tom Redington reveals the best places to catch fish in a river.
- Build a fishing rod rackOrganize your fishing rods by building this simple wooden rack.
- Fishing gear buying guideThe Gear Guy brings you some of the best new rods, reels and other fishing tackle.
- Best bait or lures to use in streams and small riversVideo Tips: Look for bait or lures that look like minnows, crawdads or insects.
Stuck in a tough spot? Can’t figure out how to get past a monster? Just looking for an easier way? The Games Guru has the answers you need to succeed in your favorite video games.
Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Just send in your questions for the Gear Guy to answer.
Wilderness first aid expert “Dr. K” explains how to be prepared for medical emergencies that can occur in the outdoors where resources run thin and accidents are sure to happen.