Boys’ Life blogs
Fishing, books, movie trailers, video games, outdoor gear, and more. Check out Boys’ Life blogs for valuable, expert information about topics that interest you.
Brought to you by Clay Swartz, associate editor of Boys’ Life magazine, Heads Up is your one-stop destination for the coolest stuff from around the globe. Plus there will be plenty of chances to win free stuff, so check in as much as possible.
- Is This BMW Concept the Car of the Future?BMW has always been known as one f the best automakers in the world. That’s because of their incredible advances in engineering, technology and design over the years. Now, it looks like the 100-year-old car company is at it again. Just take a look at its new Vision Next 100 concept car. Unveiled recently as part of BMW’s centenary celebration, the Next 100 includes a load of gadgetry you’d expect from a car of the future. There’s autonomous driving, of course, but it also sports something BMW calls “Alive Geometry,” which describes helpful information seamlessly flowing from the dashboard to the connected windshield. According to Engadget: The Next 100 features two distinct driving modes. Boost mode gives you full control over the driving experience (assisted by all of that helpful Alive Geometry data). Ease Mode, on the other hand, retracts the steering wheel and moves the seats around for autonomous driving. BMW has also developed an AI-like gadget called the “Companion,” an orb that will communicate information to pedestrians when the car is in self-driving mode. It can glow green to let people know when it’s safe to walk in front of the car, for example. Here’s a look [...]
- ‘Angrify’ Yourself With New Angry Birds Web ToolYou’re probably very familiar with Angry Birds, the hit mobile game that debuted a few years back. Now, there’s an Angry Birds Movie coming out, too. What’s it about? A small paradise community of flightless birds has long lived peacefully, except for Red, a bird filled with constant anger. The birds got shocked by the sudden appearance of pigs led by Leonard on the island. The flock teams up to investigate the pigs and their intentions. The Angry Birds Movie doesn’t hit theaters until next month, but you can get in the “angry” mood now with a cool new tool from the filmmakers. Here are a few examples from some of the Boys’ Life staff. Associate Editor Clay Swartz Senior Editor Bryan Wendell Digital Editor Keith Faber Pedro the Mailburro Click here to ‘Angrify’ yourself.
- Watch the Final ‘X-Men Apocalypse’ TrailerApocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto, to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven with the help of Professor X must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.
- All About Earth Day 2016Today marks Earth Day 2009. Since 1970, Earth Day has been a time to ...
- Can You Solve This Tricky Logic Puzzle?Here’s the puzzle: A man was looking at a portrait when a passerby asked him, “Whose picture are you looking at?” The man replied: “Brothers and sisters have I none, but this man’s father is my father’s son.” Whose picture was the man looking at?
Love books? This is the right place. Get chances to win free books, the latest info on cool new books and pretty much anything else related to – wait for it … BOOKS! The Book Zone is ruled by Boys’ Life Senior Editor Paula Murphey.
- New BL Fiction: Kori and the Troll by Lou AndersIn this epic fantasy short story, sometimes a stout heart is better than a sharp sword.
- Vote For Your Favorite Book Series in BL’s Book BracketWe have a winner! Was it Harry Potter or Percy Jackson? Click through to find out.
- Watch the Latest Trailer for ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’The Wizarding World is coming to America! That’s right, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Nov. 18) will bring magic to the United States in an epic story of witches, wizards and even some Harry Potter backstory. Here’s what you can expect: Newt Scamander arrives at the Magical Congress of the United States of America (MACUSA), for a meeting with an important official. At this meeting is a magically expanded briefcase which houses a number of dangerous creatures and their habitats. When the creatures escape from the briefcase, it sends the American wizarding authorities after Newt, and threatens to strain even further the state of magical and non-magical relations. The mistake has a devastating effect on the state of Wizarding/No-Maj (the American term for a non-magical person) relations in New York City’s community of wizards and witches in 1926, which is already in a dangerous place, due to the threatening presence of the fanatical New Salem Philanthropic Society, an extremist organization dedicated to the eradication of wizard-kind. Newt battles to correct the mistake, and the horrors of the resultant increase in violence, fear, and tension felt between magical and non-magical peoples (Muggles).
- Roald Dahl Classic ‘The BFG’ Is Heading To the Big ScreenRoald Dahl’s classic novel The BFG has been delighting young readers for decades, but there has never been a big-screen adaption of the fantasy book. Now there is! Steven Spielberg is directing the movie, and from the footage I’ve seen, it looks terrific. The BFG tells the imaginative story of a young girl and the Giant who introduces her to the wonders and perils of Giant Country. The BFG, while a giant himself, is a Big Friendly Giant and nothing like the other inhabitants of Giant Country. Standing 24-feet tall with enormous ears and a keen sense of smell, he is endearingly dim-witted and keeps to himself for the most part. Giants like Bloodbottler and Fleshlumpeater on the other hand, are twice as big and at least twice as scary and have been known to eat humans, while the BFG prefers Snozzcumber and Frobscottle. Upon her arrival in Giant Country, Sophie, a precocious 10-year-old girl from London, is initially frightened of the mysterious giant who has brought her to his cave, but soon comes to realize that the BFG is actually quite gentle and charming, and, having never met a giant before, has many questions. The BFG brings Sophie to [...]
- 2015 Boys’ Life Reading Contest WinnersRead the winning essays from the 2014 Boys’ Life reading contest.
The Scouting Around blog is your source for Scouting news. Get ideas for your troop by reading about Scouting activities across the country. Biking in Buffalo? Caving in California? Fishing in Florida? Mountain climbing in Montana? Shooting in South Carolina? It’s all in Scouting Around.
Love fishing? Want to learn how to catch more fish? Check out Boys’ Life‘s ultimate fishing blog for tips, tricks and expert advice.
- Where to find fish in a river or streamFishing pro Tom Redington reveals the best places to catch fish in a river.
- Build a fishing rod rackOrganize your fishing rods by building this simple wooden rack.
- Fishing gear buying guideThe Gear Guy brings you some of the best new rods, reels and other fishing tackle.
- Win a hat signed by fishing pro Tom RedingtonEnter for a chance to win a hat signed by professional fisherman Tom Redington.
- Best bait or lures to use in streams and small riversVideo Tips: Look for bait or lures that look like minnows, crawdads or insects.
Stuck in a tough spot? Can’t figure out how to get past a monster? Just looking for an easier way? The Games Guru has the answers you need to succeed in your favorite video games.
Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Just send in your questions for the Gear Guy to answer.
Wilderness first aid expert “Dr. K” explains how to be prepared for medical emergencies that can occur in the outdoors where resources run thin and accidents are sure to happen.