Boys’ Life blogs
Fishing, books, movie trailers, video games, outdoor gear, and more. Check out Boys’ Life blogs for valuable, expert information about topics that interest you.
Brought to you by Clay Swartz, associate editor of Boys’ Life magazine, Heads Up is your one-stop destination for the coolest stuff from around the globe. Plus there will be plenty of chances to win free stuff, so check in as much as possible.
- Self-Lacing Sneakers Of the Future Are Finally HereThe Nike HyperAdapt 1.0 might be the coolest shoes you’ve ever seen. But it’s not just because they look really cool (which they do). No, these shoes are epic for another reason entirely. They lace by themselves. Yes, you read that correctly. The future is here. How do they work? According to Nike: “When you step in, your heel will hit a sensor and the system will automatically tighten. Then there are two buttons on the side to tighten and loosen. You can adjust it until it’s perfect.” Watch this quick video to see how they work:
- Introducing Carolina Reaper Madness: The World’s Spiciest ChipLove spicy foods? Chances are that even you aren’t tough enough to handle the Carolina Reaper Madness chip. This spicy creation from Paqui chips is the hottest chip in the world. How hot is it? For starters, there’s only one chip per package. And that package is a coffin-shaped box. While I can’t vouch for the deadliness of the chip, I do know that the pepper used to make the chip is mighty dangerous. The chip gets its spice from the Carolina Reaper Pepper, the Guinness Book of World Records holder for Hottest Chili Pepper on Earth. For people daring enough to try the chip, Paqui recommends using ice cream, milk, yogurt or honey to help offset the spice. Don’t use water, it will only spread the spice around and make the whole experience worse. The Carolina Reaper chip costs $4.99.
- Check Out These Photos of the World’s Largest Stick BugA Chinese stick insect was recently declared the world’s longest bug, stretching 24.6 inches. The creepy crawler is of the new genus Phryganistria, considered among the largest bugs on Earth. The twig-sized bug beats the previous record-holder — another stick insect discovered in 2008 — by nearly 3 inches. Here are a few cool facts about stick insects: Stick insects can regenerate their limbs after attacks by predators If a predator grabs a stick insect’s leg, it can still make an escape. In fact, the stick insect will give up the leg, using a special muscle to break it off. Why? Stick insects will regenerate the missing limb the next time they molt. Stick insects act like … sticks Stick insects are obviously named for their camouflage abilities. They’re usually brown, black or green, and have stick-shaped bodies that help them blend in to their environment. Some even wear lichen-like markings to make their disguise more authentic. Stick insects imitate twigs swaying in the wind by rocking back and forth as they move. Stick insect eggs resemble seeds scattered about the forest floor. Stick insect mothers drop eggs randomly on the forest floor, leaving the youngsters to fend for themselves [...]
- Read This Excerpt From ‘Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas’Looking for an exciting, adventurous new read? Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas by Jonathan W. Stokes may be the book for you.
- Take a Look At This Epic Guide To the October Nighttime SkyTwo epic meteor showers will take place this month. Here’s what you can expect: This first is the Draconids on Oct. 7, 2016. The radiant point for the Draconid meteor shower almost coincides with the head of the constellation Draco the Dragon in the northern sky. That’s why the Draconids are best viewed from the Northern Hemisphere. The Draconid shower is a real oddity, in that the radiant point stands highest in the sky as darkness falls. That means that, unlike many meteor showers, more Draconids are likely to fly in the evening hours than in the morning hours after midnight. This shower is usually a sleeper, producing only a handful of languid meteors per hour in most years. But watch out if the Dragon awakes! In rare instances, fiery Draco has been known to spew forth many hundreds of meteors in a single hour. In 2016, the waxing crescent moon may somewhat intrude on this year’s Draconid shower. Try watching at nightfall and early evening on October 7. This second is the Orionids on Oct. 7, 2016. On a dark, moonless night, the Orionids exhibit a maximum of about 10 to 20 meteors per hour. But, in 2016, the [...]
Love books? This is the right place. Get chances to win free books, the latest info on cool new books and pretty much anything else related to – wait for it … BOOKS! The Book Zone is ruled by Boys’ Life Senior Editor Paula Murphey.
- Read This Excerpt From ‘Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas’Looking for an exciting, adventurous new read? Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas by Jonathan W. Stokes may be the book for you. It’s the first book in a new series that promises laugh-out-loud moments and nonstop action. What’s it about? 12-year-old Addison Cooke just wishes something exciting would happen to him. His aunt and uncle, both world-famous researchers, travel to the ends of the Earth searching for hidden treasure, dodging dangerous robbers along the way, while Addison is stuck in school all day. Luckily for Addison, adventure has a way of finding the Cookes. After his uncle unearths the first ancient Incan clue needed to find a vast trove of lost treasure, he is kidnapped by members of a shadowy organization intent on stealing the riches. Addison’s uncle is the bandits’ key to deciphering the ancient clues and looting the treasure . . . unless Addison and his friends can outsmart the kidnappers and crack the code first. So it’s off to South America, where the excitement, danger, gold, booby traps, and car chases are never-ending! Read an Excerpt from the Book Download (PDF, 1.04MB) We recently had the chance to ask Stokes about his new book. Here’s what he [...]
- 100 Books Every Boy Should ReadBoys' Life has provided 100 years of great reading. Here are 100 books that every guy should read.
- Check Out BL’s Exclusive Reveal of the New Lego Ninjago: Dark Island TrilogySee our exclusive cover reveal. Plus, check out an excerpt from Book One of the new trilogy.
- BL Fiction: ‘Home of the Brave’ by Eric A. KimmelRockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air ... Young Adam is witness to one of the most important moments in our country's history.
- Participate In This Cool Summer Reading ChallengeOne of the best things about summer is that there’s more time for reading cool books. Without the stress of school and homework, you can finally focus on catching up on some of those books you’ve been meaning to get to all year. Now, summertime reading is even more fun. Scholastic has recently launched a cool summer reading contest that challenges you to log as many minutes of reading you possibly can. You can pick any book you want. If you need help, Scholastic has created an age appropriate reading list that will help you choose the perfect book. Scroll down to look through the list for yourself Download (PDF, 1.5MB)
The Scouting Around blog is your source for Scouting news. Get ideas for your troop by reading about Scouting activities across the country. Biking in Buffalo? Caving in California? Fishing in Florida? Mountain climbing in Montana? Shooting in South Carolina? It’s all in Scouting Around.
Love fishing? Want to learn how to catch more fish? Check out Boys’ Life‘s ultimate fishing blog for tips, tricks and expert advice.
- Trick casting with Tom RedingtonAfter making millions of casts in a lifetime, fishing pros like Tom Redington can get pretty precise with their casts.
- 25 funny fish jokesWhat do you get when you cross a fishing lure with a gym sock? Find out in our collection of hilarious fishing jokes.
- Fishing the SummitWhether you’re headed to jamboree next summer, or on any trip to the Summit Bechtel Reserve, you owe it to yourself to try a little fishing. And that’s not just a load of hype.
- Where to find fish in a river or streamFishing pro Tom Redington reveals the best places to catch fish in a river.
- Build a fishing rod rackOrganize your fishing rods by building this simple wooden rack.
Stuck in a tough spot? Can’t figure out how to get past a monster? Just looking for an easier way? The Games Guru has the answers you need to succeed in your favorite video games.
Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Just send in your questions for the Gear Guy to answer.
Wilderness first aid expert “Dr. K” explains how to be prepared for medical emergencies that can occur in the outdoors where resources run thin and accidents are sure to happen.