This delicious and easy Dutch-oven lasagna will feed a crowd at your next campout.
Total time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
What you’ll need:
- 12” camp Dutch oven
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 26-oz. jars of spaghetti sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning blend
- 2 15-ounce tubs of ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 16-ounce box lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 6 cups (1½ pounds) mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat Dutch oven over 25 coals.
2. Brown beef, garlic and onion in oven. Then transfer to large bowl. Remove oven from heat.
3. Add spaghetti sauce, salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning to the beef-and-onion mix and stir well.
4. Mix ricotta cheese and eggs in medium-sized bowl and set aside.
5. Optional: Carefully line hot Dutch oven with aluminum foil. Leave about an inch and a half of extra lining protruding from top of oven.
6. Spread about a third of the beef mixture on the bottom of the oven. Add a layer of about a third of the noodles, followed by about a third of the ricotta-egg mixture and a third of the mozzarella cheese.
7. Repeat this order two more times until all ingredients are layered, ending with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
8. Cook for about 45 minutes, using 17 coals on the lid and 8 coals under the oven. Noodles should be thoroughly cooked. Refresh coals as required.
From The Scout’s Dutch Oven Cookbook by Tim and Christine Conners