1970 Chevy Vega

1970 Chevy Vega

1970 Chevy Vega

Panicked by a flood of mid-size Japanese cars entering the American market, General Motors rushed its Chevy Vega into production. The result? Perhaps the worst car GM ever built. The Vega was priced right and sold well at first, but numerous issues forced the model’s reputation into a nosedive. The car ran so hot, it caused everything under the hood to warp and crack. Engines would burn oil or catch fire, and the hood would even come through the windshield during collisions. On top of everything else, the Vega’s body rusted so badly that entire bumpers would wither away during car washes.

38 Comments on 1970 Chevy Vega

1. The Tall Boy Scout // July 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm // Reply

What would happen if it just all “whithered away”…

2. It looks cool

3. Apparently, this is a giant Alka-Seltzer tablet. Dump it in a pool and watch it dissolve!

4. Not a bad car, sorta looks like the 69 chevelle ss

5. NOW THATS TORTURE TO CHEVY

6. i am the only burrito // July 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm // Reply

it looks like someone made a cheaper, bootleg version of a Stingray

7. best car ever should not be on here i own one it is great

8. Might look good on the outside, but notso good later on (don’t judge a book by its cover).

9. “Mom!” “The engine blew up again”

10. hippiescout151 // June 29, 2011 at 11:19 am // Reply

give it a tune-up, maybe a few repl. parts and iz mine!

11. My friend thinks chevy’s are good quality. I can see that

12. wish that it worked

13. Tought cool those are some bad records

14. Worst. Car. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😡

15. trainman77 // June 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm // Reply

i can see why they stopped making it

16. EPIC FAIL

17. fredjoebob // June 24, 2011 at 11:00 am // Reply

My parents had the ’74 model with the aluminum engine block. They used to comment about going to get a quart of gas and fill up the oil…

18. I had a 1973 Pontiac Astre, which is Pontiac’s version of the Vega. I loved that car. Trouble is – if I had it now, I’m 29 years older and 50 lbs. heavier. I’d probably never get in and out of the thing !!

19. My parents had one; you could see the road through the hole in the back floor. My sister also had the misfortune of owning one (her first car); it was a lemon-yellow color (with rust spots). ‘Nuff said.

20. it a classic car so who cars what boyslife says

21. kyletheterrorizer // June 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm // Reply

That’s one cool lookin’ ride!

22. Beatlesfan // June 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm // Reply

Did the bumpers just DISENTIGRATE or did they fall off?

23. awesome car but worst complaints i’ve ever heard

24. I bet the Japanese cars were Honda.

25. i feel so bad for peeps who owned this.