The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

How do you get past the dark riders in the shire?

Games Guru: The trick to getting past the riders is to throw rocks AWAY from the direction you wish to travel. When they go to investigate the noise from the rock, run and hide.

I’m stuck on the level where you play as Frodo, and Merry and Pippin get stuck in Old Man Willow in the Old Forest. Sam is sleeping right in front of you, but you’re not able to wake him up. I have tried throwing rocks at him, but that doesn’t work. If you attack Old Man Willow, he hurts your friends and you lose. I have been stuck on this part for years.

Games Guru: Beating Old Man Willow is a matter of survival, not victory. Do not try to attack Old Man Willow. Simply destroy the roots he shoots at you through the ground. Then dodge and defend yourself against his arms. Keep this up for a few minutes and Tom Bombadil will finish the fight for you.

I’m having a problem beating Old Man Willow in the beginning of the game. I tried your advice (for the PC game) of attacking the roots, but there is no way to damage them and I end up getting killed. I was wondering if I have to do something different for the PS2 version, or if you know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks!

Games Guru: I assume we’re talking about the Vivendi Universal game. Try running around. Old Man Willow will strike at you. When he does, dodge and hit his fists. After you have pulled this trick 10 times, Tom Bombadil will put Old Man Willow to sleep for you. Once he’s asleep, go after Old Man Willow’s lilies.

73 Comments on The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

1. The Fellowship Of The Rings Rocks // April 22, 2007 at 5:22 am // Reply

I cant defeat the old mans willow i try to hit the roots but nothing happens

2. cool dude 101 // April 22, 2007 at 5:03 am // Reply

Can you help me please give me some advice on how to destry the roots on the part were you have to VS the Old Man Willow And i think the GAME IS THE BEST GAME EVER

3. cool dude 101 // April 22, 2007 at 5:01 am // Reply

And joe do you know the bridge were ted is the guy that you have to get the pin for you sneak your way to that bridge there you will see a darkrider on the bridge were ted lives there is a little passage way there its a dead end stand there and throw a rock a bit past the enterance way of the passage way then just push softly on the analog stick and you will creap past him then when you get past him do you know the other town across the bridge go there and go to the green dragon behind the green dragon you will see a passage way follow that dont stop following that one passage way you will come across 2 dark riders and remeber to throw a rock then creap behind them and your done

4. cool dude 101 // April 22, 2007 at 4:55 am // Reply

How do you destroy the roots i hit them with my stick but it does not do anything

5. Shadow112103 // April 22, 2007 at 4:42 am // Reply

Please help me ive been stuck on this bit for 2 years and i think the game is cool

6. Shadow112103 // April 22, 2007 at 4:40 am // Reply

I cant hit the roots when I try I just get hit and when i get up the go back into the ground and there is no way to hit him can you give me some advice please

7. Joe, what version r u using, GBA, PL2? If GBA, you gotta find a path up that leads around and you run off without Sam and the others. You go to an area near a dark rider and your game takes Frodo past them.

8. This Game Stinks

9. IT IS A COOL GAME

10. I AM STUCK AT THE BEGINING WERE U HAVE TO GET PAST THE DARK RIDERS I KEEP GETTING CAULT PLEASE HELP

1 2 3 7