The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

How do you get past the dark riders in the shire?

Games Guru: The trick to getting past the riders is to throw rocks AWAY from the direction you wish to travel. When they go to investigate the noise from the rock, run and hide.

I’m stuck on the level where you play as Frodo, and Merry and Pippin get stuck in Old Man Willow in the Old Forest. Sam is sleeping right in front of you, but you’re not able to wake him up. I have tried throwing rocks at him, but that doesn’t work. If you attack Old Man Willow, he hurts your friends and you lose. I have been stuck on this part for years.

Games Guru: Beating Old Man Willow is a matter of survival, not victory. Do not try to attack Old Man Willow. Simply destroy the roots he shoots at you through the ground. Then dodge and defend yourself against his arms. Keep this up for a few minutes and Tom Bombadil will finish the fight for you.

I’m having a problem beating Old Man Willow in the beginning of the game. I tried your advice (for the PC game) of attacking the roots, but there is no way to damage them and I end up getting killed. I was wondering if I have to do something different for the PS2 version, or if you know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks!

Games Guru: I assume we’re talking about the Vivendi Universal game. Try running around. Old Man Willow will strike at you. When he does, dodge and hit his fists. After you have pulled this trick 10 times, Tom Bombadil will put Old Man Willow to sleep for you. Once he’s asleep, go after Old Man Willow’s lilies.

28 Comments on The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

1. Weilksd;d // June 5, 2008 at 4:03 pm // Reply

HOw do u get willow roots. ” ”

=

2. Terminator // May 7, 2008 at 1:48 pm // Reply

TO bohemian.

If u noticed the dates. I realy don’t think anybody is still on here.

TO GAMES GURU If ur reading this Delete this comment page. IT iz the most pathetic thing ever.

3. Bohemian // May 5, 2008 at 4:39 pm // Reply

I am surprised so many people are stuck on ole’ man willow if your playing PS2 version jump away from his branches then hit his BRANCH repeat BRANCH NOT ROOTS you’ll have to jump away those. The reason im so surprised is because i was up at 3:46 am trying to beat the black rider part in the Shire at night. The way to get passed that is to (as has been said before but not very clearly) throw a rock down the road that would take him the opposite direaction from you and the bridge. Then make sure your alone then go across the bridge. After that there will be one or two more black riders try the same trick with them or post another comment if you have more probs. As to the Moria Gate im stumped because i was’nt at that part very long and it was a year or two ago. I’ll try playing again and see what i come up with.

4. To ss

Rigt on!!!

5. Gandalf rules!!!!!!!

6. Terminator // March 19, 2008 at 2:27 pm // Reply

you can duplicate some Items by dropping them in a place and then picking them up going out then going back in it should still be there. Note. I discoverd this cheat by accident when i dropped a blue feather. I don’t think you can duplicate Items that restore health. good luck though…

7. Billy aka fred :) // December 14, 2007 at 8:55 pm // Reply

I beat this game along time ago people need help ask me

8. You have to hit the roots after you hit the roots they go back into the ground keep going around hitting every one and old man willow will try to smash you when his hands are on the ground hit them.

9. lord of the ring is so cool

10. im stuck on the bit where you r gandolf now i have to find the entrance of moria im pretty sure im in front of it but nothing happens any tips

11. very angry girl! // July 18, 2007 at 11:31 am // Reply

I would just absolutely LOVE to play my LOTR game … however the origional site for the game is gone. What does that have to do with anything u ask? Well it wont let me play the game. If anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it, please inform me.

12. Ash The king of games // July 16, 2007 at 1:04 pm // Reply

I got the lord of the rings on pc but i got to the part where you have to v old man willow tree or what ever its called but i cant kill him. he just kills merry and pipin. what shall i do?

13. Master of games // April 25, 2007 at 6:52 pm // Reply

WELL,who made this game?

14. I THINK LORD OF THE RINGS RULEZ

15. cool dude 101 // April 22, 2007 at 5:24 am // Reply

Y are you deleting the stuff that is say can you stop it

16. The Fellowship Of The Rings Rocks // April 22, 2007 at 5:22 am // Reply

I cant defeat the old mans willow i try to hit the roots but nothing happens

17. cool dude 101 // April 22, 2007 at 5:03 am // Reply

Can you help me please give me some advice on how to destry the roots on the part were you have to VS the Old Man Willow And i think the GAME IS THE BEST GAME EVER

18. cool dude 101 // April 22, 2007 at 5:01 am // Reply

And joe do you know the bridge were ted is the guy that you have to get the pin for you sneak your way to that bridge there you will see a darkrider on the bridge were ted lives there is a little passage way there its a dead end stand there and throw a rock a bit past the enterance way of the passage way then just push softly on the analog stick and you will creap past him then when you get past him do you know the other town across the bridge go there and go to the green dragon behind the green dragon you will see a passage way follow that dont stop following that one passage way you will come across 2 dark riders and remeber to throw a rock then creap behind them and your done

19. cool dude 101 // April 22, 2007 at 4:55 am // Reply

How do you destroy the roots i hit them with my stick but it does not do anything

20. Shadow112103 // April 22, 2007 at 4:42 am // Reply

Please help me ive been stuck on this bit for 2 years and i think the game is cool

21. Shadow112103 // April 22, 2007 at 4:40 am // Reply

I cant hit the roots when I try I just get hit and when i get up the go back into the ground and there is no way to hit him can you give me some advice please

22. Joe, what version r u using, GBA, PL2? If GBA, you gotta find a path up that leads around and you run off without Sam and the others. You go to an area near a dark rider and your game takes Frodo past them.

23. This Game Stinks

24. IT IS A COOL GAME

25. I AM STUCK AT THE BEGINING WERE U HAVE TO GET PAST THE DARK RIDERS I KEEP GETTING CAULT PLEASE HELP

1 2 3