Games Guru

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

How do you get past the dark riders in the shire?

Games Guru: The trick to getting past the riders is to throw rocks AWAY from the direction you wish to travel. When they go to investigate the noise from the rock, run and hide.

I’m stuck on the level where you play as Frodo, and Merry and Pippin get stuck in Old Man Willow in the Old Forest. Sam is sleeping right in front of you, but you’re not able to wake him up. I have tried throwing rocks at him, but that doesn’t work. If you attack Old Man Willow, he hurts your friends and you lose. I have been stuck on this part for years.

Games Guru: Beating Old Man Willow is a matter of survival, not victory. Do not try to attack Old Man Willow. Simply destroy the roots he shoots at you through the ground. Then dodge and defend yourself against his arms. Keep this up for a few minutes and Tom Bombadil will finish the fight for you.

I’m having a problem beating Old Man Willow in the beginning of the game. I tried your advice (for the PC game) of attacking the roots, but there is no way to damage them and I end up getting killed. I was wondering if I have to do something different for the PS2 version, or if you know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks!

Games Guru: I assume we’re talking about the Vivendi Universal game. Try running around. Old Man Willow will strike at you. When he does, dodge and hit his fists. After you have pulled this trick 10 times, Tom Bombadil will put Old Man Willow to sleep for you. Once he’s asleep, go after Old Man Willow’s lilies.

Comments about “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”

1. Lulu says:

In the mines of moria where is the glitch a lot of people know about? I can get to the mine but I have no idea where to go. It’s been over a year since I’ve been in the mines and I’m still searching for it.

2. fofo123456789 says:

P.S.S.S.S Gandolf is trying to figure out the code on the MORIA gate

3. fofo123456789 says:

P.S.S.S do you have to hit the center tentical

4. fofo123456789 says:

P.S.S Billy aka fred:) can you help me

5. fofo123456789 says:

P.S Gandolf is trying to figure out the code on the gate

6. fofo123456789 says:

I need to get through the part where the watcher in the water is attacking you and you are Argorn

7. Eowyn clone says:

I assume, kiloper, you are referring to the bridge leaving Hobitton. You have to make the black rider go to the opposite side of the bridge and then use the sneak (shift + arrow) to get past him. Make sure that you constantly throw stones a way from you. Once you are on the same side of the river as him and safely out of the way, you can make him go back onto the bridge. It took me forever to figure out how to sneak around him, though, so watch out. This games annoyingly frustrating that way.

8. Eowyn Clone says:

To defeat the balrog in moria, you have to find the pattern. It consists of standing on the bridge (make sure you dodge the fire balls on your way into position) just out of his reach, hit him once to stun him with a spell, running up and hit him a few times with the sword, and repeating many, many times. You have to stun him every other hit, otherwise he’ll kill you immediately with the flaming sword. It takes a while to catch on to the pattern, and once you do make sure you don’t mess it up.

9. Blargh says:

for old man willow dont hit the roots youll just die hit the branches in shape of fists

10. awwy says:

how to defeat the balrog in moria?

11. me says:

i am near tom’s house and i don’t know where the missing hobbits are. can anyone help me?

12. kiloper says:

how can i defeat the spider in forest?

13. kiloper says:

how can i come across the bridge? it is black rider on it and throwing stones does not help

14. Buddy says:

Where do you find the blue feather? I’m in the old forest.

15. Eowyn Clone says:

P.S. That scene was definitely not in the book, which is what I thought this game was based off of. It also wasn’t in the movie.

16. Eowyn Clone says:

Never mind, I beat him. I just had to find a pattern. I can’t figure out how to beat the Nazgul on the winged beast, however. There just doesn’t seem to be a pattern, and I can’t get a good vantage point to shoot arrows at it without it killing me. Any suggestions?

17. Eowyn Clone says:

How do you beat the Balrog with Gandalf? Every time I stun him and get close enough to attack with Glamdring he awakes and kills me with one swipe of his sword before I can stun him again.

18. jj-inhansed says:

ps i have the lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring for gameboy advanced. i at least want a number to call to help me

19. jj-inhansed says:

im in the mines of moria and after the glitch i went into a room and saved when i went to play the next day i was stuck in a pitch black room and i cant get out. i needhelp with this bug

20. Dragonfeind2000 says:

I have it for XBOX and its the exact sam e game though the BLACK RIDERS (a.k.a.Nazgeul)dont fall for the rock.

21. Shard says:

I’m having the same problem as Wazzup… i play the pc game, what do i do? i tried attacking his roots but pippin and merry end up dying. i tried waking up sam, but he just bleeds and goes back to sleep, i tried attacking his trunk and branches, but i either die or p. and m. do. Using the ring doesn’t do anything but get me possesed. HELP!!

22. Wazzup!. says:

Joe… just throw rocks to distract the Black Riders and run as fast as u can away from where u throw the rock.

23. wazzup! says:

NOTHING YOU”RE TELLING ME TO DO WORKS!!!!!!! I ALWAYS LOSE!!!!! maybe i’m just cursed.

24. wazzup! says:

I’m doing what u told me to with the dodge and attack his trunk but then it goes ‘ you have attacked Old Man Willow’s trunk one to many times Merry and Pippin have perished.’ what am i supposed to do?

25. dee says:

hi anyone

please help im stuck on 2 hall i cant find the rock to keep the door open iv been all over but just cant find it its doing my head in HELP!

26. Weilksd;d says:

HOw do u get willow roots. ” ”

=

27. Terminator says:

TO bohemian.

If u noticed the dates. I realy don’t think anybody is still on here.

TO GAMES GURU If ur reading this Delete this comment page. IT iz the most pathetic thing ever.

28. Bohemian says:

I am surprised so many people are stuck on ole’ man willow if your playing PS2 version jump away from his branches then hit his BRANCH repeat BRANCH NOT ROOTS you’ll have to jump away those. The reason im so surprised is because i was up at 3:46 am trying to beat the black rider part in the Shire at night. The way to get passed that is to (as has been said before but not very clearly) throw a rock down the road that would take him the opposite direaction from you and the bridge. Then make sure your alone then go across the bridge. After that there will be one or two more black riders try the same trick with them or post another comment if you have more probs. As to the Moria Gate im stumped because i was’nt at that part very long and it was a year or two ago. I’ll try playing again and see what i come up with.

29. Termiator says:

To ss

Rigt on!!!

30. ss says:

Gandalf rules!!!!!!!

31. Terminator says:

you can duplicate some Items by dropping them in a place and then picking them up going out then going back in it should still be there. Note. I discoverd this cheat by accident when i dropped a blue feather. I don’t think you can duplicate Items that restore health. good luck though…

32. Billy aka fred :) says:

I beat this game along time ago people need help ask me

33. General says:

You have to hit the roots after you hit the roots they go back into the ground keep going around hitting every one and old man willow will try to smash you when his hands are on the ground hit them.

34. evildud says:

lord of the ring is so cool

35. matty says:

im stuck on the bit where you r gandolf now i have to find the entrance of moria im pretty sure im in front of it but nothing happens any tips

36. very angry girl! says:

I would just absolutely LOVE to play my LOTR game … however the origional site for the game is gone. What does that have to do with anything u ask? Well it wont let me play the game. If anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it, please inform me.

37. Ash The king of games says:

I got the lord of the rings on pc but i got to the part where you have to v old man willow tree or what ever its called but i cant kill him. he just kills merry and pipin. what shall i do?

38. Master of games says:

WELL,who made this game?

39. shrek says:

I THINK LORD OF THE RINGS RULEZ

40. cool dude 101 says:

Y are you deleting the stuff that is say can you stop it

41. The Fellowship Of The Rings Rocks says:

I cant defeat the old mans willow i try to hit the roots but nothing happens

42. cool dude 101 says:

Can you help me please give me some advice on how to destry the roots on the part were you have to VS the Old Man Willow And i think the GAME IS THE BEST GAME EVER

43. cool dude 101 says:

And joe do you know the bridge were ted is the guy that you have to get the pin for you sneak your way to that bridge there you will see a darkrider on the bridge were ted lives there is a little passage way there its a dead end stand there and throw a rock a bit past the enterance way of the passage way then just push softly on the analog stick and you will creap past him then when you get past him do you know the other town across the bridge go there and go to the green dragon behind the green dragon you will see a passage way follow that dont stop following that one passage way you will come across 2 dark riders and remeber to throw a rock then creap behind them and your done

44. cool dude 101 says:

How do you destroy the roots i hit them with my stick but it does not do anything

45. Shadow112103 says:

Please help me ive been stuck on this bit for 2 years and i think the game is cool

46. Shadow112103 says:

I cant hit the roots when I try I just get hit and when i get up the go back into the ground and there is no way to hit him can you give me some advice please

47. Unknown says:

Joe, what version r u using, GBA, PL2? If GBA, you gotta find a path up that leads around and you run off without Sam and the others. You go to an area near a dark rider and your game takes Frodo past them.

48. Big Pete says:

This Game Stinks

49. JOE says:

IT IS A COOL GAME

50. JOE says:

I AM STUCK AT THE BEGINING WERE U HAVE TO GET PAST THE DARK RIDERS I KEEP GETTING CAULT PLEASE HELP

Write a comment about “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”

Nickname: