The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

How do you get past the dark riders in the shire?

Games Guru: The trick to getting past the riders is to throw rocks AWAY from the direction you wish to travel. When they go to investigate the noise from the rock, run and hide.

I’m stuck on the level where you play as Frodo, and Merry and Pippin get stuck in Old Man Willow in the Old Forest. Sam is sleeping right in front of you, but you’re not able to wake him up. I have tried throwing rocks at him, but that doesn’t work. If you attack Old Man Willow, he hurts your friends and you lose. I have been stuck on this part for years.

Games Guru: Beating Old Man Willow is a matter of survival, not victory. Do not try to attack Old Man Willow. Simply destroy the roots he shoots at you through the ground. Then dodge and defend yourself against his arms. Keep this up for a few minutes and Tom Bombadil will finish the fight for you.

I’m having a problem beating Old Man Willow in the beginning of the game. I tried your advice (for the PC game) of attacking the roots, but there is no way to damage them and I end up getting killed. I was wondering if I have to do something different for the PS2 version, or if you know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks!

Games Guru: I assume we’re talking about the Vivendi Universal game. Try running around. Old Man Willow will strike at you. When he does, dodge and hit his fists. After you have pulled this trick 10 times, Tom Bombadil will put Old Man Willow to sleep for you. Once he’s asleep, go after Old Man Willow’s lilies.

25 Comments on The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

1. In the mines of moria where is the glitch a lot of people know about? I can get to the mine but I have no idea where to go. It’s been over a year since I’ve been in the mines and I’m still searching for it.

2. fofo123456789 // June 14, 2009 at 8:13 pm // Reply

P.S.S.S.S Gandolf is trying to figure out the code on the MORIA gate

3. fofo123456789 // June 14, 2009 at 8:10 pm // Reply

P.S.S.S do you have to hit the center tentical

4. fofo123456789 // June 14, 2009 at 11:33 am // Reply

P.S.S Billy aka fred:) can you help me

5. fofo123456789 // June 14, 2009 at 11:27 am // Reply

P.S Gandolf is trying to figure out the code on the gate

6. fofo123456789 // June 14, 2009 at 11:08 am // Reply

I need to get through the part where the watcher in the water is attacking you and you are Argorn

7. Eowyn clone // April 8, 2009 at 7:10 pm // Reply

I assume, kiloper, you are referring to the bridge leaving Hobitton. You have to make the black rider go to the opposite side of the bridge and then use the sneak (shift + arrow) to get past him. Make sure that you constantly throw stones a way from you. Once you are on the same side of the river as him and safely out of the way, you can make him go back onto the bridge. It took me forever to figure out how to sneak around him, though, so watch out. This games annoyingly frustrating that way.

8. Eowyn Clone // April 8, 2009 at 7:05 pm // Reply

To defeat the balrog in moria, you have to find the pattern. It consists of standing on the bridge (make sure you dodge the fire balls on your way into position) just out of his reach, hit him once to stun him with a spell, running up and hit him a few times with the sword, and repeating many, many times. You have to stun him every other hit, otherwise he’ll kill you immediately with the flaming sword. It takes a while to catch on to the pattern, and once you do make sure you don’t mess it up.

9. for old man willow dont hit the roots youll just die hit the branches in shape of fists

10. how to defeat the balrog in moria?

11. i am near tom’s house and i don’t know where the missing hobbits are. can anyone help me?

12. how can i defeat the spider in forest?

13. how can i come across the bridge? it is black rider on it and throwing stones does not help

14. Where do you find the blue feather? I’m in the old forest.

15. P.S. That scene was definitely not in the book, which is what I thought this game was based off of. It also wasn’t in the movie.

16. Never mind, I beat him. I just had to find a pattern. I can’t figure out how to beat the Nazgul on the winged beast, however. There just doesn’t seem to be a pattern, and I can’t get a good vantage point to shoot arrows at it without it killing me. Any suggestions?

17. How do you beat the Balrog with Gandalf? Every time I stun him and get close enough to attack with Glamdring he awakes and kills me with one swipe of his sword before I can stun him again.

18. ps i have the lord of the rings the fellowship of the ring for gameboy advanced. i at least want a number to call to help me

19. im in the mines of moria and after the glitch i went into a room and saved when i went to play the next day i was stuck in a pitch black room and i cant get out. i needhelp with this bug

20. Dragonfeind2000 // October 25, 2008 at 6:39 am // Reply

I have it for XBOX and its the exact sam e game though the BLACK RIDERS (a.k.a.Nazgeul)dont fall for the rock.

21. I’m having the same problem as Wazzup… i play the pc game, what do i do? i tried attacking his roots but pippin and merry end up dying. i tried waking up sam, but he just bleeds and goes back to sleep, i tried attacking his trunk and branches, but i either die or p. and m. do. Using the ring doesn’t do anything but get me possesed. HELP!!

22. Joe… just throw rocks to distract the Black Riders and run as fast as u can away from where u throw the rock.

23. NOTHING YOU”RE TELLING ME TO DO WORKS!!!!!!! I ALWAYS LOSE!!!!! maybe i’m just cursed.

24. I’m doing what u told me to with the dodge and attack his trunk but then it goes ‘ you have attacked Old Man Willow’s trunk one to many times Merry and Pippin have perished.’ what am i supposed to do?

25. hi anyone

please help im stuck on 2 hall i cant find the rock to keep the door open iv been all over but just cant find it its doing my head in HELP!