Minecraft

I’m playing the tutorial for Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition, on survival mode, with peaceful difficulty, and yet I keep seeing monsters, which sometimes attack me! Why is this happening, and is it possible to make it stop? Please help, and thank you.

Games Guru: Unfortunately, others have had this issue, too. First, don’t play online. Second, when you load your world, move the difficulty bar from peaceful to easy and than back to peaceful. Then start the game. That should do it, I’m told.

How do I get to a village? I type in a seed, but it never works.

Games Guru: Minecraft can be complex, as I’m sure you know. It’s not as easy as typing in a seed.

Here are various methods that might help: http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Village-in-Minecraft

No matter how hard I try, I cannot build anything impressive in Minecraft. Do you have any tips on what and how to build an awesome structure?

Games Guru: It was like that when I started, too. Minecraft takes a ton of commitment, and because of the time involved, it’s not for everyone. But here’s how to build a mansion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGmd_NspReM

And here’s another way to construct one: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/508955-tutorial-easy-to-build-mansion-26-images/

Games Guru, how rare is lapis lazuli and redstone? Thank you.

Games Guru: I got this from the Minecraft Wiki: “Lapis lazuli can be mined with a stone or better pickaxe. It is usually found at a depth of 31 and below. The highest concentration of lapis lazuli ore is found between levels 13 and 16. At this level the concentration is about 0.083% of all blocks (0.1013% of stone). The concentration drops linearly as one gets farther from these rows. Overall, lapis lazuli is around 1.1 times as common as diamond ore with an average of 3.43 lapis lazuli per chunk.”

And here’s everything you need to know about redstone: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Redstone

How do you spawn hero brine?

Games Guru:  There’s a mystery surrounding this. Does it really work? Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isIj_gtbTRo

My favorite game is Minecraft. Do you know any codes for me?

Games Guru: There are no actual codes that I know of. If you’re playing on a PC, there are a lot of keyboard commands that are helpful. Here’s the full list:

• ascend – Moves you to the next platform above your position
  • atlantis – Toggles atlantis mode on/off
  • biome – Tells you what biome you are currently in
  • bind {COMMANDPARAMS} – Binds a command to a keyboard button.
  • bindid {ARGS} – Binds a command to a keyboard key using the key id
  • bring [ENTITY] – Brings the specified entity to you.
  • cannon [STRENGTH] – Shoots a primed TNT in the direction you are pointing.
  • chest – Allow access of chests
  • clear – Clears the console
  • clearwater – Toggles water clarity on/off
  • clone [QUANTITY] – Clones the NPC which you are looking at
  • config – Allows you to set the global configuration file as your current configuration
  • confuse [DISTANCE] – Confuses nearby mobs
  • confusesuicide – ?
  • cyclepainting – Cycles through the painting which you are pointing at
  • damage – Turns player damage on/off
  • defuse [all] – Defuses any TNT nearby which has been hit, drops 1 tnt in its place
  • descend – Moves you to the next platform below your position
  • destroy [all] – Destroys the current item
  • difficulty – Sets the difficulty to the specified level (0-3)
  • drops – Turns item drops on/off, having them turned off will make the game run a little bit faster, and also stop your inventory from filling.
  • dropstore – This command transfers everything in your inventory into achest that it creates next to you.
  • duplicate [all] – Duplicates and drops the currently selected item stack
  • explode [SIZE] – Sets off an explosion in your current location.
  • exterminate [SIZE] – KillNPC with style, kills the NPC you are pointing at
  • extinguish|ext [all] – Puts out all nearby fire (or all fire)
  • falldamage – Turns fall damage on/off
  • firedamage – Turns fire damage on/off
  • flammable [CATCH] [SPREAD] – Sets the specified block at the flammability level
  • fly [SPEED] – Allows you to turn flying mode on/off, speed specified your flying speed
  • freeze – Freezes mobs so that they cannot move or attack you
  • goto – Goto a waypoint
  • grow [all] – Grows all saplings/wheat on the map.
  • heal – Heals a player the specified number of points
  • health – Sets the health of a player to pre-defined figures
  • help [COMMAND] – Gives general help when COMMAND isn’t specified, gives specific help when COMMAND is specified. Same as /h
  • helmet [ITEM] [QTY] [DAMAGE] – Specifies the helmet the player wears
  • home – Teleport to spawn point
  • infiniteitems – Toggles infinite items on/off
  • instantkill – Instantly kills any NPC you hit
  • instantmine – Turns instant mining on/off
  • instantplant [grow] – Instantly plants saplings into the ground, if grow is specified the tree will when instantly gro
  • item [QUANTITY] [DAMAGE] – Gives player item, if quantity isn’t specified maximum amount of that item. Same as /give and /i
  • itemdamage – Turn item damage on/off. This means you will never have torepair an item again
  • itemname – Use this command to discover the itemname and ID of your currently selected item.
  • itemstack [QUANTITY] – Gives the player the specified quantity of maximum item stacks of the item.
  • jump – Moves you from where you are to where your mouse is pointing. Note: This command is buggy and may put you in the block you move to.
  • keepitems – Turn this on and you will keep your items when you die.
  • kill – Kills the current player
  • killall – Kills all of the specified mob type
  • killnpc [all|monster|animal] – Kills all living creatures nearby.
  • light – Turns permanent lighting on and off
  • listwaypoints – Lists all waypoints. Same as /l
  • longerlegs – Makes your legs longer so you can walk up 1 block high
  • macro – Runs a macro
  • maxstack [ITEMID|ITEMNAME|all] [STACKSIZE] – Configures the maximum stack size of that item between 1 and 64.
  • mobdamage – Mobs cannot give you damage
  • msg – This commands adds a message to the console.
  • music [play|pause|skip|stop|VOLUME] – Requests a music track to be played, there is a limitation of at MAX 2 tracks per day. Set the volume by specifying VOLUME.
  • noclip – Turns no clip on/off.
  • output – This just toggles SPC messages on/off, useful for macros/scripts.
  • phelp [COMMAND] – Provides help for plugins
  • platform – Puts a glass square under your feet
  • plugin – Lists all loaded plugins and also allows you to enable/disable plugins
  • pos – Gives current player position. Same as /p
  • reach – Sets the player reach distance.
  • refill [all] – Re-stocks your items in your inventory to the maximum ammount
  • rem – Removes the specified waypoint
  • removedrops [all] – This command removes item drops from the world.
  • rename – Allows you rename a command to a new name
  • repair [all] – Repairs the currently selected item to full health
  • reset – Resets the player settings
  • reskin – Reskins the NPC which you are pointing at to the specifiedskin
  • return – Moves the player to the last position before teleport
  • ride – Allows you to ride any NPC which you point at
  • sc – Added scripting support (more information coming soon)
  • search – Allows you to search for items using a name
  • set – Mark a waypoint on the world
  • setjump [JUMP|reset] – Sets the height that you jump. Note: Turns fall damage off if the jump is configured to move than 1.
  • setspawn [ ] – Set the current position as the spawn point, if X Y Z are specified sets that position as spawn point
  • setspeed [SPEED|reset] – Sets the speed that the player moves
  • skin – Change your players skin to ANY minecraft player
  • slippery [SLIPPERYNESS] – Makes the specified block slippery
  • spawn [QTY] – Allows you to spawn an individual creature.
  • spawnportal – Spawns a portal nearby the player
  • spawnstack – Spawns the specified creature a few blocks away from your current position (use “/spawn list” to get a list of creature names and codes).
  • superheat [all] – Turns items which are furnace-able into their furnaced form
  • superpunch [DISTANCE|reset] – Hit that NPC with a punch like no other
  • tele – Teleport to X Y Z coordinates. Same as /t
  • time [set|get|day|night [minute|hour|day [TIME]]] – Set and get the time within minecraft.
  • timeschedule > – Sets a period of time (HH:MM format), this will make minecraft always within this time.
  • unbind – Unbinds the specified key from a command.
  • unbindid – Unbinds a command from a keyboard key using the key id
  • useportal – Instantly transfers you to the nether, use it again to go back.
  • waterdamage – Turns water damage on/off
  • weather – Toggles weather on/off
  • world – Allows you to explicitly, have control over your world.
  • world load – Loads the specified FILE, this allows you to play ANY save on your computer, not just World1-5, and can have any name
  • world save – Explicitly saves your game then returns to it
  • world seed [SEED] – Allows you to see and change the seed of the map, so it will generate custom terrain
  • world new [FILENAME] [SEED] – Creates a new map at the specified location
  • world exit – Lets you exit a game without saving (perfect from when a creeper blows something up)
  • world list – Lists all the saves which you can load from “.minecraft/saves”
  • world backup – Allows you to backup your current world into .minecraft/backup

Can you find out some Dwarf Castle servers? I have been searching for four months straight!

Games Guru: Go here for a list of all the Minecraft servers: http://minecraftservers.org/

Games Guru, how do you read the enchantments for tools and armor? I read about it on the Minecraft Wiki, but I still do not understand.

Games Guru: It’s hard, but not that hard. And the writers of the Wikis aren’t that clear. This kid has a decent video that should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G4-u0avqGU

Hey Games Guru, do you know any EASY ways to find diamonds? I watched a Youtube video that said to dig straight down, but I’m not following that.

Games Guru: This can be tricky and takes time. So I’m sending you to a site that has the scoop, so to speak: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/8310/whats-the-most-efficient-minecraft-mining-strategy

Do you have any tips for this game?

Games Guru: Wow. That would fill a book, especially since I don’t know what you want to do. The thing that’s hardest to do is to defeat the dragon. But even telling you that would take the whole column. Go to Google and search for Minecraft Wiki. It will give you a ton of information. Minecraft rocks!

678 Comments on Minecraft

1. amazing bullfrog // May 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm // Reply

minecraft is the best game ever#1

2. Percy Jackson // May 2, 2013 at 12:08 am // Reply

How do you use the keyboard commands that the Guru gave?

• MDofficial // May 26, 2013 at 9:00 pm // Reply

PercyJackson,
      To use a command, go onto the chat and type / (command you want) and press enter and it should do it. Are you new to minecraft?

3. forest123 // May 1, 2013 at 6:06 pm // Reply

I like minecraft my friends told me obout it one day now its my favorite game!if you don’t play minecraft already you should its only $27.oo so you should play!!!!!

4. GamesGuru,
    Aren’t those commands all for the Single-player-commands mod?

5. Anyone try minecraft 2.0 yet? lol

6. lightning // May 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm // Reply

very good

7. xander52 // May 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm // Reply

Hey gamesguru i think those keyboard shortcuts are in the single player commands mod or in classic.

8. spyderwillster // April 30, 2013 at 8:55 am // Reply

I know how to enchant but not how to read the letters.
    first you make an enchanting table, then kill stuff and mine ores to get XP. Then you use that XP to enchant things.

9. it wont let me play how do i?

10. wiimaster101 // April 23, 2013 at 6:33 pm // Reply

YEAH! CUBIC WORLDS!

11. mariomariomario&mario // April 23, 2013 at 5:54 pm // Reply

Try out the Better World Generation 4 mod. GREAT. MOD. YOU. WILL. NOT. REGRET. DOWNLOADING.

12. Mine craft is pretty fun I guess, I only like multiplayer though

• MDofficial // May 27, 2013 at 6:37 am // Reply

I wish the L.A.N. worlds ACTUALY worked, then you could play with your sibling and friends without having to go on public servers.

13. Hey mask60, how do you decode the letters in an enchanting table?

• Hey guys, my trick to finding diamonds and other things is:
      Stand on surface and mine straight down ten blocks,(only bring wooden tools and a crafting table and 18 wooden planks… Craft the rest there this way if you do fall you don’t lose anything important) after you reach the ten, you make a 5×5 room. After that place your crafting table in the room and make a chest. From there make a( I will comment rest later

• ok I actualy got my decoder ( well actually it is a cheat sheat) from google images so
      I typed in “minecraft how to translate enchantment letters”but it is hard to give it to you. But I can tell you that A is a upsidedown J.

P.S. if there is anymore Questions just ask me mask60.

14. Rock Star 627 // April 11, 2013 at 3:54 pm // Reply

I memorized how to make a redstone-operated cobblestone generator for PC and Xbox! Once you do it, it’s not that hard.

• Ummm…. To make a cobblestone generator you only need a water bucket and a lava bucket. Make flowing lava run into flowing water.

15. SEAMONSTER // April 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm // Reply

minecraft is awesome I found s desrt temple and desert village

16. Try a lot of red stone ,tnt ,daylight sencer,redstone torch and despencer with more tnt
    WARNING EATREAM BUGS,AND LAG

17. Try a red stone torch,sticky piston,repeater,daylight sencor and command block.
    WARNING EXTREAM LAG

18. Herobine sighting!!!!……..
    My skin.

19. I love this game but it takes up my time :/

20. Is the minecraft disk for Xbox real?

21. 12345 simple

22. I have the kindle fire version. For the seeds, I typed in infinite and then the whole world was just one island

23. weatherdude // March 20, 2013 at 9:12 am // Reply

i love minecraft!!!!
    and i want the tornado mod

24. Ash 100 (Ashermd in mc) // March 19, 2013 at 9:06 pm // Reply

trap chest? how does it work? In 1.5.0 PC

25. YepThatsMe // March 19, 2013 at 8:13 pm // Reply

Herobrine isnt real!!!!!

26. minecraft pocket edition on kindle is best. put nyan in for seed and theres lava.

27. I know how to get ender fabric. Just type in /give name 119.

p.s. I can also can decode enchantment letters.

• MinecraftKnowItAll // March 19, 2013 at 5:09 pm // Reply

Its actually an ender portal and will teleport you to where all the enderman and the enderdragon is.

28. i want to play mind craft so bad but my dad won’t let me all my friends tell me it’s so awesome i’ve heardthe version on a phone isn’t as good as the pc version.

29. I have a 3ds and I want to play it on the 3ds so I cant wait till it comes out on the 3ds.

30. too bad they took away herobrine.

• MinecraftKnow-it-all // March 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm // Reply

Herobrine never exsisted. At least, not on Minecraft…

• mariomariomario&mario // April 23, 2013 at 5:50 pm //

But you can MAKE Herobrine appear with this mod called The Herobrine Mod.

WARNING!
        This mod can give you heart attacks, make you wet your pants, and give you nightmares.
        I tried it out, it made me SHRIEK AND SCREAM to death. If you want to use this mod, fine. Go ahead. Just make sure you’ll handle shocks and have watched a lot of extreme horror movies. You have been warned…

• yes he did.

31. I might get minecraft on my birthday. So thats exactly 1 week after the 1.5 update.

p.s. I might do youtube videos called “Let’s play minecraft” so I will tell you about that.
    also if you dont have xbox live on april 30 it will come out on a disc.

32. i have minecraft one time my brother found a npc village near spawn

.p.s i can’t tell you seed because i deleted the world =o( sorry

.p.s.s i made a tree house withe 2 floors first enchantment table second living room and a mine cart running to another tree if i’m not mistaken its superblasterman or super blastermans

33. how do you find herobrine in vinilla

34. Mineman46000 rocks

35. Sabreboy2645 // March 9, 2013 at 10:17 am // Reply

If you find Herobrine, install the flans mod,my friend defeated him with that mod(+ some
    others).

36. cuddlypanda // March 9, 2013 at 8:21 am // Reply

minecraft is the best game ever!

37. Tea face is boss // March 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm // Reply

Awesome I love it sweet

38. i dont see whats so great about the real version. i like PE’s controls. ._.

• Mr. Minecraft // March 12, 2013 at 4:07 pm // Reply

Well, let’s see, the real version has… enchanting,the Nether, the End, the Ender Dragon, Endermen, redstone, anvils, potions, caverns, ravines, mine shafts, strongholds, cats, dogs, the Wither, multiplayer chat, skins, shall I continue?
      PCE is in version 1.5 official release while PE is in Alfa 0.6

• when does minecraft 1.5 come out. because i was just at minecraft home page and it said 1.5 2 hours ago.

p.s. I thought it would be 1.4.8

• Exactly bro, u even played the full version? Better controls, more features (plus the Redstone Update [1.5.0], which is awesome), world-wide multiplayer, more food, armor, mobs, bosses, blocks, skins, maps, weapons, redstone circuitry, etc. EVERYTHING IS BETTER. Believe it.

39. redpuffleguy // March 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm // Reply

Can I play on anybody’s server?

40. My friend helped me make a underground house!I don’t DARE go out of the game because if you do you’ll lose your house!

41. just found dimonds

42. Sabreboy2645 // March 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm // Reply

I just LOVE this game. I’ve even built some castles myself!

43. the guy with the face // March 1, 2013 at 8:00 pm // Reply

whens the next update?

44. dont pout just keep the creepers out

45. stay away from lava and creepers and its the best game ever

46. Does anyone know tips for PE because I like just got it and don’t really know any tips. I’ve only found a couple of pieces of iron.

• Mr. Minecraft // March 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm // Reply

The Pocket Edition is new, so not many people have tips. In the next update there will be caverns, so finding ores will be a lot easier.

• The Seed Thule Has A TON Of Rares.B4 My 1st Night, I Found 14 Diamonds, 18 gold ingot,and 27 iron ingot! #Thule #MinecraftPE #Rares!!!

47. i love mincarft but i have never played it