How to get a player’s autograph

autograph

It’s not as easy to get an autograph in person as it was when your dad was your age.

Professional athletes today tend to keep their distance, and some will sign autographs only for money. Still, there is a way to get autographs both from current players and from players who have been retired for years: the U.S. mail.

Think you know the rules of baseball? Make the call in our quiz.

Here’s How:

• Go through your sports trading cards and identify a player you would like to ask for an autograph. It’s probably best to start with less well-known players, because they’re less likely to receive as many requests.

• Write a polite, friendly letter asking the player to autograph your card. Remember that athletes, like all celebrities, receive many requests from fans. Writing a thoughtful letter is key.

• If the player is still active, simply mail him your request in care of his team. Addresses for all Major League teams can be found at mlb.com. For retired players, most libraries will have a book or two containing player addresses. Try Jack Smalling’s “The Baseball Autograph Collector’s Handbook,” available in some libraries or at baseballaddresses.com. This book, updated periodically, contains more than 11,000 addresses of players, coaches and umpires.

• Once you have a player’s address, mail the letter and the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and be patient. It can sometimes take months to receive a reply. Good idea: Send only cards of which you have duplicates. Some players won’t respond, and you’ll never see the card again.

• When you do get a signed card back, be sure to send a thank you note.

Laugh your way to the ballpark with these baseball jokes

What Autographs Do You Have?

Tell us which autographs you’ve collected and how you got them in the comments field below.

25 Comments on How to get a player’s autograph

1. i have a yogi berra autograph

2. I got a Mark Miguire rooke and roger clemens and mike greenwell and manny ramirez and derek jeter (i wanted to burn that card but my dad said no because im a Red Sox fan, GO BOSTON) and randy jonson!

3. I went to there but were does it tell tell the adress?

4. This idea is genius!

5. ebzrwhtiger // June 28, 2007 at 12:02 pm // Reply

WOW AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I have four autographs from Miami Dolphins Players and one from a NHRA Drag Racer

7. I have my Tigers hat signed by Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander and also my picture taken with him. He actually just threw a no-hitter on my birthday, yesterday. He was a great guy, I’ll always be rooting for him.

GO TIGERS

8. does anyone have racecar drivers adress

9. does anybody have racing autograph

10. I have Hut Stricklin’s autograph i found it he’s a racecar driver.I met barney hall and got his and keven harvick and greg biffle and jeff burton’s autograph

11. Dedropedro // June 4, 2007 at 8:04 am // Reply

AWSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW I CAN MAYBE(I SAID MAYBE)GET SAMMY SOSA’S AUTOGRAPH!!!

12. jedi_master // June 2, 2007 at 5:20 pm // Reply

YEAH RIGHT! A Babe Ruth Rookie autograph! I REPEAT: YEAH RIGHT!

13. Sweet!

14. i have a henrik lundqvist autograph

15. AutographsRCool // May 19, 2007 at 3:39 pm // Reply

Neat! I have Jim Tressel, Yadier Molina, Jim Lachey, Tony LaRussa, and Archie Griffin’s autograph. Just like the “Hobby Hows” said, I sent each of them a letter with a SASE and a request. I was polite in the letter and tried to be patient for the letters to arrive back. It was really exciting when each one did. Has anyone out there ever gotten Barry Bond’s autograph? :-0

16. Baseball boy // May 16, 2007 at 6:11 pm // Reply

I have a card ball singed by Babe Ruth!

17. Dude1234567890 // May 13, 2007 at 9:04 am // Reply

Liar!

18. Dude1234567890 // May 11, 2007 at 5:33 pm // Reply

I have a babe ruth autograpehd rookie card

Just kiddin

19. donkrylord // May 11, 2007 at 3:46 pm // Reply

I have a bert blyleven micheal cuddyer nolan ryan harmon killebrew scott erickson jason tyner and babe ruthe autographs

20. I have signed Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon rookie cards worth $900 a pop.

21. Galactic Marine // May 9, 2007 at 2:39 pm // Reply

He says to write a thoughtful letter, but doesn’t tell you how!

22. NY GIANTS ROCK // May 7, 2007 at 6:14 pm // Reply

I have Tiki Barber, Joe Morris,Charles Way,Willie Pondor,Sparky Lyle baseball, and Alex Smith jersey card bucs.

23. Dude1234567890 // May 6, 2007 at 6:46 pm // Reply

oh yeah? i have a john smoltz autographed baseball that I got from Sid bream,

And a Randy johnson rookie card, a Manny ramerez rookie card, barry bonds rookie,

john smoltz rookie, Curt schilling rookie,a 1981 Phil Neciro. beat that!!!!!

24. where can you find the wizards address?

1 2 3 4 9