Fun stuff to do

Get that autograph

autograph.jpgIt’s not as easy to get an autograph in person as it was when your dad was your age.

Professional athletes today tend to keep their distance, and some will sign autographs only for money. Still, there is a way to get autographs both from current players and from players who have been retired for years: the U.S. mail.

HERE’S HOW:

• Go through your sports trading cards and identify a player you would like to ask for an autograph. It’s probably best to start with less well-known players, because they’re less likely to receive as many requests.

• Write a polite, friendly letter asking the player to autograph your card. Remember that athletes, like all celebrities, receive many requests from fans. Writing a thoughtful letter is key.

• If the player is still active, simply mail him your request in care of his team. Addresses for all Major League teams can be found at http://www.mlb.com. For retired players, most libraries will have a book or two containing player addresses. Try Jack Smalling’s “The Baseball Autograph Collector’s Handbook,” available in some libraries or at http://www.baseballaddresses.com. This book, updated periodically, contains more than 11,000 addresses of players, coaches and umpires.

• Once you have a player’s address, mail the letter and the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and be patient. It can sometimes take months to receive a reply. Good idea: Send only cards of which you have duplicates. Some players won’t respond, and you’ll never see the card again.

• When you do get a signed card back, be sure to send a thank you note.

WHAT AUTOGRAPHS DO YOU HAVE?

Tell us which autographs you’ve collected and how you got them in the comments field below.

Comments about “Get that autograph”

1. pikles says:

i got a autographed poicture of ichero this way

2. lego man says:

my favorite baseball team is the yankees

3. phils rule says:

i have a piece of Chase Utley’s jersy, and Mark Thmes autograph

4. Spaceface says:

I sent a letter to President Obama and I got an autograghed picture
    of him two months later it was awesome:)

5. Girl Scouts of America and 4-H Member says:

A friend of mine showed me a photograph and baseball bat that was autographed by Willie Mays when he played baseball in the American League Professional Baseball League. It’s neat. It probably isn’t worth much of anything and there probably isn’t a large demand for the autographed photograph since Willie Mays retired from professional baseball several years ago.

6. Boy Scouts of America and 4-H Member says:

I have a really nice photograph that is autographed by all of the County Fair Princesses and the County Fair Queen of our local County Fair. It’s one of my most favorite photographs.

7. Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge Requirement #6 Completion says:

I have a really nice letter autographed by Barbara Mikulski, United States Senator from the State of Maryland that states that “in response to my request, she was pleased to forward me a copy of United States Public Law #109-366 ‘Military Commissions Act of 2006′ which is a copy of a piece of landmark legislation that will be great to show my merit badge counselor as well as for some homework assignments for my social studies class in school. The public law is over fifteen pages in length and quite alot of reading.

8. bob says:

i got a autograph from obama!!!!! soo cool!

9. tony says:

I got an autograph from 2001 homerun derby winner LUIS GONZALEZ.

10. Isaiah says:

I wrote a letter to Roddy White about 3 weeks ago asking for his autograph (I sent a picture for him to sign along with a self-addressed stamped envelope) and I haven’t gotten a response yet.

11. Abby says:

I went to a beatles tribute and the band sighned my flyer.

12. Anonymous says:

I have three balls signed by the whole Blue Jays team, A signed hockey stick by Keith Tkachuk a bunch of signed BASEBALLS FROM THE WINNIPEG GOLDEYES ANOTHER ministick signed by three Manitoba Moose players a card and a football signed by Glenn January A signed picture by Dale Lindsey and an autographed picture of Chris Pronger

13. Red Sox Rock says:

I have a Bronson Arroyo,Chipper Jones and Eli Manning’s autograph’s. I got them all through the mail.

14. Social Security Recipient 216 says:

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulatory Postcard (Notecard) that was autographed by President Ronald Reagan and presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when Ronald Reagan was President of the United States of America.

15. Hiking Over the hill and around the lake 841 says:

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulatory Postcard (Notecard) that was autographed by President Jimmy Carter and presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when Jimmy Carter was President of the United States of America.

16. Patrol Leader, Balsam Fir Tree Patrol, Troop 742 says:

A friend of mine showed me a baseball card that was autographed by Tim Nordbrook when he was a member of the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. A friend of mine also showed me a baseball card and a baseball that was autographed by Ken Singleton when he played for the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. Both players have since long retired from playing baseball for the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team.

17. Patrol Leader, Balsam Fir Patrol, Troop 350 says:

A friend of mine showed me a photograph autographed by Johnny Unitas. A friend of mine showed me a football that was autographed by Johnny Unitas and all of the members of the Baltimore Colts Professional Football Team when Johnny Unitas was one of the several quarterbacks that played on the Baltimore Colts Professional Football Team.

18. bob says:

i am trying to get one from Obama

19. Troop Historian, Troop 375 says:

I have an autographed photograph of Denzel Washington. A friend of mine showed me a football autographed by all of the members of the Baltimore Ravens Professional Football Team which won the Super Bowl in 2000.

20. Second Class Scout, Troop 447 says:

I have autographed baseball cards of Nolan Ryan (pitcher), Al Bumbry and Rick Dempsey (catcher) when they were members of the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. I have an autographed photograph of Jim Palmer and an autographed baseball of Jim Palmer (pitcher) when he was a member of the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team.

21. Troop Guide, Troop 729 says:

A friend of mine showed me an Eagle Scout Award and some other Boy Scout items that were given to an Eagle Scout when President Warren Harding was President of the United States of America. The requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout in the Boy Scout Handbook when Warren Harding was President of the United States of America are quite difficult to accomplish. These items were neat. A friend of mine said that there are similar items that are on display in the Boy Scouts of America Museum.

22. thfdi says:

my great uncle gave me his nolan ryan autograghed ball

23. First Class Scout 781 says:

I have a Reggie Jackson Baseball Card. I also have a baseball card that is autographed by “Boog” Powell when he was a baseball player for the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. A friend of mine showed me a baseball card that was autographed by Brooks Robinson before he was nominated to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

24. Life Scout, Troop 375 says:

A friend of mine showed me an autographed baseball card of Dave Concepcion who played on the Cincinnati Reds. A friend of mine also showed me a Pete Rose Baseball Card when he was manager of the Cincinnati Reds Baseball Team before he was nominated for the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

25. scout says:

I think I wil try it.

26. Baseball Card Boy says:

I just recently recieved Curtis Granderson as a New York Yankee. It took him only 15 days to sign. I also have Mariano Rivera, Mark Martin (NASCAR), Glen Perkins (MLB), Tom Johnson (MLB.

27. Out of Print Boy Scout Handbook 514 says:

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulatory Postcard (Note Card) that was autographed by President Herbert Hoover and presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when Herbert Hoover was President of the United States of America.

28. Karla 310 says:

I have one football autographed by all of the members of the Green Bay Packers Professional Football Team and I have one football autographed by all of the members of the Minnesota Vikings Professional Football Team. Hopefully, these footballs will be worth something in the future.

29. meeeeeeeeee says:

still easy at shorebirds all you do is go to the home side and stick your ball down

30. Schlemmster says:

i have a derek jeter rookie card

31. Creaking Camp Stool 732 says:

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulatory Postcard (Note Card) that was autographed by President Richard Nixon and presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when President Richard Nixon was President of the United States.

32. Me and You and Everyone We Know 350 says:

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulatory Postcard (Notecard) that is autographed by President Barack Obama and presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when President Barack Obama was President of the United States.

33. Still Hiking and Hiking 201 says:

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulory Postcard (Notecard) that was autographed by President George H. W. Bush and was presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout Award National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when President George H. W. Bush was President of the United States of America.

34. Second Class Scout, Troop 825 says:

I have a photograph autographed by Michael Phelps, Olympic medalist in the swimming events of the Summer Olympics that were held in Beijing, China.

35. Second Class Scout, Troop 548 says:

A friend of mine showed me a baseball that was autographed by Eddie Murray before he was inducted into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame.

36. Second Class Scout, Troop 541 says:

I have an autographed photograph signed from the entire cast of the Television Show “Law and Order” and also I have an autographed photograph signed from the entire cast of the Television Show “Weeds”. They are my favorite television shows. I have the DVD set of Law and Order Television Show for all nine seasons and the DVD for the Weeds Television Show for five seasons. These are really great television shows. Hopefully, these autographed photographs will be really great collectible items in the future.

37. coo-coo-bird says:

I also wrote to Laura Bush when she was first lady and got a nice reply back and lots of photos of the White House.

38. coo-coo-bird says:

I have a special hat that was signed by all of the Greensboro Grasshoppers (minor league baseball team) after a baseball camp with the players in 2008. Everyone at he camp got a sheet of uncut baseball cards and the players signed their photos.

39. Go Getter 378 says:

A friend of mine showed me a basketball that had the autographs of all of the members of the Harlem Globetrotters Professional Basketball Team.

40. Danicka 250 says:

A friend of mine has shown me an autographed photograph of Bob Hope in his golf course uniform. He received the autographed photograph several years before Bob Hope died at the age of 100 years old in the 1990′s.

• The Person you don't know says:

I have a football from a indor arena football league that I caught from a kick the went really high. I jumped of my seat and caught it and got it autographed by the whole team. I was the person of the game because I caught the football and they put the cameras on me

41. corky says:

i have an autograph of alex rodriquez

42. smalls says:

I almost got Marlon Bird but the guard told us to go away the game was about to start

43. Jonnyboy says:

I started doing this about 3 years ago. I have some from Alex Rodriguez, Jim Thome, Hank Blalock, and Matt Tuiasosopo

• ducks123 says:

love the tips! tried and am waiting for a response. also, sometimes in certain parks, like the LI Ducks, if you get there early, they line up in the dugout, and sign autographs. sure its minor, but its good to know if your planning on going and better than nothing

44. baseballfanjoshua says:

I’m thinking of getting Chipper Jone’s autograph

45. 123 says:

I got one from Hanley Ramirez and Cody Ross on the Marlins over vacation. But I live in MA so I have David Ortiz, Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, Jason Varitek, Jacoby Ellsbury and I HATE the Yankees but Derek Jeter is a good player so I mailed him a request and got an autograph like 5-7 months later.

46. trainlover72 says:

I got a autograph from Bengie Molina, my favorite catcher on the SF giants, from just bieng patient, and reading this collum. You should @ least try!!!

47. Eagle Scout says:

I think this is a very good idea and might try it ^^

48. PWD Enthusiast says:

This is how i got several autograph’s from Don murphy, I found his mailing card for his book Pinewood. And with the order card i wrote a small letter. telling hem how much i enjoy the pinewood derby! I also sent my pinewood derby car with this!! Surprise when his book pinewood and my pinewood derby car were autographed! Some times all’s it takes is a letter with your autograph!

49. Billy bob says:

I have two balls signed by Jamie Moyer. You just have to be patient and make sure to call them by their last name ( it shows respect)

Write a comment about “Get that autograph”

Nickname: