How to get a player’s autograph

It’s not as easy to get an autograph in person as it was when your dad was your age.

Professional athletes today tend to keep their distance, and some will sign autographs only for money. Still, there is a way to get autographs both from current players and from players who have been retired for years: the U.S. mail.

Think you know the rules of baseball? Make the call in our quiz.

Here’s How:

• Go through your sports trading cards and identify a player you would like to ask for an autograph. It’s probably best to start with less well-known players, because they’re less likely to receive as many requests.

• Write a polite, friendly letter asking the player to autograph your card. Remember that athletes, like all celebrities, receive many requests from fans. Writing a thoughtful letter is key.

• If the player is still active, simply mail him your request in care of his team. Addresses for all Major League teams can be found at For retired players, most libraries will have a book or two containing player addresses. Try Jack Smalling’s “The Baseball Autograph Collector’s Handbook,” available in some libraries or at This book, updated periodically, contains more than 11,000 addresses of players, coaches and umpires.

• Once you have a player’s address, mail the letter and the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and be patient. It can sometimes take months to receive a reply. Good idea: Send only cards of which you have duplicates. Some players won’t respond, and you’ll never see the card again.

• When you do get a signed card back, be sure to send a thank you note.

Laugh your way to the ballpark with these baseball jokes

What Autographs Do You Have?

Tell us which autographs you’ve collected and how you got them in the comments field below.

25 Comments on How to get a player’s autograph

1. I have the red birds mascots autograph, and bo harps, brett farve, eli manning, paten manning

How did you get michel phelep’s autograph

2. I have Michal Phelps!

3. i have a roger clemens, barry bonds, and kirby puckett card

4. iowa sweet i want brett farve // July 14, 2008 at 6:44 pm // Reply

hi mom

5. i have a b.j. upton game used bat.

8. A BEAST(GO METS) // June 28, 2008 at 10:22 am // Reply

9. marinerfreak101 // June 19, 2008 at 5:02 pm // Reply

i just got a nolan ryan / barry bonds jersey card 1/1 thats worth $56,489

10. i have a Mike Bibby Autographed card along with an 8 x 10 signed by Jamal Crawford of the NY Knicks.

11. i have 166 babe ruth baseball cards (8 signed) 1 barry bond signed 5 david wright (1 signed) a all team signed baseball mets team and 3 baseball jerseys and 10,000 baseball cards about 1,000 are atograghed!!!!!!!!!

12. BuffBisionsfan // April 1, 2008 at 5:41 pm // Reply

I have a bat and a baseball signed by all the buffalo bisons. It is so cool

13. I like baseball.

14. NewBoyScout143 // February 16, 2008 at 11:57 am // Reply

I Have Iowa State Autographs

15. Soulja Boy 24/7 // February 13, 2008 at 5:21 pm // Reply

Since spring trainning is comming. This is the best time to try to get rokies.

Good players don’t sign.

16. mariner1freak101 // February 4, 2008 at 5:58 pm // Reply

i hav 20,000 cards and 40 autographd baseballs and 1,000 jersey and autographed cards ive ben collectin card since i was 7

17. marinerfreak101 // February 4, 2008 at 5:51 pm // Reply

i have a babe ruth autograph bat jersy pant 1 of 1 card beat that

18. marinerfreak101 // February 4, 2008 at 5:16 pm // Reply

I have a Barry Bonds autograph

19. I have Aaron Harang’s (of the Cincinatti Reds) autograph. I got it for joining the Reds Heads kids club (Yes, I am a kid). It is for people 14 and under.

20. DallasTexas41 // October 21, 2007 at 6:41 pm // Reply

I have the signatures of former Texas Rangers baseball players Chris Young and Rafael Palmerio. I also have 2 other Rangers atuographs but I cant recognize them

21. I really want to get Travis Hafner’s autograph. One time I went to a kent state baseball game. I wish I had 100 baseball cards. My favorite player is Travis Hafner.

I have Barry Bonds. I only have 2006 baseball cards.

22. 😎🙂😛😉😀😮

23. clearwater fl // August 16, 2007 at 5:57 am // Reply

i have a tampa bay lighting uniform signed from when they won the stanly cup

24. I have 70 hockey autograph’s.

25. Derrick, Age 10, Florida // August 2, 2007 at 9:52 am // Reply

I don’t have any autographs yet, but really want to do that, because I have at least 100 baseball cards and pictures of famous basketball and hockey players plastered all over my room. I have a lot of collage athlete’s autograhs, because my Dad works at a university in Florida. Pro athlete’s signatures are way harder to get, but if I could choose one, I would want best hockey player of all time, Wayne Gretskys. (Not sure if I’m spelling that right!?) He’s coaching in the pros leauge right now, but not playing anymore. I don’t have any adresses, but you can google “____ adresses, you fill in the blank with the ones you want, such as NBA (National Basketball Assoceation) NFL (National Football Leauge) or NHL (National Hockey Leauge). Also, if you want to get more specific, you can type in the name of a team or player such as: Red Sox Player Adresses, or Daniel Ernhardt Jr. adress. Thanks for the idea.🙂😉🙂😉🙂😉🙂😉