How to get a player’s autograph

autograph

It’s not as easy to get an autograph in person as it was when your dad was your age.

Professional athletes today tend to keep their distance, and some will sign autographs only for money. Still, there is a way to get autographs both from current players and from players who have been retired for years: the U.S. mail.

Think you know the rules of baseball? Make the call in our quiz.

Here’s How:

• Go through your sports trading cards and identify a player you would like to ask for an autograph. It’s probably best to start with less well-known players, because they’re less likely to receive as many requests.

• Write a polite, friendly letter asking the player to autograph your card. Remember that athletes, like all celebrities, receive many requests from fans. Writing a thoughtful letter is key.

• If the player is still active, simply mail him your request in care of his team. Addresses for all Major League teams can be found at mlb.com. For retired players, most libraries will have a book or two containing player addresses. Try Jack Smalling’s “The Baseball Autograph Collector’s Handbook,” available in some libraries or at baseballaddresses.com. This book, updated periodically, contains more than 11,000 addresses of players, coaches and umpires.

• Once you have a player’s address, mail the letter and the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and be patient. It can sometimes take months to receive a reply. Good idea: Send only cards of which you have duplicates. Some players won’t respond, and you’ll never see the card again.

• When you do get a signed card back, be sure to send a thank you note.

Laugh your way to the ballpark with these baseball jokes

What Autographs Do You Have?

Tell us which autographs you’ve collected and how you got them in the comments field below.

28 Comments on How to get a player’s autograph

1. i got a autographed poicture of ichero this way

2. my favorite baseball team is the yankees

3. i have a piece of Chase Utley’s jersy, and Mark Thmes autograph

4. I sent a letter to President Obama and I got an autograghed picture
    of him two months later it was awesome:)

5. Girl Scouts of America and 4-H Member // June 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm // Reply

A friend of mine showed me a photograph and baseball bat that was autographed by Willie Mays when he played baseball in the American League Professional Baseball League. It’s neat. It probably isn’t worth much of anything and there probably isn’t a large demand for the autographed photograph since Willie Mays retired from professional baseball several years ago.

6. Boy Scouts of America and 4-H Member // June 8, 2010 at 4:52 pm // Reply

I have a really nice photograph that is autographed by all of the County Fair Princesses and the County Fair Queen of our local County Fair. It’s one of my most favorite photographs.

7. Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge Requirement #6 Completion // June 3, 2010 at 8:05 am // Reply

I have a really nice letter autographed by Barbara Mikulski, United States Senator from the State of Maryland that states that “in response to my request, she was pleased to forward me a copy of United States Public Law #109-366 ‘Military Commissions Act of 2006’ which is a copy of a piece of landmark legislation that will be great to show my merit badge counselor as well as for some homework assignments for my social studies class in school. The public law is over fifteen pages in length and quite alot of reading.

8. Awsome

9. i got a autograph from obama!!!!! soo cool!

10. I got an autograph from 2001 homerun derby winner LUIS GONZALEZ.

11. I wrote a letter to Roddy White about 3 weeks ago asking for his autograph (I sent a picture for him to sign along with a self-addressed stamped envelope) and I haven’t gotten a response yet.

12. I went to a beatles tribute and the band sighned my flyer.

13. Anonymous // May 16, 2010 at 3:28 pm // Reply

I have three balls signed by the whole Blue Jays team, A signed hockey stick by Keith Tkachuk a bunch of signed BASEBALLS FROM THE WINNIPEG GOLDEYES ANOTHER ministick signed by three Manitoba Moose players a card and a football signed by Glenn January A signed picture by Dale Lindsey and an autographed picture of Chris Pronger

14. Red Sox Rock // May 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm // Reply

I have a Bronson Arroyo,Chipper Jones and Eli Manning’s autograph’s. I got them all through the mail.

15. Social Security Recipient 216 // May 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm // Reply

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulatory Postcard (Notecard) that was autographed by President Ronald Reagan and presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when Ronald Reagan was President of the United States of America.

16. Hiking Over the hill and around the lake 841 // May 2, 2010 at 6:30 pm // Reply

I have an Eagle Scout Congratulatory Postcard (Notecard) that was autographed by President Jimmy Carter and presented to an Eagle Scout at an Eagle Scout National Court of Honor to someone who earned the rank of Eagle Scout when Jimmy Carter was President of the United States of America.

17. Patrol Leader, Balsam Fir Tree Patrol, Troop 742 // May 2, 2010 at 6:23 pm // Reply

A friend of mine showed me a baseball card that was autographed by Tim Nordbrook when he was a member of the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. A friend of mine also showed me a baseball card and a baseball that was autographed by Ken Singleton when he played for the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. Both players have since long retired from playing baseball for the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team.

18. Patrol Leader, Balsam Fir Patrol, Troop 350 // April 23, 2010 at 5:59 pm // Reply

A friend of mine showed me a photograph autographed by Johnny Unitas. A friend of mine showed me a football that was autographed by Johnny Unitas and all of the members of the Baltimore Colts Professional Football Team when Johnny Unitas was one of the several quarterbacks that played on the Baltimore Colts Professional Football Team.

19. i am trying to get one from Obama

20. Troop Historian, Troop 375 // April 17, 2010 at 2:27 pm // Reply

I have an autographed photograph of Denzel Washington. A friend of mine showed me a football autographed by all of the members of the Baltimore Ravens Professional Football Team which won the Super Bowl in 2000.

21. Second Class Scout, Troop 447 // April 14, 2010 at 3:22 am // Reply

I have autographed baseball cards of Nolan Ryan (pitcher), Al Bumbry and Rick Dempsey (catcher) when they were members of the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. I have an autographed photograph of Jim Palmer and an autographed baseball of Jim Palmer (pitcher) when he was a member of the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team.

22. Troop Guide, Troop 729 // April 13, 2010 at 12:40 pm // Reply

A friend of mine showed me an Eagle Scout Award and some other Boy Scout items that were given to an Eagle Scout when President Warren Harding was President of the United States of America. The requirements for the rank of Eagle Scout in the Boy Scout Handbook when Warren Harding was President of the United States of America are quite difficult to accomplish. These items were neat. A friend of mine said that there are similar items that are on display in the Boy Scouts of America Museum.

23. my great uncle gave me his nolan ryan autograghed ball

24. First Class Scout 781 // April 10, 2010 at 12:00 pm // Reply

I have a Reggie Jackson Baseball Card. I also have a baseball card that is autographed by “Boog” Powell when he was a baseball player for the Baltimore Orioles Professional Baseball Team. A friend of mine showed me a baseball card that was autographed by Brooks Robinson before he was nominated to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

25. Life Scout, Troop 375 // April 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm // Reply

A friend of mine showed me an autographed baseball card of Dave Concepcion who played on the Cincinnati Reds. A friend of mine also showed me a Pete Rose Baseball Card when he was manager of the Cincinnati Reds Baseball Team before he was nominated for the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

1 4 5 6 7 8 9