6 fun games to play in the car

Stuck in the backseat on a long drive? Here are some classic (and free!) games to help travel time go by faster.

Already a seasoned traveler? Take our Summer Vacation Hot Spot quiz

For long trips, the License Plate Game might be the thing. In this version, call out letters from the license plates you see, then make as many ridiculous phrases as possible. For example, AST = Aardvarks Singling Tenderly or After-School Trampolining. You get the idea.

The Alphabet Game is good along roads with a lot of signs. Find a word with an “A,” call it out, then look for a word with “B” and so on. First one to the end of the alphabet wins. You might want to skip trying to find “Q” and “Z.” Or not.

Use graph paper for a couple of travel games. With Lines and Dots, draw lines on the paper. Take turns drawing one side of a square at a time, trying to make boxes. When you complete a box, put your initials in it. Whoever makes the most boxes in 15 minutes or so wins.

Another game with graph paper is Infinite Tic-Tac-Toe. In this game, the first person to get five in a row wins, and there are no borders except for the edge of the page.

Share these summer vacation jokes for a break between games

In I Spy, pick out something you see nearby (that other players can also see), but keep what it is to yourself. Say, “I spy with my little eye …” and then provide one description of the object. For instance, with the windshield wipers you might say, “I spy something long” or “something black.” After each hint, players take a turn guessing what the object is.

Rock-Paper-Scissors and 20 Questions hardly need explaining. There are variations of these games, such as Foot-Cockroach-Nuclear Bomb, and 20 Questions about movies you’ve seen or books you’ve read, instead of some random object.

29 Comments on 6 fun games to play in the car

1. we like to play the Gas Game, whoever spots the lowest (or highest) gas price wins🙂

2. Agnergirl // May 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm // Reply

We like to play the license plate game like so: this mostly works on long interstates. We look for all fifty states on license plates. We have gotten almost everyone of them on some trips! Kids get excited to find one we haven’t found yet

3. fun games but not easy to play in the car

4. Cazzaz217 // May 4, 2012 at 8:24 am // Reply

these games look fun! :p

5. ollie olly oxenfree // February 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm // Reply

the game is called popeye the game is simple you look for a car that has a one headlight out you get 1 point for a car 2 points for a truck you have to say popeye as you see it you can even play in the day light, happy travels

6. Nice Games🙂

7. This was an outstanding website, in keep the kids entertained for the whole trip, cheers🙂

8. I was on my way back from big bear today and we played game where you pick a category…we picked famous people.. the point was to say a persons name and the next person has to say another name but that name has to begin with the previous persons last name.. EXAMPLE: I start the game with, Christopher Walken…player b has to name a famous person starting with a, Winona Ryder the next person names a name with the letter R…Reese Witherspoon.. and so on and so forth : )

9. gabbygirl123456 // July 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm // Reply

Great for all ages to play when there is a long drive ahead!Games are great becasue it made my kids car ride go very fast with these easy games to play.Not only can you play these games in the car you can also play anywhere else!Keeps younger children busy!very good!

10. I used to play a game where someone in the car gives you a quiz about your family and if you get it right you get a point and who ever has the most points at the end gets to pick where they want to eat.

11. You could play my father owns a grocery store. One person says “My father owns a grocery storeand in it he sells…B.(you could use any letter) Then the rest of the people would have to say foods that start with B. The first person to get it right becomes”it”.(You may not ask yes or no questions.)

12. tony the tiger // June 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm // Reply

Not bad i’ve already played most of them

13. DaltonC.P. // June 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm // Reply

I like the idea.I might print it.

14. i like i spy

15. Yamaha dude // June 24, 2011 at 4:03 pm // Reply

the games inspired (maybe created) by Volkswagen:
    Punch(or slug)bug: you make the specific rules, only Beetles to be called out
    Punch Dub is for other Volkswagen models

16. heres one i made up: 2 people take turns looking out the window and saying the first thing they see. when someone says something related to what the other person just said, they lose.

17. Mailburro+Alfalfa= Pedro // June 21, 2011 at 8:26 am // Reply

Well I am going from P.A. to Ohio in 9 days and I could not belive my luck just my going on here to play games and then BOOM!!!!! I saw it at the corner of my eye road trip games, AMEN AMERICA

18. Mailburro+Alfalfa= Pedro // June 21, 2011 at 8:18 am // Reply

I L-O-V-E love it!❤

19. Iron man (Kyoya (I'm not a boy) // June 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm // Reply

Boyslife gives me alot of new ideas and one of them is to play these games!!!!!!!!! : )

20. I love the license plate game!!! We do it all the time!

21. i like the license plate game and we are driving from Missouri to Chicago. i know its only a boardering state but it takes 6hours to get there. and with my mom her friend my sister and her friend so i am pretty much gonna have to be a loner. so i need to find some good games to play😛

22. I like the sound of I spy.

23. Elephant :) // April 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm // Reply

name evry car that goes past with a suitable name

24. The car game is good too. You get points for different types of cars
    Yellow car 1
    Convetible with top down 1
    PT Cruiser 1
    Hummer 1
    Lemo 10

25. Thanks – I forgot about lines & dots.
    My family & I are driving to Florida from New Jersey.
    It’s one long drive.