How to snag a baseball

baseballsnag

How often have you gone to a baseball game hoping to catch a ball that goes into the stands? It’s not as hard as it seems, says Zack Hample, author of “How to Snag Major League Baseballs.”

Hample has snagged almost 8,000 baseballs at 51 different Major League stadiums across North America. Here are his top five tips for getting one:

Arrive early

Teams warm up one to two hours before the game, so be the first person in the gate. You’ll have fewer people to compete with for foul or home-run balls, and you’ll occasionally find balls already lying in the seats when you arrive.

Sit on the aisle

You’ll need to move around to increase your chances. “Don’t get trapped in the middle of a long row. You need to be able to jump up and move,” Hample says.

Play the percentages

Check out the rosters ahead of time, so you know how many right- and left-handed batters there will be. Most right-handed batters will hit foul balls to the first-base side; left-handed batters, to the third-base side. Pick a seat in the stadium accordingly.

Ask politely

When teams are warming up, they’ll often throw balls to their fans in the stands. “And players love to throw balls to kids,” Hample says.

Buy a hat for each team that’s playing

Players on the road love to spot their fans, and will often reward them by throwing them a ball. Change your hat according to who’s in the field.

For more tips, check out Hample’s Web site at www.zackhample.com.

25 Comments on How to snag a baseball

1. littlemike // June 4, 2009 at 5:58 pm // Reply

these are good tips and they’ll probably work

2. I go to paw sox games alot but have never goten a game ball

3. once i read this i thoght cool and i’ve caught at least 100 baseballs at the ranger stadium

4. I think this is a great way to show people how to catch baseballs. I have another tip too: Sit by the bullpen, so you can ask for a ball when the pitchers are done warming up.

5. It is cool

6. good tips

7. awesomeboss // March 21, 2009 at 8:14 pm // Reply

the only ball i’ve caught is at my local team

8. cool thanks for the great tip

9. MagicMocha // March 18, 2009 at 2:43 pm // Reply

We got several balls from our tripple A team. Cub scouts got to sleep on the field in tents and there were lots of balls stuck at the bottom of the fence.

10. Here I come. Look out baseball

11. good tips

12. Astrosfan123 // July 7, 2008 at 11:10 am // Reply

thank you for the tips!

13. Spider Man // May 28, 2008 at 7:06 pm // Reply

Now I’ll be prepared when I ho to a ball game.

14. Sweet!

15. marinerfreak101 // February 4, 2008 at 7:04 pm // Reply

ive read this before now ive caught 100s of balls

16. # 1Yankee fan // December 27, 2007 at 11:19 pm // Reply

Your Right I’ve been going to games since I was little and nothing. When I saw Yankee Stadium was the worst I was so mad. But hey security’s strict ’cause they’re so good.

17. I want to try

18. I think Citizen Is the place

19. Penutbutter TT // September 27, 2007 at 8:11 pm // Reply

Thanks for the comments. I’ll try to use them next time I go to a game.

20. frosted flakes // September 23, 2007 at 5:30 pm // Reply

I’ll try that next time I go to the Metrodome!

21. The state I live in doesn’t have any MLB teams , so it’s kind of hard to get a fly ball!

22. Yeah i agree, I live in atlanta and so far I’ve caught about 30 balls