A safe bet mystery

Police lieutenant Brewer spat a direct order into his car radio: “We’ve had a robbery at the theater. I want Fingers Lawson picked up right away. He takes great pride in being the top combination safe burglar in the state. He’s just out of jail last week and yesterday he started working at the theater as a janitor.”

Mac King turned to face the tall brick theater where he was scheduled to perform that night. “Do you have any other suspects?”

“No,” said Brewer. “The only ones around this morning besides you and your monkey were Lawson and that other magician…the old guy with all the little sleight-of-hand tricks: Zenario.”

Mac recalled a picture of the freshly plundered safe. (It looked much like the picture above.)

“If I were you,” said Mac. “I’d reissue your order, but forget Lawson. It’s a safe bet that Zenario is your man!”

Why did Mac think so?

Use your mouse to highlight the hidden text below and reveal the answer

Click here to see more Magic in a Minute videos and comic strips. Or visit www.magicinaminute.com for more fun stuff.

41 Comments on A safe bet mystery

1. too easy

2. wow

3. tobyand10year // April 7, 2010 at 4:05 pm // Reply

this was hard to do but it was funny

4. Sesquipedaliac // August 23, 2009 at 8:00 pm // Reply

Confusing, you say, scabs? Allow me to elucidate: The picture of the safe shows that it has a lock which is opened by a key, not a combination. Fingers Lawson was proficient at opening safes with a lock opened by a combination, not a key. However, Zenario, as a magician skilled at sleight-of-hand, would be able to crack locks opened by a key. Does that help?

• Wow like we don’t get that

• chessmaster // January 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm //

really? I thought it was quite lucid. Oh, and if you still don’t get it, Lawson can open a combo lock, but the lock in the picture was a key lock. Zenario, the magician, could have picked the lock.

5. its confusing

6. Too easy

7. don’t get it at all

8. It was such an easy mystery. A two year old could have done it!

9. I like it

10. How did Mac King know that Finger Lawson didn’t rob the safe

11. Solution: Brewer told Mac that Fingers Lawson took great pride in cracking combination locks. In recalling the crime scene inside the theater, Mac realized the safe was secured with a key padlock. If neither Mac nor Lawson had opened the safe, that left Zenario as the chief suspect; Zenario, a master of small sleight-of-hand and, Mac guessed, picking padlocks.:) ;)

12. link fanatic // February 6, 2009 at 11:49 pm // Reply

ANOTHER EASY ONE!!!!!!!

13. Anonymous commentor // February 3, 2009 at 10:38 pm // Reply

EASY!

14. SO EASY BUT IT PUZZLED ME 4 A WHILE!

15. too easy

16. it took me 2.3 seconds.

17. gueesed it on the first try!

18. I don’t like mysteries

19. Hardest yet but makes sence

20. That was harder than the others, I think.

21. Lego Star Wars Master // August 12, 2008 at 3:20 pm // Reply

too easy

22. to thebobcat.

me neither.

23. eazy pezy

24. Xterminator // August 5, 2008 at 9:51 pm // Reply

easy

25. gozzilla2000 // August 5, 2008 at 8:27 am // Reply

I like it.

26. Just look at the lock in the picture.

27. Rider of Rohan // August 4, 2008 at 4:41 pm // Reply

I could not tell that th paddlock was a key one not combination

28. money bags // August 3, 2008 at 9:59 pm // Reply

I do not get it!

29. Skully_scam // August 3, 2008 at 6:53 am // Reply

Not too easy though.

30. I like itt alot you should make another one you are good at making games

31. I like it alot

32. I don’t get it.

33. Simple when you figure it out. Took me about a minute.

34. it was actually hard I think