BL Workshop

Make the ultimate raingutter regatta racer

regatta-200x148.jpgA winning raingutter racer stays on an even keel, moves in a straight line, keeps the bow above water and does not drag.

If your boat does all this, it finishes ahead of any boat that can’t. Here’s how to build your winner.

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

• Regatta Kit (BSA Supply No. 17090, $3.99, http://www.scoutstuff.org)
  • Fine sandpaper
  • Scissors
  • Polyurethane
  • Paintbrush
  • Superglue
  • Spray paint (optional)
  • Adult permission and/or supervision

WHAT YOU’LL DO

step1.jpgStep 1: Sand the balsa wood hull’s sides and bottom until smooth.

step2.jpgStep 2: Put the mast in, and bend back the mast to “rake” it a little. Take the mast out for now.

step3.jpgStep 3: Seal the hull, using two coats of polyurethane, then sand it smooth.

step4.jpgStep 4: Add the keel and the rudder. Put both on the centerline and at right angles to the bottom of the hull. Put the keel on as far back as you can, just ahead of the rudder.

step5.jpgStep 5: Glue the keel’s narrow edge next to the hull and the angled edge forward. This makes your boat harder to tip and quicker to right.

step6.jpgStep 6: If you paint the boat, keep it simple — spray paint works fine. Three thin coats make an attractive finish. Attach the mast after painting.

step7.jpgStep 7: Trim 1/4 inch off the top and 3/4 inch off the bottom of the sail. Cut a new bottom hole 1/2 inch above the old one. Clip off the bottom corners so they can’t snag the gutter.

step8.jpgStep 8: To keep the sail above the gutter, attach it so that the bottom is 1 1/2 inches above the deck. Glue the sail to the mast so that it can’t move. Attach the sail at right angles to the centerline.

HOW TO CAPTAIN THE BOAT

No matter how well you make your boat, victory demands a skilled captain. An even wind, for instance, moves the boat faster than do frantic puffs.

Practice long, steady breaths. Your breath should hit the sail directly behind the sail and just below the center.

no.jpgIf you’re too high, blowing downward, you will force the bow down, slowing the boat. You’ll blow your chance to win.

yes.jpgPosition yourself so that you are blowing from behind the boat and slightly up, using a gentle, steady breath.

Comments about “Make the ultimate raingutter regatta racer”

1. an548tx says:

I used these instructions and won first prize in my first race. I sanded, used 5 coats of paint, put stickers on, and then sprayed with polyurethene. Keel, rudder and sails were the same as you said, and I won against 42 scouts, including a couple of catamarans.

2. tanuchan says:

this is good. I love it so much.

3. jaco says:

this better work!

4. Codydoddydingdong says:

I hope this works, my dad helped with my pinewood derby and it looked awesome, a surfboard with a bionical riding it…it looked awesome but it only placed 5th.

5. liamstar123 says:

I am folowinwing the instructtions but am gowing to have to stop at the polyurethane step do you know if we could use it without polyurethane ?

6. Saber158 says:

These directions were great! My son took first place in his raingutter regatta race tonight. I think the big difference was inverting the keel and putting it right against the rudder. His boat was not as “tippy” as most of the other boats. Most of the other boats had the keel right under the mast and they tended to be nose heavy.

7. maroiman says:

sorry typo with the marieman

8. mareiman says:

good ideas

9. Me says:

The tip really works

10. JO- JO says:

THANKSS FOR THE INFORMATION IT ACTUALLY WORKS GOODD :)

11. RA says:

My boys and I have followed this guide with a few modifications (mostly to the hull), and my 9yr old son has come in first place every year. My youngest son at 7 yrs old even came in 3rd beating out several older competitors last year. Looking forward to another winning year.

12. dukes985 says:

only 15 in my pack no den leader lol hes too lazy

13. dukes985 says:

My race is this weekend i hope i can win with my idea and these are pretty good instructions so..GOOD LUCK 856!

14. dodo says:

thx it will help

15. 3rd place says:

Thanks for the great information my 4yo came in 3rd place in her age group.

16. calimom says:

We used this design and my son took home the 3rd place trophy last night. We beat one catamaran but not the other (which took home the 1st place trophy). He had a blast! We will definitely be using this design next year!

17. Excellent info!! says:

Followed the directions for last years race and our 2 scouts earned second and third place! It was their first time doing the race. We’re gearing up for this years race and will certainly follow directions again! Thanks so much!

18. blogger says:

these directions are amazing. without these i would not know what to do at all.

19. momoftiger says:

please help… first year in race and never have done this before. my son really wants to place. any suggestions?????

20. 2 time champ says:

i dont know what color?i need
    help!

21. 483rocker says:

Towmorrow is the race and I’m gonna win!!!!!
    These directions are great!!!

22. Tyrantking says:

Started building the boat at 3 pm, placed 1st at 7 pm. Even took out a catamaran on the way!

23. Weblos Mom says:

Our RGR had a “siblings” category, which was hilarious.
    My Weblos only lost one race- to his sister! She was undefeated!

We didn’t use the polyurethane (but only because we didn’t have any.) The alterations to the sail made all the difference! Other boats kept running into the sides, or getting caught on the gutters. If you do nothing else- Sand the boat and trim the sail!!

24. turkey says:

a catameran is way better

• hdtv says:

I agree catamaran is faster. My son would give the single hull boats a 10 second lead then with two puffs win the race.

25. CHicago Scout says:

Awsome tips. We put the polyurethane on after painting but it didnt matter 3rd in pack and 2nd in group 90 kids total. Trimming and Glueing the mast is the most important step. Thanks a ton!

26. mikeline says:

that is so cool

27. beardad says:

I have found that the “skins” for the pinewood cars, as an alternative to paint, create an awesome and smooth look to the boat. Also reduces resistance in the water. fast, effective, and very eye catching. (top 2 finish 3 yrs in a row! :-))

28. Mam says:

I like this idea better than others. Bye, thanks for the tips.

29. superman39 says:

these plans do work. son took 1st in den and 2nd in pack.

30. recker says:

take tips from your mom,dad,den leader,and fellow scouts.and make your boat as light as posible.getting fansy will just make it wegh more.

31. NewCubMom says:

AWESOME! My son won it all tonite! UNDEFEATED! :) He’s so happy! Thanks for the tips!

32. drummer1 says:

I sanded my boat like a smooth L. should I do this or should I make it into a regular L?

33. anomonous says:

lol… iv won the race for the 3rd time now

34. regatta mom says:

Paint your boat, polyurethane with two coats and finish with Turtle Wax for the ultimate finish and waterproofing. My son’s boats really fly through the water.

35. tester says:

subject:dad
    i’m going to try your idea

36. Anonymous says:

What tool should I use to make the grooves for rudder and keel; how deep?

37. wolf says:

My son used this design and won first place in our pack’s regatta. Last year we used the instructions that came with the kit and he was eliminated very early in the competition. Thank you!!!

38. bob says:

I WON AGAIN!!!!! 4 TIMES IN A ROW

39. justanotherDad says:

Since I’m unsure of my Pack’s exact rules, I’m intentionally resisting these “winning” designs because I don’t want to be “that Dad”.

40. cheater hater says:

listen kids this is not legal in all derby’s check ur rules first.

41. dad says:

Spraying the bottom with WD-40 is a good alternative to polyurethane. Same water repelling effect.

42. dad says:

And, now… for MORE SPEED? This was our first year in the regatta. The upside down keel is an awesome idea. We screwed up on gluing of the rudder and put it on upside down too, which turned out to lower the drag and boost speed. But first we carved a 1/8″ groove from the bow to the stern, like the Louisiana Bayou speed boats I grew up with. That along with creasing and fixing the sail to the boat (catamaran style), and it flew down the gutter at 3-4 times the speed of the other boats. The fixed sail actually forces the air (we got this from having to do 400 of the Boy’s Life anemometers at family camp) down and back, providing an added boost even greater than a catamaran because the air can travel over the the center of the top of the boat (with a catamaran it just goes into the water via the gap between the hulls). Some parents complained and we were disqualified in the middle of the race for not using (or needing) a 6.5″ mast. My son was crushed. So much for good ideas… be careful on doing too much and becoming a target. Next year we’ll ad a mast/flag pole, but sand it thin to avoid drag.

• Dad123 says:

sounds like your style was catamaran / hydrafoil: both which are styles not allowed in the raingutter regatta because of the unfair competitive advantage. suprised they let you race without the required 6.5 inch mast. love your design specs though. sorry about the disqualification better luck next year to you both, I’m sure you’ll do fine with your knowledge and tips.

43. crazy man 1 says:

cool my dad wont stop sanding it please help i want to win first place help me i won the race

44. Dad says:

Both my kids used this design and each took first in their age groups. Thanks a lot for the info.

45. awesomeness says:

My dad says it sould be good.

46. awesomeness says:

i hpoe this works! my boats ussually stink.

47. redmonkey says:

Our pack doesn’t use the kits. My son got a piece of wood that wasn’t even cut straight, a block of wood that is splintered, 4 nails and a foam plate. Hopefully we can make something that will at least float. I don’t push winning. As long as he has fun, learns something and enjoys the time spent with his mom is all I look for.

48. nojord19 says:

its awesome though i won with catamaran desighn

49. Quenn1599 says:

I hope this works, it is Saturday (the day of the race) and it is about 5 hours till the race. (3 hours later) I just finished my homework. Then I realize, DANG! I haven’t made my boat yet! I hope I can make this in two hours, I built a cool design with a dremel and sandpaper. I got all the supplies and these awesome instructions! I hope I can win a least 3rd place.

Write a comment about “Make the ultimate raingutter regatta racer”

Nickname: