How to Build an Igloo

SAFETY FIRST: Ask an adult to help with tools you haven't used before.

igloo-feature

The best-known snow shelter is the igloo. A brilliant use of engineering and resources, this simple dome made out of snow blocks is both strong and versatile.

Arctic cultures such as the Eskimo and the Inuit developed it, and over time they came up with a hundred tricks to make the shelter more comfortable and sturdy, including making the entrance small (to help keep heat in) and melting the inside of the dome and letting it refreeze (for increased strength).

BUILDING AN IGLOO

igloo-1

Diameter: Not to exceed 10 feet. Anything bigger would require a perfect dome, which is next to impossible to construct in the field.

igloo-2

Materials: Top layers of dry powder won’t work. Pack mounds of snow until they harden, or cut blocks of snow from the depth where your feet stop sinking.

igloo-3

Entrance: Build a door in the ground, about 18 inches lower than the ground inside the igloo, and tunnel below the wall into the igloo. For proper ventilation, never seal or close the entrance.

igloo-4

Walls: Cut the blocks into a spiral layer, leaning one block against the next. Keep the interior wall smooth so moisture can run down the side of the wall, instead of dripping from the ceiling. Include a vent hole to allow for better circulation.

Submit a Photo of Your Project

Important Note: Please only upload photos of your project. Because of privacy rules, we can't post any photos that show people's faces. Always ask for your parent's permission before uploading anything to a website.

28 Comments on How to Build an Igloo

1. it snowed 6 inches in my city

2. Girls can do it too

3. Jordyn & Rick // January 4, 2014 at 6:23 pm // Reply

Really nice to know! Good effort.

4. Tried this with my brother it works nice and warm inside

5. kaka po po ka ka ka popo // December 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm // Reply

cool it works me and my sis did it and it looks so cool

6. That would probably work if it snowed more than 2 inches here!

7. That’s so cool

8. I kinda need 22” of snow for that.

9. looks hard to make if you only get up 2 2ft of snow
    🙂

10. scienceman100 // October 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm // Reply

awsome works great i love i do it every winter

11. awesome geek // February 2, 2013 at 4:32 pm // Reply

Awesommee! Dude best igloo making guide ever!! Whhoo hoo

12. Cool, it seems to keep your body heat in it

13. My boys used 1 gal ice cream buckets packed full of snow to build their igloo and it was so great the local paper published a picture of it.

14. I hope OH gets a little more snow this year so that I can try this.

15. pink and purple // January 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm // Reply

That would be awesome(:

16. it’s AWESOME!

17. i cannot wait to try this!

18. it is awesom that we get snow in Mi

19. I would like to try it if we ever get enough snow Here in RI.

20. Cheese Greater // January 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm // Reply

I wish there was more snow here in Minnesota so I could try this

21. Awsome, I used it and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. GoldenDragon // January 13, 2013 at 8:00 pm // Reply

I wish it snowed in TX more. I would like to try it.

23. never tryed it before:]

24. TheTrainkinzbranch // January 5, 2013 at 7:47 am // Reply

It snows alot here in MA

25. Doesnt everyone wish there was snow in FL then on some days we wont have any school and only a whole day of playing in the snow and just having some fun