Home

Christopher Paolini chats about new book

The latest installment in Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle hits bookstores Saturday, Sept. 20. Following in the footsteps of “Eragon” and “Eldest,” “Brisingr” will be the third of four planned books in this fantasy adventure.

In an interview with Boys’ Life, Christopher spoke of reading, dreaming and adventure as a child in Paradise Valley, Mont.

Christopher spent his days exploring mountains and rivers. Fantasy fiction caught his attention and he attacked the local library. He read anything and everything, including Boys’ Life.

At age 15, he sat down to write the kind of story he’d like to read. His family self-published “Eragon” in 2001. Christopher traveled the country in costume, speaking to students about the magic of reading and sharing his own story.

“It was intense,” Christopher says. “I dare anyone to put on a medieval costume when you’re 17 and walk into a strange high school. It was a great experience, but definitely a formative experience.”

The experience paid off.

“Eragon” landed in the hands of Carl Hiaasen’s stepson. Hiaasen, who’s written “Hoot” and other young adult novels, sent “Eragon” to Random House Publishing. Soon, Christopher’s story became a bestseller.

“Eragon” has since become a film, and “Eldest” also became a bestseller. It’s been quite a jump for the young man from rural Montana.

Christopher traces all his success back to reading.

“It’s done everything for me. Reading is probably the single most important skill I’ve learned in my life,” he says. “It’s crucial that you find books that you yourself enjoy. People who haven’t fallen in love with reading yet, I tell them to try another book, try another genre. There’s so much out there. Take another look.”

Click on the audio players below to hear portions of Christopher’s interview with Boys’ Life.

Christopher on how the outdoors and the Montana landscape have shaped his stories:

Christopher on why he started writing “Eragon”:

Christopher on how he invented the different languages used in the Inheritance Cycle:

Tags:

Comments about “Christopher Paolini chats about new book”

1. Ice king says:

Please Hurry I know it’s hard to write books but this is getting kind of sad, will you please stop running around on your book tours and talk show and get the book done.
    Ps sorry to sound mean but i’m really getting bored, LOVE THE BOOKS.

2. Ice king says:

Hurry Hurry Hurrrrry, I can not wait to read book for, please finish it soon.

3. GEMINI says:

AS I READ THESE BOOKS, I FOUND THAT I COULDN’T PUT THEM DOWN. I WOULD BECOME FRUSTRATED WHEN IT WAS EITHER TIME TO GO TO WORK OR SLEEP. I FOUND MYSELF SO INTERTWINED IN THESE BOOKS THAT I FOUND MYSELF THINKING AHEAD AS TO WHAT THE OUTCOMES OF ERAGON SHADESLAYER’S BATTLES WOULD BE. I AM VERY GREATFUL TO HAVE PEOPLE SUCH AS CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI WRITE SUCH GREAT BOOKS. I AM VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FOURTH BOOK. PLEASE DON’T KEEP US, YOUR LOYAL READERS, WAITING TOO LONG.

4. roran says:

ive read the first three books twice the books are awesome .I cant wait for the 4th book when will it be out

5. ZPL99 says:

i have not read all the books but i plan to read all 4.THESE BOOK ARE IS THE MOSTAWESOME BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!

6. deer hunter says:

I Love The Moives.

7. BTVS says:

THESE BOOKS TOTALLY ROCK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. lovable says:

i cant wait to read the 4th book

9. Brisngerrocksman!! says:

Man, the fourth book is going to be awesome I know it. I can’t wait to read it. It will be amazing. The series has been pretty cool. I can’t stop reading the books over and over again. It is upsetting that the series is almost over. I truly think he should make another book or 2

10. Oromis says:

Technically,Glaedr is still alive,hes inside his eldunari,remember(stupid Galbatorix)? and now with Eragon and Saphira to protect him.

when will the fourth book come out?

11. Blodgharm says:

I cant wait for this fourth book to come out I luv them so much, these are the best books i’ve ever read

12. THE-ONE18 says:

Hey There Chris all three of the books you have writen have the be the MOST AMAZING THING i have ever read. i cant wait untill the fourth book comes out and i can wait for it to come out because i will also fill very sad because there is only going to be four and every time i go to the end of all three of your books i feel so happy and a new since of acomplishment and i also feel so very weird because i know that i am almost at the end of a grate thing. i admire you very much CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI and you have a gift and dont ever sell your self short

13. smack says:

omg i cant wait for the fouth book to come out. i fill my time with reading other books but noneof them are like this. there is a new mistery in every corner.i love that eragon is onlly the HALF brother to that snake of a trator i cant wait till they have the final fight….. omg eragon rules

14. jbaney24 says:

I’ve read eragon and eldest and is almost done with brisingr plz hurry up with book 4 of inheritence, ps, wats the tiltle

15. dear ruggly says:

ive noticed the connection to star wars its all i talk about at school

16. go varden says:

thank u eragon helped me get into reading

17. orik says:

i was touced by brisingr i love how at the end eragon shadeslayer sees arya become arya shadeslayer. this book was also great be cause you wouldnt expect a sincier last request from the razac. cant wait till fourth book comes out and sad i finished all the books and cant read em again cause letting grandfather read em

18. idk says:

Someone in my class is looking for Brisinger and I am reading Eragon.

19. Saphira says:

I am reading Eldest ,I can’t wait till Brisinger.

20. brisingr says:

do you no when the fourth eragon book com out

21. reagan says:

I can’t wait to read the brand new one.

22. Iloveawesomebooks says:

The depth of the plot in the books so far is amazing. I’ve read the first two books, Eragon and Eldest, eight times each and Brisingr once so far. I absolutely can’t wait until the fourth book comes out, because when it does, I’m spending all day reading it.

23. NoahsArk103 says:

If you like the Harry Potter series you will love this series! Once i started it i couldnt put it down.why wont u make more then 4 books? i could read these until forever

24. natitonic says:

i am a BIG fan of the areagon series, i own eragon and eldest and have brisingr on my nano Ipod

25. cool guy says:

I agree with Anonymous, why kill glaedr and oromis so early? I liked them

26. cool guy says:

can you give us some small spoilers for the fourth book christopher? plz

27. cool guy says:

BEST BOOK EVEr really great detail. Waited like 5 months before i got it. plz hurry up and finish writing the 4th book. this series i top 1st award winning.
    suggest anyone to read it if like mystery, adventure, and fantasy. GREAT!!

28. micgirl96 says:

your books are awsome! I’ve read Eragon and Eldest like 10 times and Brisinger twice. Please hurry with your fourth book beceause i dont think i can last much longer without an inheritance book in my face!

P.S i know that the ra’zac were evil and all but they were still my favorite characters and im still kind of sad they died, could you like have there be more or tell a little bit more about them because their history is still pretty mysterious….

by! :)

29. Anonymous says:

y did u kill off oromis and glaeadr? and when will book 4 b comeing out? the 3 u have out i own and have read millions of times. i need 2 know what happens!

30. Vaderkid says:

the Inheritance trilogy was an amazing read. I’ve just finished Eragon for the 4th time and now Eldest for the 4th time, ad I’ve read Brisnger twice. reading these books that many times really gave me a deeper understanding of them and the details I first deemed insignificant. I would recommend this trilogy to anyone.

31. eragonwasawsome says:

brisngr was awsome i can’t wait for the next book so hurry up chris this has everyones attention so letts see what u got

32. ERAGON reader says:

this series is the first i wasnt forsed to read by my parents instead they tried to get me to stop i would read for 5 hours a day at the least.

p.s.this is a great book

33. IK says:

We love your books! They are the greatest books ever ! You are our favorite author, and we are both entranced by the inheritance cycle.

34. TJEA24 says:

These books are alsome I cant wait for the fourth book to come out after the 1st I was hooked on them!

35. huh? says:

These books are awesome! I wish I had an imagination like that. Keep on writing!

36. hedima says:

This book is AWESOME :)

37. BradBuddy says:

I have read all the books my favorite weapon is the Dwarfs Huthvir mentioned in the end of eldest

38. eragonseriesfan!!!!!! says:

i sooo luv the eragon series sooooo much they r the best books i have ever read and i am only 11! i have finished eragon eldest and almost brisingr and i seriously cnt wait for the 4th book to come out ! if u like fantasy and lots of great adventures then i would recomend this book for you!!!

39. buddy says:

i have not read them but i would like to.

40. thomas says:

i am only ten i read all his books they are awesome the boy Eragone if i spelled it ight hes awesome nice books man

41. sk8ter chic says:

i love these books!! the author is really talented. can’t wait for fourth book to come out!!

42. Bronc says:

The books were wonderful. I would even go as far as to say that they were up there with ‘Lord of the Rings’(and that’s saying something.) I am trying to wright a book myself, and I hope my book will turn out even half as good as your series has turned out. I have read all the books that you have wrote so far and I love them. I cheer you on as you write the fourth book.

43. chrispaolinifan1 says:

I am ten years old. I love your books I am just about to finish brisingr my favorite is eragon keep writing away i can’t wait for the next one

44. kameo says:

i think arya roks she is the best in story and 4 eragon he should drop off and saphira and arya should team that would rock or if arya was the 1 hatched the last egg

45. spark says:

I really like the books that he writes. I’m in the middle of reading Brising the other books were good so I got the other one but I had to wait all summer.

46. Deeth98 says:

Oh my gosh! I didn’t even know the third was out! This is my second favorite series! I can’t wait to read it, I love these books! WRITE (rock) ON!

47. chickefire11 says:

this was the best book in the series.I’m in the process of reading brisingr.

its awesome! please write more books!!!!

48. 017350 says:

I love this series! I’m actually in the middle of reading Brisingr right now! I would totally reccommend this series to anyone out of books to read!

49. eragonfan says:

These books are so AWESOME! I can’t wait to read the new one…

Write a comment about “Christopher Paolini chats about new book”

Nickname: