Home

Christopher Paolini chats about new book

The latest installment in Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle hits bookstores Saturday, Sept. 20. Following in the footsteps of “Eragon” and “Eldest,” “Brisingr” will be the third of four planned books in this fantasy adventure.

In an interview with Boys’ Life, Christopher spoke of reading, dreaming and adventure as a child in Paradise Valley, Mont.

Christopher spent his days exploring mountains and rivers. Fantasy fiction caught his attention and he attacked the local library. He read anything and everything, including Boys’ Life.

At age 15, he sat down to write the kind of story he’d like to read. His family self-published “Eragon” in 2001. Christopher traveled the country in costume, speaking to students about the magic of reading and sharing his own story.

“It was intense,” Christopher says. “I dare anyone to put on a medieval costume when you’re 17 and walk into a strange high school. It was a great experience, but definitely a formative experience.”

The experience paid off.

“Eragon” landed in the hands of Carl Hiaasen’s stepson. Hiaasen, who’s written “Hoot” and other young adult novels, sent “Eragon” to Random House Publishing. Soon, Christopher’s story became a bestseller.

“Eragon” has since become a film, and “Eldest” also became a bestseller. It’s been quite a jump for the young man from rural Montana.

Christopher traces all his success back to reading.

“It’s done everything for me. Reading is probably the single most important skill I’ve learned in my life,” he says. “It’s crucial that you find books that you yourself enjoy. People who haven’t fallen in love with reading yet, I tell them to try another book, try another genre. There’s so much out there. Take another look.”

Click on the audio players below to hear portions of Christopher’s interview with Boys’ Life.

Christopher on how the outdoors and the Montana landscape have shaped his stories:

Christopher on why he started writing “Eragon”:

Christopher on how he invented the different languages used in the Inheritance Cycle:

Tags:

Comments about “Christopher Paolini chats about new book”

1. Ogre says:

I love these books, just got done reading the third book for the second time, I would love to say hurry with the fourth book but I don’t feel that it should be rushed by any means, just can’t wait though, only series I’ve kept up on in a long while, by the way, the movie was horrible, the way they depicted everything was completely wrong and will mess with the story line for the next three movies, they wont match the base story line of the book.

2. Anonymous says:

please,please,please, i’m beging u get done with book 4 be4 i’m shiped off to a home 4 the crazy

3. scullmix says:

if they do make another movie though, i hope they put as much information as the book so people who read the book will like the movie

4. scullmix says:

he needs to hurry up seriously…

5. anonymous says:

i sure hope that a new movie of eragon will come out cuz then a movie of eldest and maybe brisingr will come out
    boy those would be good movies

6. eragon says:

i love the series!!! i read eragon and eldest twice and now im trying to find brisingr(it’s kind of rare where i come from)i wonder wat the 4th book will be like. These r the best books i have ever read even better than harry potter
    pleaze hurry on the 4th book.

7. argetlam says:

I believe all good things must come to an end! So by the end of the Inheritance Cycle the amazing adventure will hopefully have broadened C. Paolini’s mind and perception furthering his ability to entice us with even more books, or hopefully series. I do hope that they are fiction books for i feel that that is where he would prosper the most and bring in even more avid readers.
    This fourth book will have to span a good distance in time to compensate for a new dragon and rider to develope into a formidable force. I don’t believe Eragon would have time to train a new Rider either. So unless Arya is the new rider it might not even hatch. And after all it has, on three seperate occassions, been stated that Eragon is destined to leave Alagaesia. I find it rather amusing to think that Thorn and Shruikan will perish, leaving Saphira and the last egg, or it’s hatchling, to find a new home with Eragon, and yes Arya. Freeing alagaesia of the riders rule and bring the dragons race to flourish in a new kingdom.
    And to conclude this rather long comment I would like to reffer those with an exceptional eagerness for fiction books to Terry Goodkind’s “Sword of Truth” series. I dont recomend this series to the younger readers due to minor adult instances compounded with the rather difficult vocabulary involved. Also, it contains 13 books in the series but does well tying them all together. The first book, Debt of Bones is a short prequel to set straight some characters, which was actually written after The Wizard’s First Rule. Being that it predates the actual story I recomend you read it first and make no judgements until you leap into The Wizard’s First Rule. All books after the Debt of Bones are lengthy so I hope you have alot of spare time and enjoy!

8. Arya says:

There are rumors saying that Book 4 is coming out in October 26th, 2010, and the cover title is Eldunari. These rumors are false. The book will certainly not be completed in 2010, maybe it will be finished in 2012, but I certainly hope not because I love the Eragon series!!! MR. PAOLINI PLEASE HURRY!!!!!!!!! This is so frusturating…read the whole series already, and I need to read the 4th book or i’ll grow crazy!

9. topiito says:

so, the 4th book has alredy a name or what??

10. osiris says:

when is the 4th book coming out? : )

11. jessie says:

i wonder when the fourth book is comming out

12. Shanana says:

Is the eldest movie happening? I heard it had been postponed.:(

• hurry up C.P. says:

they can’t do an eldest movie if u watch eargon ull notice some major things missing like the sapphire heart, and at the end, um eargon doesn’t go with arya to the elf place so movie 2 will never happen

• Anonymous says:

They are not making Eldest due to how poorly Eragon did in the box office.
      Also since they did not follow the storyline of Eragon, the setup for the rest of the series would be ruined.
      The only good thing about the movie was its special effects, but special effects are not what makes a movie good.
      I believe that they should remake Eragon with a director who actually follows the storyline of the book.

13. Glaedr says:

Question they made the movie eragon but what of eldest and brisingr. dont they get movies too?
    let me know what u ppl think about it.

• book reader says:

i believe all the books should be movies. its time that we grow from potter world and see something new.

• Shanana says:

I really am desperate to know if they’re making Eldest into a movie!!!!!

• qweqeqwqrqr says:

well to be honest, if you watched the first movie, they skipped ssoooo many important parts, making another movie would be nearly impossible. there are so many holes to the plot due to the shortening of the first movie. i think they 1. need to remake eragon, or 2. not make eldest or brisingr or else they would be wasting their money. eragon was actually considered as one of the worst movie from a book.

• Oromis says:

I can’t say I agree Glaedr, when I first watched Eragon in theaters I was disappointed because the producers did not even include Oromis or Glaedr which are some of the main characters in the book. If they butchered Eragon like that what would they do to Eldest? Does anybody agree with my reasoning?

14. zack says:

i loved the books of eragon eldest and brisingr i would sit in bed all day and read on brisingr it is the best book yet this series is the best series i have ever read and i really mean it take ur time on the fourth book because i want to be a long long long book and i want it to be a good book but to let u know i will not read another series or book until i read the fourth book Great Job.

15. Glaedr says:

many things will happen in the next one i know an emreld dragon on the cover. this is going to be the biggest book yet eragon could pass in to the after life mabye who knows soon it will come out and soon we will all read it

16. M.O.D.14.1/2 says:

the books were awesome!!!! Looking forward to the 4th. I may have to read them again so as not to forget information. But that would be fine. No pressure.

17. Kaiiro says:

All i can think about is possible outcomes. I hope everything is going okay with book four and that you don’t have writer’s block. i know what that can be like. Take your time, and make sure it feels right to you. Good luck, and congratulations so far :)

18. Eragon lover says:

after i read the third, it left me lying in my bed, trying to figure out the outcome, after that, i read other books, but it didn’t give me the excitement and wonder that yours did. I will be incredibly sad when the series ends, i may even read the series again, I know i will enjoy the fourth too.

19. GuinieRE says:

im dying to read book 4, so please hurry…i cant think with out knowing what happens next

20. REX says:

paolini hurry up man i mean you have just about all of america and kids in other countries waiting on this book its been almost 2 years were ready to read this BOOK!

21. koty says:

i have read all you books took me about 2 days to finish them all. Wery wonderful book i can not wait to read you 4th one im sure it will be enjoyable….. but you came out with brisingr in 2008 in is now the 4th month in 2010 you need to and hurry im not trying to rush you though dont think that. Maby since its takeing so long it will be the best bok yet, I HOPE SO!!!!!!!

22. CR says:

Hey, I really love your books! I took like a month to read them all, but like my mom I am a really fast reader. I cannot wait to see what you have planned for the fourth book. I am always wondering if Eragon and Arya are going to get married or something. I am also wondering where Eragon and Sapphira are going after they make the peace in Alagaesia. Ya, please tak your time on the book so that its is reeeealllly good.

23. love eragon 1 says:

I can’t wait I am 12 And can’t wait for book 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. J-Man-97 says:

i cant wait until the 4th book comes out. i am a HUGE fan of eragon and christopher paolini,I LOVE ALL 3 BOOKS.

25. Nuts4newbook says:

All of Christophers books have been so enjoyable! Every time a new one comes out, I read it in one day. I can’t wait for the new book to come out. He left it so open; anything could happen, and I’m excited to see the conclusion.

26. ajihad44 says:

eldest rocked and so did brisingr but idk when book 4 will come out PLZ FINISH SOON!!!!!

27. KingHenrik says:

All 3 books were great! Make sure the 4th book is great, take your time. DO WORK!

28. murtagh is awsome says:

brisingr is the best book ever. i hated when oromis died

29. Zazy Z says:

Is your fourth book coming soon? All you fans are dying to read it. Hury!

30. nuno says:

when does you forth book come out?

31. mezar says:

i lov the series but im starting to forget wat has happened in them cuz iv been waiting so long for the last book. hopefully the 4th book is really long and good so it wil b worth the wait!

32. Summer says:

Oh oops. Did not look at the website when I clicked on it off google. Like sacred ground for guys or something. Sorry!

• nn says:

The second book was the best and the third was the worst. The last one better be good or ill feel like i wasted my tome on this series.

• mikey says:

are you kidding me!!!! the third gave the most insight to eragonit sets up the whole plot for the next book and everything is coming together!!!! its meant to seem dark and horrible towards the end but the third is far better then the second!!!!!!!! think before you speak about the books =P peace…

33. Summer says:

You take forever to write. I was in the seventh grade when I started them. I’m sixteen now. I bet you anything that I will be senior by the time you finish. Please prove me wrong.

34. soandso says:

I love all the books I want to read them over and again. Just please finish the book soon

35. gty says:

when is 4 book is releasing

• franks says:

I love your books and I rerad them in maybe 1 or 2 weeks and loved them.I can`t wait tell the 4th comes out. I hope it comes out soon. I`m debating on if I should read the series again because it was so good.I can`t find anything like it to read.

36. Oromis says:

Congratulations with the books. And do not hurry like they say, take your time and do your final book well.

• Glaedr says:

patience is a virtue young ones the books r good and i cant wait for the next one but i have my own theorys like what if eragon and arya r never going to get togethermabye its some one else and what about Angela dont count her o9ut just yet and i wonder shes based off his sister right dose she talk in riddles too? i look fowared to the next part of the book in the cycle oh and what about the green egg back in Uru’baen hmmm? think ppl.

37. gigadragon says:

plz huury up and finish book all of them are good and i know this one will be better

38. Anonymous says:

Man hurry up and finish book four plz i cant wait all books are good i bet that this one will be even better

39. DragonsRule says:

I bet the next Rider’s sword will be Tamerlein.

40. ncd says:

loved all tree books sooooooo cant wait till fourth one is out

41. gopher says:

all the other books are awsome so i can’t wait fo the fourth one and the second movie

42. rayray says:

man just a ball park date would be nice

43. kn b says:

great books when will book four be out.

44. Mike'n'ike says:

In the acknowlodgments at the end of Brisingr, you said that your agent gave you a “kick in the pants” which made you speed up, pretend that i said what he said.

45. ,zxgc kvajd says:

i cant wait until the 4th book comes out!!! by the way i am guessing all you lot are fans too cause i am!

46. ,zxgc kvajd says:

i totally agree with the others!!! i have read all three books and now i am so bored with out a book to read and i refuse to start reading a different auther or book cause i will end up starting to forgett about eragon, eldest and brisingr and what hapend in them .GRRRRR!

47. Pretzel says:

What will be awaiting in Book 4? I loved how Brom was Eragon’s father and Rhunon used Eragon to make the sword, Brisingr.

48. Evander says:

How close are you to finishing book 4 please be very close

49. monkeyboy10 says:

i feel bad for glaedr…

50. monkeyboy10 says:

i love brisingr! it is the best of the 3! i read like 0ver 5 hours a day of it!

• lemon says:

Hey! I was only 8 when I read Brisngr & I’m 10 now I’ve been waitin’ for 2 years now for the fourth book but it sill hasn’t come out.

Write a comment about “Christopher Paolini chats about new book”

Nickname: