Christopher Paolini chats about new book

The latest installment in Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle hits bookstores Saturday, Sept. 20. Following in the footsteps of “Eragon” and “Eldest,” “Brisingr” will be the third of four planned books in this fantasy adventure.

In an interview with Boys’ Life, Christopher spoke of reading, dreaming and adventure as a child in Paradise Valley, Mont.

Christopher spent his days exploring mountains and rivers. Fantasy fiction caught his attention and he attacked the local library. He read anything and everything, including Boys’ Life.

At age 15, he sat down to write the kind of story he’d like to read. His family self-published “Eragon” in 2001. Christopher traveled the country in costume, speaking to students about the magic of reading and sharing his own story.

“It was intense,” Christopher says. “I dare anyone to put on a medieval costume when you’re 17 and walk into a strange high school. It was a great experience, but definitely a formative experience.”

The experience paid off.

“Eragon” landed in the hands of Carl Hiaasen’s stepson. Hiaasen, who’s written “Hoot” and other young adult novels, sent “Eragon” to Random House Publishing. Soon, Christopher’s story became a bestseller.

“Eragon” has since become a film, and “Eldest” also became a bestseller. It’s been quite a jump for the young man from rural Montana.

Christopher traces all his success back to reading.

“It’s done everything for me. Reading is probably the single most important skill I’ve learned in my life,” he says. “It’s crucial that you find books that you yourself enjoy. People who haven’t fallen in love with reading yet, I tell them to try another book, try another genre. There’s so much out there. Take another look.”

Click on the audio players below to hear portions of Christopher’s interview with Boys’ Life.

Christopher on how the outdoors and the Montana landscape have shaped his stories:

Christopher on why he started writing “Eragon”:

Christopher on how he invented the different languages used in the Inheritance Cycle:

235 Comments on Christopher Paolini chats about new book

1. The book inheritance ended sadly. Why? And is Christopher going to write what happens next?

2. I TOO ENJOYED CHRISTOPHERS WORK AND I AM 62. HE IA RIVALED BY THE MASTER STEPHEN KING. I ALSO HOPE TO SEE MORE O THIS YOUNG WRITER’S IMAGINATION ON PAPER. GREAT WORKS OF ART!

3. Please write a fifth book .I loved the inheritance cycle. I don’t want it to end

• The kid next door // July 5, 2013 at 1:09 am // Reply

I think that the fifth book should be of eragon and saphira training a dwarf rider! And then eragon and arya having some romance to!:) :D

4. Please write a fifth book. I loved the series soooo much. It has been the best series ,even better than lord of the rings. I have been reading books even before kindergarten and this is the best series ever.

I have a few questions. What will become of arya and eragon?, nausada and murtah? Who is the soothsayer? Who is angala? What will happen to elva and rorans daughter? How did angala gain solobums trust? Is there any greyfolk left? What about the new riders swords, there isnt enough brightsteel. What about the meana tree. Please somebody answer my questions

• If u remember correctly they found hundreds of swords in galbatorixs hoard
      So maybe Eragon brought with him those swords and will give them to new riders according to there dragons color

5. dragon boy // June 9, 2013 at 9:40 am // Reply

Please rite another book I have read them for a while and they just ended :( now I really have nothing to do

6. i finised the series a couple days ago. loved it!

7. My goodness, I just finished the last book… it leaves you wanting more. A need to know how, where, when, why and with who the eggs hatched. Did Arya and Eragon ever met again… if Saphira laid her own eggs, and so much more!! There’s got to be another book.. or 2 even…

8. I think that he sould make a 5th book about Brom and before eragon was alive! And a whole other serise about something fantasy! LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! READ IT IN 3RD GRADE AWESOME!

9. PLEASE write a new book! I’m almost done with inheritance and I think that it needs a book 5! The books are really good! WE NEED A BOOK 5

10. I think u should continue the storie !wee need more books (5,6…) so we can jump back to the adventure !and i think eragon and arya should be together!!!

• I think you should do something with Murtagh and Nasuada in the fifth book. I really loved the idea of them being together.Can’t wait for NEW books, totally LOVE them!

11. I sincerely think that he will write another book like many of you said there are too many gaps for example what did the Menoa tree take from Eragon and what will it do with it? And the ending with Arya and Eragon was too much for me to take. Eragon and Saphira all alone in the wilderness with eggs and eldunari? There has to be more than just wilderness out there, right??

12. BEST SERIES EVER…i could not put it down
    Epic, adventure, fantasy, amazing WONDERFUL allthoe word
    Describe inheritance!!!

13. GoldenElundari // October 12, 2012 at 10:00 am // Reply

Yeah, the movie was a complete let down, but the books are great, i get in trouble during class by trying to read….Well i could kinda understand…it was math class xD

14. yup your inheritance cycle was really the best

15. Grimstborith // July 15, 2012 at 10:43 pm // Reply

The inheritance cycle was the best read i have ever had and probably always will be

16. YOUR INHERITANCE SERIES IS MY FAVORITE SERIES IN THE WORLD. PLEASE TELL 20 century FOX TO REMAKE ERAGON, and then MAKE THE OTHER 3 MOVIES.

• The movie was awful. The biggest mistake was making Arya into a human. That killed any chance for rest of the books right there. Not having her smash Isidar Mithrim didn’t help. They totally need to remake the movies.

17. please right another series i loved you eragon books

18. Please write another one ! It can not be the end, there are too much to know about Riders, Dwarves and Uragal among the, about the becoming of alagaesia, and about Ary and eragon ? Will they never see each other again ?! Will eragon come back ? It cannot be the end, it even could be the beginning of a new story, plz KEEP WRITING about those caracters ! <3

• CP PLANS ON 7 MORE STORIES IN THE WORLD OF ALAGAESIA. 7! AND 1 OF THEM WILL BE A SERIES. I PERSONALY CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

19. inheritancelover // April 20, 2012 at 9:42 am // Reply

okay we of the Commenters have all decided that the Inheritance Cycle NEEDS ANOTHER BOOK!!!!!!! i know it take a long time but your fans are super desperate!!! (especially me i ate up the first 2 like they were nothing and then had to wait forever for the third book then had to wait an even longer time for the 4th!!!!)

20. you left too many holes too feel up and alot of readers unsatisfied make a 5 book okay

21. Eragon&Saphira // April 4, 2012 at 10:09 am // Reply

please write another book, when i finished reading the last pages of the book tears filled my eyes and i wanted to keep reading to find out what happens to the riders. so i beg you please write another book to the inheritance cycle, everyone has been begging for it so please consider it.

• dragon lover // April 5, 2012 at 2:00 am // Reply

I agree with you I want a book with eragon in it.

• i cried, ill admit it. its just the fact that the best series i have read in a very long time comes to an end with a cliffhanger?who wouldn’t be upset by that.(idea’s for though: the name of algaeisia gets changed so eragon can visit there again.) just an idea.

22. PLEASEWRITEMORE // March 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm // Reply

YOU HAVE TO WRITE A HUUUUGGE BOOK SMALL PRINT LIKE AT LEAST 3000 PAGES PLUS A 1000 PAGE EPILOUGE! YOU COULD TOTALLY CHARGE AT LEAST FIFTY OR SIXTY BUCKS PER COPY AND YOU WOULD STILL SELL MILLIONS OF BOOKS!…pretty please : )

23. yes anonymous is right

24. Please write another book. Many people such as myself would love to know how the riders rebuild their power and also what will become of Eragon and Arya. The final pages of book 4 were amazing but depressing. Please continue to write!!!!

• NEWERAGONBOOKSPLEASE // February 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm // Reply

I’m with ya on that one! Ive started to write a book of Bromide. I want him to write it though because I cant write as well! I hate the ending of the series and want it to keep going forever because I’ve came to know Deacon and Saphira. Please write another book!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Im thinking he should start a new series 100 years later with rorans daughter as a rider (main character) and eragon is old and powerful and he got married to arya and saphira is huge now (like shurikan not belgabad) and rorans daugheter travels with some urgal kull rider also.

25. I am begging Jou to write another book. Inheritance was a master piece page no other. I have been sad and depressed ever since reading the final pages and realizing that it was then. Please I beg you, just one more book with eragon as the main character.

• Eragonftw // May 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm // Reply

I hope your reading this CP, there simply must be another book with Eragon as the main protagonist, I’ve been reading the inheritance cycle since I was like 11. I’ve basically grown up with the books and it’s sad to see them end :(! Please make mooooore

26. Write another book! Please! I need to know what happens after the 4th book, there so much that can still happen.

27. Mt. Rushmore // January 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm // Reply

Please !!!!! write another sequel to Inheritance, I would really like to know what happens to Eragon, and if you are writing a new book can you add more about Arya and Eragon and their relationship

28. I need book 5 because book 4 was so amazing and i want to learn how the riders rebuild their power. Also what of Arya and Eragon? Please write a book 5.

29. Inheritance Cycle was very detailed, explaining all about the races, putting aside differents, working together, & deciding what’s best for the whole world. Even though Inheritance book 4 was very great, the decision for Eragon & Saphira to leave the land they saved from an evil king/Dragon Rider. The final pages were very sad & depressing.

• It would be terrible if you ended the series on a depressing remark. Therefore you should write a fifth book so everybody curiosity will be settled and people will all know what happens to the Riders. So please, please, please write a book 5 for the Inheritance Cycle, but obviously with Eragon as the main character.

30. Please. Write another book and the last one was awesome! And we need to know how the riders rebuild and how they train the dragons and riders!

31. I absaloutley loved your fourth book of the Inheritance series, but will there be another book that has Eragon in it. Please write another one!

• Please write another book because the last one was awesome! And we need to know about how the riders order comes into shape and how they join and train them.

• A prequel about Alalea and the reason the elves left (their big mistake) or the Dragons before the elves came. Also it would be cool if Christopher Paolini wrote something on the new riders

32. why did you put a green dragon on the cover? will there be a green dragon that comes into the book

33. do you think you’ll write any other dragon books

34. what made you write about dragonsandwhen did you make eragon

35. Will be 5 book?

36. im disapointed waiting for your next book i have been waiting so long JAS

37. read then about 12 times so far in the past 2 months. im dieing to read the next book!

38. nosferatu // July 7, 2011 at 5:12 am // Reply

These books have become my favorite series to read, ive read the first 3 books over and over and i am greatly anticipating the 4th installment. lets all hope it comes out soon! goinon 3 years here!

39. It’s May 2011 now… WHEN will the next book come out, Mr. Paolini? I’m desperate here!! <3

40. ImmortalFantasy // May 2, 2011 at 9:55 am // Reply

what is the title of the fourth book?

41. i tore threw the first 3 books an ive been waiting forever for the fourth im going crazy waiting! i have to know what happens soon!

42. I hope you writ book four i absilutly loved all the other books

43. When will the fourth book come out already? There have been no updates either. We should be given some sort of possible release date from the author so we can wait till then.

44. i don’t think there will be a 5th book and as for the 4th one i think it will come out sometime in 2010 if at all…

45. This book is apparently never going to be published… 2 years and waiting, probably wont be able to finish the series in book 4 and will keep everyone waiting until 2020 for the release of book 5.

46. i hope u write book four fast nearly witing for it for 2 years now and wil u name thefourth book eldunari

1 2 3 4