Christopher Paolini chats about new book

The latest installment in Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle hits bookstores Saturday, Sept. 20. Following in the footsteps of “Eragon” and “Eldest,” “Brisingr” will be the third of four planned books in this fantasy adventure.

In an interview with Boys’ Life, Christopher spoke of reading, dreaming and adventure as a child in Paradise Valley, Mont.

Christopher spent his days exploring mountains and rivers. Fantasy fiction caught his attention and he attacked the local library. He read anything and everything, including Boys’ Life.

At age 15, he sat down to write the kind of story he’d like to read. His family self-published “Eragon” in 2001. Christopher traveled the country in costume, speaking to students about the magic of reading and sharing his own story.

“It was intense,” Christopher says. “I dare anyone to put on a medieval costume when you’re 17 and walk into a strange high school. It was a great experience, but definitely a formative experience.”

The experience paid off.

“Eragon” landed in the hands of Carl Hiaasen’s stepson. Hiaasen, who’s written “Hoot” and other young adult novels, sent “Eragon” to Random House Publishing. Soon, Christopher’s story became a bestseller.

“Eragon” has since become a film, and “Eldest” also became a bestseller. It’s been quite a jump for the young man from rural Montana.

Christopher traces all his success back to reading.

“It’s done everything for me. Reading is probably the single most important skill I’ve learned in my life,” he says. “It’s crucial that you find books that you yourself enjoy. People who haven’t fallen in love with reading yet, I tell them to try another book, try another genre. There’s so much out there. Take another look.”

Click on the audio players below to hear portions of Christopher’s interview with Boys’ Life.

Christopher on how the outdoors and the Montana landscape have shaped his stories:

Christopher on why he started writing “Eragon”:

Christopher on how he invented the different languages used in the Inheritance Cycle:

32 Comments on Christopher Paolini chats about new book

1. eldest rocked and so did brisingr but idk when book 4 will come out PLZ FINISH SOON!!!!!

2. KingHenrik // March 5, 2010 at 1:11 am // Reply

All 3 books were great! Make sure the 4th book is great, take your time. DO WORK!

3. murtagh is awsome // February 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm // Reply

brisingr is the best book ever. i hated when oromis died

4. Is your fourth book coming soon? All you fans are dying to read it. Hury!

5. when does you forth book come out?

6. i lov the series but im starting to forget wat has happened in them cuz iv been waiting so long for the last book. hopefully the 4th book is really long and good so it wil b worth the wait!

7. Oh oops. Did not look at the website when I clicked on it off google. Like sacred ground for guys or something. Sorry!

• The second book was the best and the third was the worst. The last one better be good or ill feel like i wasted my tome on this series.

• are you kidding me!!!! the third gave the most insight to eragonit sets up the whole plot for the next book and everything is coming together!!!! its meant to seem dark and horrible towards the end but the third is far better then the second!!!!!!!! think before you speak about the books =P peace…

8. You take forever to write. I was in the seventh grade when I started them. I’m sixteen now. I bet you anything that I will be senior by the time you finish. Please prove me wrong.

9. I love all the books I want to read them over and again. Just please finish the book soon

10. when is 4 book is releasing

• I love your books and I rerad them in maybe 1 or 2 weeks and loved them.I can`t wait tell the 4th comes out. I hope it comes out soon. I`m debating on if I should read the series again because it was so good.I can`t find anything like it to read.

11. Congratulations with the books. And do not hurry like they say, take your time and do your final book well.

• patience is a virtue young ones the books r good and i cant wait for the next one but i have my own theorys like what if eragon and arya r never going to get togethermabye its some one else and what about Angela dont count her o9ut just yet and i wonder shes based off his sister right dose she talk in riddles too? i look fowared to the next part of the book in the cycle oh and what about the green egg back in Uru’baen hmmm? think ppl.

12. plz huury up and finish book all of them are good and i know this one will be better

13. Man hurry up and finish book four plz i cant wait all books are good i bet that this one will be even better

14. DragonsRule // October 4, 2009 at 7:18 pm // Reply

I bet the next Rider’s sword will be Tamerlein.

15. loved all tree books sooooooo cant wait till fourth one is out

16. all the other books are awsome so i can’t wait fo the fourth one and the second movie

17. man just a ball park date would be nice

18. great books when will book four be out.

19. In the acknowlodgments at the end of Brisingr, you said that your agent gave you a “kick in the pants” which made you speed up, pretend that i said what he said.

20. ,zxgc kvajd // August 18, 2009 at 9:03 am // Reply

i cant wait until the 4th book comes out!!! by the way i am guessing all you lot are fans too cause i am!

21. ,zxgc kvajd // August 18, 2009 at 9:01 am // Reply

i totally agree with the others!!! i have read all three books and now i am so bored with out a book to read and i refuse to start reading a different auther or book cause i will end up starting to forgett about eragon, eldest and brisingr and what hapend in them .GRRRRR!

22. What will be awaiting in Book 4? I loved how Brom was Eragon’s father and Rhunon used Eragon to make the sword, Brisingr.

23. How close are you to finishing book 4 please be very close

24. monkeyboy10 // July 30, 2009 at 7:19 pm // Reply

i feel bad for glaedr…

25. monkeyboy10 // July 30, 2009 at 7:17 pm // Reply

i love brisingr! it is the best of the 3! i read like 0ver 5 hours a day of it!

• Hey! I was only 8 when I read Brisngr & I’m 10 now I’ve been waitin’ for 2 years now for the fourth book but it sill hasn’t come out.

1 3 4 5 6 7 8