Q. Hey Gear Guy, What kinds of things do you need to look for when shopping for a hammock tent?
—Nathan Notent, Andalusia, Ala.
A. Ahh, hammock tents — if you’ve been following the Gear Guy you know I LOVE camping in a hammock tent. They keep you up off the ground, they’re usually simple to pitch, and pound for pound they are the most comfortable way to sleep on the trail. O.K., when shopping for a new one here are some things to consider:
- How easy is it to set up/pitch?
- Does it have enough ventilation?
- Total weight? Is it light enough for backpacking?
- How small does it pack down?
- Does it come with insect-proof mesh?
- What about a rainfly for bad weather?
- Is it easy to get in and out of the hammock?
There are quite a few hammock tent options on the market, but here are two of my favorites:
–Hennessy Expedition Asym ($140; hennessyhammock.com) weighs just 2 lbs. 12 oz. with built-in mosquito netting and a detachable rainfly.
–Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) OneLink Hammock Shelter System ($200; www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com) really easy to pitch and comes with a slip-on bug net and rainfly; weighs in at 4 pounds 4 ounces.