Q. I have some old leather boots that are dry and stiff. I polish them, but it doesn’t seem to help. Is there a way to get them smooth and more durable?
– Beat-Up Boots Ben, Mansfield, Pa.
A. Hey, Ben, thanks for the question. Here’s what you need to do:
- Clean your boots. Grab a soft-bristled brush. Rinse your boots with cool water and brush the dirt and grime off the seams and stitching. Clean the insides, too.
- Dry the boots. Pick a warm, dry place where they can air dry. Stuff newspaper inside the boots to help them dry out more quickly.
- Condition the leather. Once your boots are dry, lightly coat the leather with a conditioner like Nikwax Conditioner for Leather ($8 MSRP; nikwax.com).
- Waterproof. Spray on or rub in a waterproofing product from brand names like Nikwax or ReviveX (mcnett-outdoor.com).
Do all that, and your boots will be good to go.
Tags: Hiking boots