Good knife for an 8-year-old

Q. I want to buy a pocketknife for my 8-year-old nephew. He has just started a pocketknife collection and has about 8 knives. Can you recommend a good knife for a boy that age?
— Aunt Debra, Houston, Texas

A. You must be a cool aunt to be buying your nephew a knife! Will you be my auntie too? OK, seriously, good knives for an 8-year-old? Here are two that I think he’d be sure to dig:

BSA Official Cub Scouts Pocket Knife ($19.99; www.scoutstuff.org) You just can’t go wrong with the official Cub Scouts pocketknife! It’s got a stainless steel 2¼”-long blade with a flat head screwdriver, cap lifter and punch blade folded inside.

Gerber Mini Paraframe ($16.26; www.gerbergear.com) This folding knife has an open stainless steel handle, which makes it both lightweight (just 1.4 ounces) and cool-looking! The 2.22”-long locking blade is high carbon stainless steel with a fine edge and it comes with a handy pocket clip too.

Ask the Gear Guy

Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Click here to send in your questions for the Gear Guy. Selected questions will be answered here and in the printed magazine.

35 Comments on Good knife for an 8-year-old

1. Knife edge // March 21, 2012 at 8:39 pm // Reply

get him something inexpensive, i didnt stop losing knives until i turned 13 and the only one i have left is a leatherman micra that i cant recommend highly enough. its especially good because it has scissors instead of pliers when you fold it out. it also doesn’t have any unnessecary tools. when are you going to use a flashdrive or bottle opener that you have on your knife anyway.

2. Knife Xpert 157 (aka Chad 101) // October 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm // Reply

the BUCK 55 hunter would be a perfect knife for an 8 yer old! it is made in America as well!

• Agreed! Also, get the ecolite, its lighter so it’ll be easier to carry and it helps the environment (something every scout supports:)

3. Knife Xpert 157 (aka Chad 101) // October 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm // Reply

I agree with The Gear Guy the Gerber Mini Paraframe is probably one of the best choices.

4. im ten i have a kershaw scallion and am looking at a h&k automatic

• Knife Xpert 157 (aka Chad 101) // March 7, 2013 at 2:27 pm // Reply

If it is an auto it is most likely illegal to carry unless your a Police Officer. Assisted blades are legal in all states. I recamend one that is made by Kershaw and has their patented SpeedSafe. Such as the Leek or the Funxion EMT. (please not there is a differance between assisted and auto knives)

5. KnifeFanatic // July 16, 2011 at 4:10 am // Reply

Also the Buck Vantage Series also has a Buck Vantage Small Series and they have miniaturized versions of many of their models.

6. I think 8 is a perfect age for a kid to own a knife. Maybe not a Bowie knife or a Hunting knife but a little Swiss Army knife with all the accessories would be just fine under adult supervision of course. It also depends on the kid

7. Too bad dad won’t let me have one.

8. camping rules // May 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm // Reply

1 really good knife is the gerber paraframe 2 partially serrated.it has a strong lock and a thick sturd blade

9. camping rules // May 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm // Reply

Get the Gerber Paraframe 2 with partially serrated.It is a sturdy knife with a strong lock. althought it is hard 2 find try to get it in non reflectant black/grey

10. The S.S. SCOUT! // February 26, 2011 at 11:25 am // Reply

I’m not 8 but i cant find a good one (I do have a swiss army knife but cant find it) and the one i have it multi-tool so its realy bulky please let me know were to get a non-expencive but good knife. (I have my widdlers chip lol)

• Chicagobull23 // May 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm // Reply

Just go to a sports authority or dicks sporting goods and go to the shotgun and knife section and there is a great buck knife multitool and switch for an inexpensive

11. Old Boyscout // January 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm // Reply

I recommend anything with a small blade (easier to carry), easy to open (softer spring, if you’re getting a folding knife), and a high carbon blade (easier to sharpen). I grew up with an old Ka-bar sheath knife with a four inch blade. I did everything with this knife, including skinning game and working leather. I carried it on my saddle, used it in the Boy Scouts, and carried it with me many times in the military. I still have it and it’s still as sharp as a razor.

12. coolscout307 // January 11, 2011 at 6:56 am // Reply

i have a whitetail cutlery hand made knife its pretty nice but not like the mini paraframe

13. I recommend getting both a multi-tool(Swiss Army) and a one-handed lock-blade. I usually carry both of mine to campouts.

14. what about an aegis?

15. good ones at R.E.I.

16. Nice thought, but I think an 8 year-old is too young for knives. However, if you insist, get him one of those super – tiny colored pocket – knives they sell at Wal-Mart that couldn’t damage a glass ball.

• Actually according to the Guide to Safe Scouting, a knife is appropriate for Wolves and above, ages 7+, and is a requirement for Bears, age 8. I remember working on the requirements as a Bear back in the day.

• webelosleader // April 1, 2011 at 8:53 am // Reply

to Campking-8 year olds are Bears in Cub Scouts which is when they receive training for their Whittlin’ Chip. They absolutely are not too young to learn to use a knife safely!

17. get him a lock blade. if you want him to remember it and stuff by one at a trading post around 10-30 dollars. you could also engrave it with your name or his.

18. Academy Sports, WalMart and Target sell a knife that any Cub would think was very cool. It has a spoon, knife, fork and can opener. I beleive that it is a Coleman. It is not very expensive either. Have someone that knows what they’re doing put a good edge on the blade as well.

19. camleback222 // December 12, 2010 at 1:26 pm // Reply

usally if they are cubscouts they cannot use a knife
    but if they aren`t a cub scout it is even worse to get them a kinfe
    if u want a good knife try target or wal mart the aren`t the best knifes but the are in price range

20. get a lock blade, they don’t shut on fingers

21. THE PARAFRAME IS CHEAPER AT WAL MART DONT BUY FROM WEBSITE REPEAT DONT BUY FROM WEBSITE ABOUT $11 FROM WAL MART IT IS A GREAT KNIFE I RECOMMEND IT

22. i like the victorinox tinker its $20 at wal mart it is a great knife

23. I found a knife set made by Gerber for my grandson, the set was two different sizes. My grandson is 8 and a cubscout, so next year he will be ready for his whittlin chit.

24. I Love Camping Hammocks // December 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm // Reply

awsome link i love lockblades

1 2 3 4