How to prevent chafing on the trail

chafing

Q. My troop just went on a weekend camp-out. After we climbed this big hill, I started chafing in my groin area. It itched so bad, it was really uncomfortable. My friends were making fun of me because I was adjusting my underwear all weekend. How do I prevent chafing?
— Chafed Chad, Belleville, Kan.

A. Ahhh, crotch rot! Don’t worry, Chad, you’re not alone. Even if your buddies don’t admit it, every guy has (or will have) problems with this. Chafing is often caused by poorly fitting clothes and/or sweating. So, wear a good pair of underwear that wicks sweat away from your body. Some guys prefer tight-fitting boxers that cover the inner thighs so there’s no skin-to-skin rubbing. High-quality underwear might seem expensive, but if you avoid chafing, it’s worth it.

Once on the trail, make sure to keep your body dry. Bring some baby powder with you. Just dump a handful into your palm then stick your hand in your pants and coat it all. Don’t skimp on the stuff. This powder will keep you dry and should soothe any chafing hot spots.

Ask the Gear Guy

Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Click here to send in your questions for the Gear Guy. Selected questions will be answered here and in the printed magazine.

27 Comments on How to prevent chafing on the trail

1. Petroleum jelly. Period.

2. Former Philmont Ranger // August 28, 2015 at 6:14 pm // Reply

Remember to be “Bear Aware” when it comes to using these various remedies. Putting on scented items in the afternoon could create another problem

3. Country life // August 28, 2015 at 4:57 pm // Reply

Bag balm. Get it at tractor supply. Used for cow udders to prevent chafing and getting raw. Works great. A little goes a long way.

4. Plenty of athletic undies that help protect thighs and groin. Trail Toes though works amazing for any friction spots, including thighs and groin area.

5. I used all the things you all mentioned the best thing I found now is deodorant im a garbage man and this even works in the rain

6. Gold Bond body glide (like a deodarnt stick) or Gold Bond powder (the spray is ex to use) is an excellent preventative. My Walmart carries both.

7. For cheap easy use deodorant

• Chem concerns // August 29, 2015 at 6:39 am // Reply

Deodorants have extra chemicals that you probably don’t want in that area. With frequent use, they cause many people allergic rashes and they have to stop using or switch to “all natural” brands. I have seen the rash on armpits and believe me, you do not want it in the groin area!

8. Solo in Wisconsin // August 23, 2015 at 12:56 pm // Reply

I pack Gold Bond in snack size baggies. Put your individual bags in one bag to prevent an accidental mess. This saves on weight and you can control your portions.

9. I use Wicker’s boxer briefs purchased at Campmor and AntiMonkeybutt powder. Youth will wear the powder because of the funny name before the problem occurs. After it happens I use Boudreaux’s butt paste. Again the name helps the youth get over the fact that it is diaper rash ointment.

10. WhoDoesntChafe // August 23, 2015 at 7:31 am // Reply

Try A&D ointment too – it works wonders after the fact (after showering – at night) to protect, and heal, skin. It also, and VERY IMPORTANTLY, won’t burn when you apply it to skin that’s already chafed. Keep it in your pack easily accessible during the day and reapply as needed. It works wonders!

11. Scoutmaster115 // August 23, 2015 at 12:47 am // Reply

While the corn starch idea works, you do have to be careful to not use to much. Otherwise, with all the sweat, you just create a gooey, sticky mess. Basically, creating gravy.

12. When all else fails and you don’t have anything else, use your deodorant…I have used the glide=on gel and it worked great!

13. A&D ointment as found in infant supplies. TRUST ME it pays to carry some with you. Protects and heals the skin area. Put some on when you first get up to prevent it as well.

14. Boudreaux’s butt paste..solves all sorts of problems..We use it at the beach for Beach rash..trust me, sand can cause some serious pain….Boudreaux’s solves all those problems.

15. Talc and corn starch function very different on the body. However, put a half-cup of either one in a cotton sock, fold over the opening and sew or safety pin it shut. Now you have a powder puff applicator that places just the right amount where you want it. Try both rubbing it on and patting the problem spots. Very effective.

16. I suggest Anti Monkey Butt Powder. I get it at Tractor Supply.

17. Thunder thighs // August 22, 2015 at 4:43 pm // Reply

On a 10 miler I had some bad chaffing…I put moleskin on my thighs in order to finish the hike.

18. chafed no more // June 6, 2015 at 12:44 am // Reply

Powder is the way to go for me. I use Hüppo Powder Pocket. It is motion released and not messy.

19. Girl Scout // August 1, 2014 at 6:55 pm // Reply

Try washing.

• Scouter B // May 17, 2016 at 9:36 pm // Reply

can’t always wash on many hikes. that can sometimes make it worse. you still need to prevent then treat after the fact.

20. BodyGlide, available in running stores, is a great product for preventing chafing, especially skin on skin rubbing. It’s gotten me through many hikes, long runs, and a few marathons.

21. eagle7-25-10 // December 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm // Reply

at Philmont i used some football boxers, not boxerbriefs, they were really comfortable and there was no chafing the entire 110 miles

22. ASM_in_Texas // August 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm // Reply

hey, we found that if you dont have powder, or stuff like that, check the grub box for some corn starch… when you rest, or finished the hike, at little dusting of corn starch can help dry your chafed area, but dont use to much…. stuff likes to clump up:) Get the unscented corn starch based powder, or like “Chafed Camper 556” says, Gold Bond does well also… I always have a bottle of Gold Bond with me…

23. Chafed Camper556 // August 9, 2009 at 5:45 am // Reply

Gold Bond Medicated powder sometimes will soothe the chafing, but not as well as a cream or ointment from the rubbing of clothing on skin such as in a small skin burn.

24. Two sizes too small boxer briefs578 // August 4, 2009 at 5:03 pm // Reply

Every person is different when it comes to chafing after hiking up a large slope of a hill. Some people whose pant sizes are a waist size 28 will sometimes wear a boxer brief size 18 to distinguish their own clothes in the family laundry from older males in their family. If it is okay to use, some people use clotrimazole cream (foot cream) to soothe chafing if the chafing is a transfer of foot fungus to the groin area when putting on their clothes. Lotrimin AF Foot Cream (clotrimazole cream) can sometimes soothe chafing as well as Desinex foot powder better than baby powder to soothe chafing. Perfumed baby powder will really sting a reddened, eroded skin chafing from underwear which is two or three sizes too small for a person’s waist size.

25. Chafless Tenderfoot // August 3, 2009 at 8:17 pm // Reply

I use ua’s boxerjock, they work miracles