Guy Gear

Hydration Systems buying guide

“Hydrate or die!” Sure, that sounds a little dramatic, but it’s true: Our bodies need water to survive. Whether you’re on a long hike, playing soccer or doing anything active, drinking water will keep your body working efficiently and safely, and you’ll have more fun.

waterbottle-550

There are lots of ways to down the wet stuff, so here are a some buying tips along with a few of the Gear Guy’s favorite products.

THE LOWDOWN: THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB

The first thing to think about is what activity you’ll be doing most. For hiking or camping or hanging at the skatepark, a water bottle or canteen might be perfect. Just carry it in your hand or toss it in your daypack. If you’re doing something like cycling, snowboarding or kayaking in which you need your hands free, consider a hydration pack.

BOTTLES AND CANTEENS

If you’re hiking or going to stay in one area, a bottle works great, and this is the cheapest option, too. A couple of buying considerations:

Weight: If you’re backpacking, get something lightweight. There are even special collapsible bags that weigh next to nothing.

Taste: Sometimes cheap water bottles and canteens can give your water a strange plastic taste or hold the flavor of something you had in the bottle weeks earlier. Usually those made of very hard polycarbonate plastic are best. Look for the words “taste-free” on the label or ask a shopkeeper in an outfitter store for help.

Seals: Make sure the top screws or pops on tightly.

Here are some great bottles:

HYDRATION PACKS

Like a camel, these packs are equipped with a special bladder that lets you carry all your water on your body; you just drink it through a special straw. The pack stays secure on your back, so you don’t have to use your hands to take a drink.

Plan to spend $30 to $80 for one of these. When picking a pack, first think of how much water you’ll want to carry and how long you’ll be gone. Some hold as little as 30 ounces; the largest can carry up to 100 ounces or more. Most hydration packs have pockets and room for other stuff, and some are as large as a big daypack.

You’ll want the pack to fit snug and not slung low on your lower back, otherwise it’ll cause painful pressure and bounce around like crazy while you’re moving.

Here are some great packs:

IS A BLADDER BEST?

Most manufacturers offer hydration bladders separately rather than built into a special pack. These run as low as $6 and are cool and versatile because you can use them in your backpack and move it to your daypack for shorter trips.

CLEAN IS KEY

This is probably the last thing you want to hear about (especially after having to clean your room, the dishes and Dad’s car), but if you don’t keep your bottle or hydration bladder clean you’ll risk getting sick. If you leave water in something for a while, it gets stale and can develop bad bacteria.

If you’re lazy, look for something dishwasher-safe. (It should say so on the label.) Bladder systems are notoriously tough to clean. The easiest are ones that have openings large enough for you to stick your hand inside. Some have detachable hoses, but to really get one clean, you may need to buy a special brush, which will cost you an extra $10 or so.

Tags:

Comments about “Hydration Systems buying guide”

1. THE GEAR GUY says:

HIGH SIERRA hydration backs are great

2. GEAR MAN says:

I had the Source hydration bladder (the kind of bladders that come in Cabela’s hunting packs) are really good. The hose on the bladder has a sleeve on it so it doesn’t freeze in cold conditions, and it is very easy to dry out. I have never needed cleaning, and it is really easy to fill up. Awesome hydration bladder!

3. sasuke never planned says:

i dont have a camelback,so i use my sisters (she used it for the color gaurd training

4. Skinny Willy says:

You want one that you won’t run out of water so quickly so get one that holds 60oz or more.

5. ps-fsb says:

TOP 2 HYDRATION SYSTEMS
    1. camelbak unbottle
    2. platypus hoser

6. sora says:

i love camelbaks:):):)

7. troop45 says:

I love my cammelbak mule. its the perfect size

8. campingfreak says:

i want a hydration system but camelbaks are too expensive. I plan to make a hydration system with a water bottle w/ a hole in it,lots of duck tape and several straws.

• ajx says:

you can get a really nice High Sierra water backpack that comes with a water pack and its really light! the one i`m talkin about has a net that folds into the backpack so that you can store your helmet when you are biking. i love it. i take it everywhere. sometimes you can buy one at Costco for $20.

• sora says:

okay……uh have fun with that

• ohhh yyyeeaahhh says:

just look at something called a platypus. the 70 ounce type is half the price of the camelbak’s 70 ounce type

9. isaacgoldensun says:

you really only need a water bottle. water packs are cool, and you don’t have to keep cliping and unclipping your water bottle, but they are too expensive.

10. get up and go says:

Dude!, just use a surplus canteen, with one of those cotton canteen
    covers! They clip too your belt, and they hold the cold in, and keep
    the heat out. Your water will still be cold after two hours in 90
    degree weather! And even after that, it will bu NO means ever get
    hot!

11. GEAR MAN says:

An army canteen works great for ant trek, and so do Nalgene bottles and stuff like that. The hydration systems like Camel-Backs and Platypus are great for day hikes and summer camps, as well as your council’s camporees and outdoor get-togethers.

12. middie football says:

camelbacks are good but the best thing to buy is a hydrastorm. there easier to clean and their more durable but their just a little bit more expensive. so if your thinking about getting a camelback just consider this.

13. DR says:

SIGG water bottles are very durable and lightweight. they are on the expevsive side (25-35 $)but will last for years.

14. firestarter17 says:

I have a nalgene (dropped it 20 feet and it stayed together) bottle that i hold with a carabiner when i go biking, i clip it to my handlebar or belt when i go hiking, i put a string through the carabiner and sling it over my shoulder
    also works good for everyday use

15. camper man says:

CAMELBAKS are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. bob2019 says:

I bought my dad a camelback and it works great

17. Marine says:

i have a camelbak bottle and so does my dad. both him and i love ‘em. if you want to buy one buy one of these!

18. spark says:

13adabing, Get alumimum bottles if you want to be eco. i think

19. 13adabing says:

so, nalgene waterbottles arent a good choice? so, wat type of waterbottle would you get then?

20. 13adabing says:

can you use camalbaks 4 running?

• Troop730SPL says:

Camelbaks have multiple uses. It is important to get the one that will fit your outdoor experiences. If you like to bike, they have that. If you like to hike, they have that too. I personally have a Camelbak Cloudwalker. It is perfect for hikeing, and also works well for biking.
      Hope this helps!

21. Army Ranger says:

Camelbaks are the best.

22. camper 23 says:

I have a 2L and a 1.5L pack they work good.

23. boneyfeetpro says:

Hey, “looking for a mountain bike”: you did spell CAMELBAK correctly, but you did mispell the word “Usually”…oops.

Anyway, I’ve been riding with my CAMELBAK for over 7years, the same one at that, and if you are getting the waist strap caught in the wheels, then obviously its too long. So cut it, shorten it, do what it takes to make it safe. I ride technical and not so technical trails and nothing like that has ever happend to me or my fellow riders before….go figure.

But I guess your point was to say that the Camelbak is a good piece of equipment to have for hydration while bike, right?

24. runner 630 says:

i hava a 70 oz camelbak and it is great i use it 4 running when i go early in the morning it doesnt hurt my bak either i also use on bike rides and it works great b ut i also use a nalgene because it works great on campouts :)

25. ijustgotbackfromcarycamp says:

hey i saw someone with a Camelbak yesturday! man I could have used one……

26. looking for a mountain bike says:

on the good side Camelbaks (yeah you spell it that way) are really durable and are lightweight even with it filled. But if you ride a bike with them the waist straps get caught in the wheels and usally have small pockets. Also NEVER get them at eastern mountain sports or should i say expensive mountain sports. Get them online at Ebay or something.

27. sdboyscout says:

Don’t buy Nalgenes. The plastic is toxic.

28. Troop547guru says:

Dont use nalgenes

They breakdown and can be harmful to your body by releasing chemicals

29. loveguns says:

cheaper than dirt .com has a M.O.L.L.E. gear hydration system for $19.99

5 stars from 33 customers! 2.5 liters! a opening big enough for ice cubes!

30. boneyfeetpro says:

I like my camelback for mountain biking, but for running I have a waist pack that holds two16.9 oz water bottles. This is specially made for that size bottle and you don’t have to wash it, just recycle and you’re on your way. Next time out, you have two fresh and clean bottles ready to go.

I like this one best for running because I already buy cases of water bottles anyway.

31. kootenaykaos says:

when it says that you can just get a bladder and put it i n your normal pack i would recommend getting one from polarpak. they are great. they have everything from keeping your water cold all day(truly) to having pressurized water from your bladdder

32. Airsoft Marine says:

If your thinking about getting one get a M.O.L.L.E. one you can add poutches to it

33. Airsoft Marine says:

I have a camelbak in airsoft and it works like a charm.I almost fell i was so thirsty so i bought a camelbak and now i feel better.

34. Underoath123 says:

I have an aluminum water bottle. I find that it’s more durable than the Nalgene bottles, and after a while, the Nalgene plastic begins to break down.

35. philmont 09 75 says:

I have a camel back they are great when I go on day hikes I put it in my camelback hicking pack and when I go backpacking I slip the bladder in my pack it the best and I never taste plastic or anything it great

36. scoutdude says:

Nalgenes are indestructible. You can run them over with a truck and shoot them with a shotgun.

37. jbob says:

both me and my dad have had camel backs for awhile and we both love them

38. Marine Sniper says:

I use a Camelbak all the time and i use Nalgenes becuz they r in destructable almost.

39. Mr.DudeManDude says:

I’ve been using a camelback for a while now, but I’ve never seen a plastic bladder!!!!!

40. Lightning Mcqueen says:

Cool.

41. Zenfidel says:

I’ve been wanting to get the “Smartube” and the “Firefly” but i don’t know where to get them. I anyone knows where to find them I would very much like to know. XD

42. Pack760scout says:

The Camelbak and Firefly look awesome!!!!!

43. Jdabw says:

i use a gourd

44. kakashi23 says:

I have almost all canteens, cammelbacks ect. but no bota gourd

45. hikingirishdude says:

i have been using a camelbak for 3 years now and it still is holding up it has been to 5 countries and i would never get rid of it

46. Bubba says:

I got camelpak a few days ago. It is a M.U.L.E and it was 90.00. It carrys 100once’s of water and it is really light.(:(:(:(:

47. M427ASQ says:

i have a camelback and it works great because you can keep things like your fieldbook, food, and a survival kit and it all wieghs almost nothing

48. coolkid676 says:

canteens are graet for hikes but don’t fill it up all the way because they can be very heavy, or get a l.l. bean bottle for small hikes

49. lego10734 says:

I wont to use my dads on are last hike it was tough and i was thursty but my dad

whould not let me use his

50. Hess says:

i use the camelback it works great

Write a comment about “Hydration Systems buying guide”

Nickname: