Hear from Zachary Gordon, the real-life Wimpy Kid

Zachary Gordon steps onto the big screen this month as Greg Heffley, the not-so-tough main character in “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” based on the best-selling books by Jeff Kinney. An unabashed fan of the Wimpy Kid books, Zachary considers Greg his dream role. That doesn’t mean working on the film was easy.

Boys’ Life caught up with Zachary last September on the Wimpy Kid set in Vancouver, B.C. See Zachary’s own diary (illustrated Wimpy Kid-style by Jeff Kinney) in the April 2010 issue of BL, and listen to exclusive excerpts by clicking on the audio players below.

Zachary on auditioning to play Greg Heffley:

Zachary on his first day on set:

Zachary on the challenges of acting:

Zachary on staying focused while acting:

Zachary on hanging out with friends:

Zachary on his future plans:

35 Comments on Hear from Zachary Gordon, the real-life Wimpy Kid

1. Gavin cool drummer // March 27, 2010 at 8:11 pm // Reply

Dude zach you rock I so want to go see the movie .do you have an email address and can i have your autograph I love the book’s and you rock hard

2. nice job following your dreams zach

3. zachary fan // March 26, 2010 at 4:36 pm // Reply

I’m a big fan of the books and the movies and you.I’m your BIGGEST fan and would like your autograph.I hope to meet you some day.
    p.s your a talented actor.

4. Mr. Bernstein // March 26, 2010 at 6:09 am // Reply

I read all the books and loved them. I even have read the “Diary of a wimpy kid movie diary”. I saw the movie on March 24th and it is OK. They show stuff in the comercials that is not in the movie, which was disapointing when they were not there.

5. junkmaster // March 25, 2010 at 7:50 pm // Reply

Love your books and your gonna do great in the movie you rock dude

6. You are an amazing actor Zach I am the greatest fan of the Diary of a Wimpy kid books

7. pokemon arceus // March 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm // Reply

do you like pokemon?

8. i have read all of the books and i saw the movie and liked it.

9. yo i lo ve the movie and reread the books several times and they never get old.

10. jake m. guy // March 25, 2010 at 2:40 pm // Reply

i havent seen the movie yet but i cant wait to see the secret freckle.

11. The books are awesome and you did a great job in the movie

12. Do you like poptropica? jeff kinney created that too. I have also met jeff kinney

13. I saw the movie and u were spectacular and I feel sorry for Rowley for eating the cheese u were a good friend.

14. Gavin cool drummer // March 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm // Reply

Wow! the acter sond’s like he rock’s!!!!!!!

15. how old are you Zachary,do you have a ds.

16. Thats cool. . .I love the books they’re awesome!

17. YOU ROCK!!

18. Hi I like Diary Of A Wimpy Kid too.Once I would read one I could not stop.I would like to meet you and Jeff Kenny

19. darth vader // March 22, 2010 at 1:37 pm // Reply

I’ve read the books but a movie seems a bit much.
    the main reson the books are so good is because theare
    is no clear-cut picture of who the person is like,
    it gives you room to imageine

21. You are a lot like me! I just got the new magazine and read everything. I hope you have fun on set everyday! P.S. Can i have your autograph?

22. hey Zachary im Cameron im a big fan of your books my friends at school love you to. i live in vancouver wa ive always wanted to meet someone like you. i have a question how old are you. im 9

23. I love all the books too. I`ve read all of them and i wish i was staring in the movie

24. Explosion2244 // March 20, 2010 at 10:39 am // Reply

Zachary Gordon rocks!!!

25. crazypenguin9013 // March 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm // Reply

I can’t wait for the movie ether