How to sharpen a knife or ax

53 Comments on How to sharpen a knife or ax

1. For those who can’t view the video, the knots video has a pop up that says flash is required to view and it can’t be viewed by mobile devices. Bummer.

2. I was a little confusing but overall it was helpful.

3. I saw a commercial for “The Edge Of Glory”,which can sharpen a bunch of things.

4. Troop17 is right. its better to go against the edge because there is less of a chance of rounding it off an ruining the edge. @hawkeye, maybe you’re just a boss at sharpening blades.

5. I worked for Buck Knives for two years and one of my duties was sharpening knives on a leather strop.

6. This is wrong you’re supposed to have the blade pointed away from you while doing this it says so in the boy scout handbook

7. Good Reminder If You Forget How To Sharpen a Axe or Knife:)

8. Random person // October 12, 2010 at 6:46 am // Reply

my knife is so DULL it wont sharpen with a whetstone.how do i sharpen it!please HELP!!!!!

• get a good qulity pocket gatco sharpener (they sell them at Cabelas)they will sharpen almost anything really well I use them to keep my knives razor sharp (you can alomst shave with my letherman)

• how long have you had your knife?

9. files work faster than stones and if you ever have to cut out a stump sharpening with a stone will take forever

10. it really isn’t that easy

11. HawaiianEagle74 // August 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm // Reply

How is it that we teach our scouts to always cut away from their body but when sharpening an ax they file towards the blade with their hands? Shouldn’t it be taught to get on the other side of the ax and file the same direction as the blade?

• If you try and sharpen ‘with the blade’ you will likely round over the edge – always sharpen against the edge.

• i disagree i’ve sharpened my tomahawk with the blade a ton and never had a single problem with it exept now it’s razor sharp and thats a advantage

• Anonymous // May 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm // Reply

There should be a guard ion the file to protect the hand.

12. Scouter32 // June 6, 2010 at 5:12 pm // Reply

I love how Boys Life’s website shows you cool stuff like this.

13. This ax sharpening makes me glad I learned it differently. I agree with burrito about the burr. Try to count the stroke on the first side then repeat on the other. This will give you a good base. You will begin to be able to feel the burr once you have done this a few times. After I finish with the file, I move on to an “ax stone” with some honing oil on it. This will give it a nice touch and it has two sides with diffrent grits to make it even sharper. Lastly, I have been known to use my ax on a barber strop to make it hair splitting.

Remember that a sharp axe is a safe axe.

14. In the knife sharpening video, the angle is actually 23 degrees, not 30. You should also sharpen each side of the blade the same number of times. NEVER sharpen serration on a whetstone.

15. where can i find a whetstone?

16. nice man:-)

17. lonhorn_fan8 // April 24, 2009 at 8:12 pm // Reply

did not understand the knife sharpening

18. i also agree with burrito about the burr on the axe

19. Seems very simple.

20. oldscouter // March 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm // Reply

I have used and sharpened axes for 30 years — I agree with Burrito about the formation of the burr on the axe, and also making one long stroke each time.
    The idea of the log and stakes is a good one. I have never seen it before, and I think it is a good way to go.

21. How often should I sharpen my pocket knife?

22. what about using the file properly, you could very easly ruin files the way the video is showing you how

23. random guy, yuh gotta click on tha thing that sez ax sharpening.

24. The video won’t play for me either.

25. knife collector // November 29, 2008 at 9:42 am // Reply

video wont play.

26. now i know how to sharpen a AXE thanks for the TIPS!

27. i can sharpen my pocket knife.Thanks for the tips.

28. The axe/hatchet sharpening is correct. The knife sharpening is only partially correct.

Alternate from one side of the blade to the other. NEVER continuously hone one side of the blade. This creates an uneven bevel.

29. these are wrong

30. now i can sharpen my pocket knives

31. Axe sharpening info is incomplete. You should mention that a burr will be formed on the opposite side of the blade that you’re filing on, then tell us how to get rid of the burr edge, strop the blade, etc. Also, we were taught to make a long, single file strokes from the near end of the blade to the far end. Your method of filing in small sections most likely will lead to uneven sharpening.

32. CuriousScout // May 27, 2008 at 4:41 pm // Reply

How long should I sharpen the knife?Mine become very dull.

• Sharpen it until it is as sharp as you want it. Differences between people, metals, and stones all contribute to differences in how fast a knife gets sharp, and how sharp it gets. What you consider sharp or dull may be different from what I consider sharp and dull.

33. great video and tip

34. Very good videos!!

35. You can just hold the axe with one hand and sharpen with a whetstone with the other hand if you don’t want to set up the stakes

36. natitonic the file sharpenz the axe (duh)

37. our troop always used wetstones for our axes and stuff. but i think i will tell them to try and use a file next time and see how hat works

38. I never knew you could sharpen an ax with just a filer, log, & tent pegs. I tried it and found out it really works.

39. it is facinating to learn about it

40. oh sorry bout that other comment im just fig. things out here

-Natitonc

41. no offense but, how do you sharpen an ax bye putting it be hind some pegs and a log?

1 Trackbacks & Pingbacks