Learn to tie knots

Sorry, this features requires Flash to run. It is not available on mobile devices.

95 Comments on Learn to tie knots

1. great great keep on doing this

2. difficult but exciting

3. punk princess // February 19, 2010 at 7:26 pm // Reply

this is so kool

4. me too

5. Wow, you made it simple.
    Many Thanks 2/2/10

6. shaun the sheep // January 31, 2010 at 4:02 pm // Reply

cool knots

7. Good site for people who are addicted to knots

8. i love knots

9. IN the square lashing the rope is not kept parallel. This makes it difficult to tighten the lashing.

The ending clove hitch for all the lashings. The first half hitch of the clove hitch should be worked tight against the lashing and the second half hitch should be worked tight against the first half hitch.

10. thanks gear guy i am now a tenderfoot

11. I just joined scouts this helped me learn Taut Line Hictch and Two half Hitches on my way to Tenderfoot

12. strawberry girl // September 7, 2009 at 7:49 pm // Reply

it’s so nice that teatching help me too

13. WOW MY KIDS AND I LOVE THIS GUIDE TO TYING KNOTS.

THANKS

14. I LOVE TIEING KNOTS THEY ARE FUN AND FUN TO LOOK AT

15. Icollectpencils :-) // May 26, 2009 at 8:14 pm // Reply

What a wonderful way to teach knots!!
    Before, I couldn’t tie the two half hitches knot, but now I think I get it!
    Also, it shows all the useful knots.

16. i like this way of teaching

17. that really helped

18. I can’t find the round lashing?

Thanks the other Knots are great!

TAHLZ

19. Girl Scouts of America // April 23, 2009 at 9:13 am // Reply

Thanks so much for the help on the knots. This makes it easy to practice.
    Kathy

20. Scout for Life // April 13, 2009 at 12:28 pm // Reply

Hey Boy’s Life,

Where is the tutorial for a round lashing My troop is goining on a campout this month and I need help.

21. webelos112 // March 28, 2009 at 7:54 am // Reply

I’m a webelos,and this helped me prepare for the knot tying event in operation snowshoe :)

22. this helped me out so much thank you

23. Great videos especially like the ability to slow them down. A GREAT addition would be to list and or show the main uses for each knot.

24. i quit boy scouts and even though i did i can tell this is very helpful for other people who aren’t boy/cub scouts.

25. I agree with themightychief. The diagonal lashing is wrong. Where are the fraps?

26. I agree with many of you this a great and easy way to learn.My dad said he would get rope for me

27. it is awesome

28. really easy

29. This is good, but I could still do this on my bike…

30. I LOVE KNOTS THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN

31. In the handbook it looks hard but it is really easy

BELIEVE ME

32. i iove knots!!!!!!!!

33. too bad you cant wach these

34. themightychief // July 27, 2008 at 6:33 pm // Reply

the diagonal lashing is [still] wrong.

35. finland-garry // May 31, 2008 at 2:26 pm // Reply

I’m so glad that this section has been added to the site! I’m often called upon to tie a knot, and find myself forgetting very easily. Even though I carry a guide to knots around, these tutorials were a lot easier for me to follow.

Here are a few tips to knot tying sucess so you don’t forget as easily as me! :)

-Always carry a book around, but don’ be afriad to spend a little money on the right one. I started with a black and white pocket guide that even my dad couldn’t make sense of! :) (If you can’t get the money, talk to a scout troop leader to see if someone could lend you a book for trips or meetings where you will need to tie knots.)

-Ask for help! Can’t decipher a tricky knot? Ask an adult, older sibling, or friend to give you a hand. It won’t be that hard to ask once you get over the fear of “feeling dumb” in front of others. Everyone needs help once in a while.

-Look for some feedback from other kids! Go on boyslife.com and other websites to hear other advice and perspectives on knot-tying from boys your age.

36. this is really helpful

37. thewebelo // May 1, 2008 at 7:11 pm // Reply

really good help

38. As the video guide noted, the clove hitch is the most widely used knot. This is indeed so. To perform a round lashing for a flagpole, one has to begin and end with clove hitches. The square and floor lashings used to build a camp table also begin and end with clove hitches. Tripod lashing to build a camp chair also begins and ends with clove hitches. These are just a few of the great many uses of clove hitches.

39. this is way better than the drictions in the scout handbook!

40. this is relly helpful!!!!

41. I’m a Webelos den leader, and this is an excellent reference on tieing knots!!! Thanks!!!!

42. Excellent

43. It’s one of the best ways to learn to tie Knots that I’ve heard about.

44. this is very good reference

:-)(-:

45. Tieing nots are COOL !!!!!!

46. I am a Cub Scout leader AND teach girls at camp; this will be awesome for both groups!!!!

47. hardcorecamper // March 16, 2007 at 9:10 am // Reply

This is the best way of teaching to tie knots I’ve evefr seen!

48. so great way of teaching knots

49. I LOVE TO TIE KNOGHTS!

1 2