With some nails and plywood, make three different games and puzzles.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 3 pieces 4″ x 4″ x 3/4″ plywood
- Crosscut saw
- Drill bit big enough to drill holes for the nails to fit snugly but slide in and out easily
- About 40 3″ common nails
- Oil or stain sealer
- Tape to mark the drill bit
- Two different color paints
WHAT YOU’LL DO
• Cut 3 4″ x 4″ squares of plywood and sand.
• Measure, mark with pencil and drill holes 1/2″ deep as shown.
• Sand off pencil marks and seal with oil or stain.
BALANCING NAIL TRICK
1. Follow the dimensions shown and drill 13 holes 1/2″ deep. Sand and seal with oil or stain. Place a nail in the center hole and put 12 nails in the remaining holes. Ask your friends if they can balance the 12 nails on the center nailhead. It’s fun to watch them try.
2. Finally show them it can be done. Lay out the nails on a flat surface as shown.
3. Carefully pick up the nails with your thumbs and index fingers.
4. Balance the 12 nails on the center nail, and there you have the balancing nail trick.
JUMP THE NAIL GAME
1. Follow the dimensions shown and drill 16 holes 1/2″ deep. Sand and seal with oil or stain. To play, start with all holes filled with nails except for one hole.
2. Jump a nail one at a time until you have only one nail left.
1. Follow the dimensions shown and drill 9 holes 1/2″ deep. Sand and seal with oil or stain.
2. Follow the pencil lines and saw 4 grooves about 1/8″ deep.
3. Paint 5 nailheads one color and 5 nailheads another color, and you’re ready to play tic-tac-toe.