What you’ll need:
- About 8 branches from just about any kind of tree. Stay away from conifers like spruce and pine — unless you want sticky sap covering everything you own! The number of branches depends on how spaced apart they are. Please use pruned branches or branches that you can gather from the ground. You can use a mix of branches with bark and branches without. Pick branches with no rot.
- Pocketknife and an old rag
- Measuring tape
- 1″ x 8″ x 32″ board (The actual size of a 1″ x 8″ board is 3⁄4″ x 7 1⁄2″)
- Two 1″ x 6″ x 32″ boards (The actual size of a 1″ x 6″ board is 3⁄4″ x 5 1⁄2″)
- Two 1″ x 6″ x 6″ boards
- Crosscut saw, for cutting the boards and branches
- About 50 1 1⁄2″ wood screws
- Drill bit, to drill pilot holes for the screws
- Countersink bit, to sink the wood screw heads below the surface of the wood
- Wood finish, like stain, paint or water-based polyurethane.
- Two large D-ring hangers (They usually come with screws)
- Two 2 1⁄2″ wood screws, to screw into wall studs
What you’ll do:
1. Measure and cut the boards to size.
2. Sand and screw the frame together. All the screws for this project should be predrilled and countersunk to keep the wood from splitting. Apply your chosen wood finish to the frame.
3. Drill the 2 1⁄2″ screws into wall studs. They should be level and stick out enough for the D-ring hangers to hang onto. Line up the D-ring hangers with the wall screws and screw them onto the back of the frame. Hang up the frame to make sure you have the wall screws and D-ring hangers lined up. If they line up and the frame hangs level, take the frame down from the wall.
4. Cut the branches to size. Try making the ends flat and parallel. Take your time. Use your pocketknife to shave off small bumps from the branches. Use the rag to wipe away any loose bark.
5. Put the branches in place one at a time. Screw each branch tightly to the top with one screw each. Do the same on the bottom.
6. Once all your branches are screwed into place, hang the clothes rack on the wall, and your project is complete.