What You’ll Need:
- 3⁄4″ thick hardwood or plywood board, large enough to cut out two 21⁄2″ disks
- Safety goggles
- 21⁄2″ hole saw with 1⁄4″ pilot bit
- Tung oil
- 1⁄4″ x 2″ bolt with locking nut
- Two 1⁄4″ washers
- 1⁄4″ x 1⁄4″ x 1⁄2″ nylon spacer (from a hardware store)
- Yo-yo string (available at some hobby stores and online; you can also buy a very cheap yo-yo and use the string from that
What You’ll Do:
1. Put on your goggles. Using the hole-saw bit, drill out the two wooden disks. (The pilot bit will make a hole in the center.)
2. Sand the wooden disks very smooth. Make sure that the edges are rounded. When the two disks are sanded to your satisfaction, apply the tongue oil.
3. Slide a washer over the bolt, and push the bolt through the pilot hole in the first disk.
4. Slide the spacer over the bolt, and place the yo-yo string over the spacer. Yo-yo string comes with a loop at one end.
5. Push the bolt through the second disk. Place the second washer over the bolt and screw on the locking nut. Do not screw the nut on too tight.
6. Tie a slipknot on the other end of the string, and your yo-yo is complete. The slipknot will tighten around your finger.
Enjoy your wooden yo-yo!