Campfire building is an important camping skill. However, overuse of campfires and an increasing demand for firewood has degraded the natural appearance of many areas. When building a fire, remember to leave no trace:
- Choose not to have a fire in areas where there is little wood: high elevations, heavily used areas or desert settings.
- The best place to build a fire is within an existing fire ring in a well-placed campsite.
- Keep the fire small, and keep it burning only when you are using it.
- Allow wood to burn completely to ash. Put it out with water, not dirt.
- Keep fires away from tents and tarps. Avoid rock outcrops, where black scars can remain for years.