Wayback Machine

The Wayback Machine is being refurbished and some features are not working at this time. Thank you for your patience!

18 Comments on Wayback Machine

1. First Class Scout, Circling, Soaring and Diving Ring-Billed Sea Gull Patrol, Troop 427 // January 6, 2015 at 8:01 pm // Reply

These archives of Boy’s Life magazine are really great in understanding United States History. Charles A. Lindbergh (1902 to 1974) was the first person to solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean by traveling from Garden City, New York (Long Island, New York) to Paris, France in May, 1927. He made a solo flight by airplane in an airplane that contained a Wright Whirlwind single propeller airplane engine and traveled 3,600 miles across the Atlantic Ocean in about thirty-three and one-half hours (33 1/2 hour airplane flight by a single propeller airplane). The name of his airplane was called “The Spirit of Saint Louis”. A Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet Airplane (using airplane jet engines) usually travel the 3,600 miles from New York, New York to Paris, France in about seven (7 hours) hours to eight (8 hours) hours. The British Aerospace Concorde Supersonic Passenger Airplane would travel the 3,600 miles in about three and one-half (3 1/2 hours) hours.

2. I have asked 2 times about getting copies of the June 1965 issue of Boy’s Life. I must have B/O as nobody wants to let me know if is possible. Is It???

3. ldsphotodude49 // January 1, 2015 at 11:52 pm // Reply

As a Boy Scout in the1960s our troop had a light canvas floor less tent called an explorer tent. They were fairly light (for a canvas tent) and roomy. I’ve tried to find them online but it seems no one has a clue what I’m talking about. Does anyone know what I’m looking for and if there is a place I can still get this style of tent ? This tent had a single center pole with a short ridge pole.

• The Elephant // January 24, 2015 at 11:19 pm // Reply

I think that you might find a set of plans for this tent in “Popular Mechanics” magazine in the late 1940s or early 1950s. The article was about 2 pages and reprinted in “Popular Mechanics” “Boy Mechanic Books”.

• The Elephant // July 1, 2015 at 8:29 pm //

Just a short note, The Explorer Tent was designed with a floor for use in Alaskan Mosquito country. Do a Google Image search and you find that “TentSmiths” makes a fair version of the Explorer Tent.

4. I sold cards for the Wallace Brown greeting card company (All-occassion greeting cards) and earned a BB gun

5. MountainPeak // December 30, 2014 at 1:40 am // Reply

I am so glad I found this. In an issue for medal of heroism. Been looking for it for so many years…Thank YOu

6. aka Harry Potter // September 11, 2014 at 8:04 am // Reply

Where is the January 1912 issue?

• There isn’t any. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

• The Elephant // January 25, 2015 at 5:06 pm // Reply

Pay attention to the volume number and issue number. Apparently there was a January 1912 issue, but no one can find a copy of it. I wonder what it would be worth? About the same value as the video tape of Super Bowl I, I would think.

7. Is anyone else having trouble getting the wayback machine to work? Or am I wrong in assuming that when you click on the date and year \, that issue is supposed to pop up?

8. It doesn’t get better than reading Green Bar Bill’s first column in the October ’32 issue

9. Way Back in the 50’s I would look forward to my Boy’s Life magazine and I would read it over and over until the next arrived. I feel I learned a great deal about how to interact with people from the articles in Boy’s Life. In the famous words of Bob Hope, “Thanks for the memories”.

10. Is this image supposed to be of John Rueger Explorer Base formerly of Sheepshead Bay, NY?