- Boy Scouts of America introduces game design badge (WSYR-TV)
- Photos from the Game Design merit badge booth at SXSW 2013
Many free and reasonably priced tools meet the needs for merit badge requirements.
Educational software that teaches kids about programming in a 3D environment
An all-inclusive development suite for making 3D games.
YoYo Games (GameMaker Studio)
An all-inclusive development suite for 2D games. You can either create rules with a drag-and-drop interface, or write code in its scripting language, GML.
Adventure Game Studio
An all-inclusive development suite for making 2D adventure games.
An all-inclusive development suite primarily for making 2D RPGs. Includes some graphics sets to get you started.
A starting point for making Flash games that handles a lot of the tricky bits for you, like physics and save games.
Unreal Development Kit
An all-inclusive development suite for making 3D games in the Unreal Engine 3.
RESOURCES IN YOUR COMMUNITY
Your local Scout council, school, computer store or club may be able to provide help.
Use these links to find resources in your area:
- Game Designers Notebook Columns
- History of Video Games
- How to Make a Video Game
- Sloperama Game Design FAQs
- Understanding Games
UNIVERSITIES AND SCHOOLS
- Becker College Interactive Media Design
- DigiPen Institute of Technology
- Guildhall at Southern Methodist University
- Los Angeles Film School Game Production Department
- MIT Game Lab
- New York Film Academy Game Design School in Los Angeles
- Rochester Institute of Technology Interactive Games and Media
- Savannah College of Art and Design Interactive Design and Game Development
- Shawnee State University Digital Simulations and Gaming
- University of New Mexico Advanced Graphics Lab
- University of Utah Entertainment Arts & Engineering
- USC GamePipe Laboratory