How to get a player’s autograph

autograph

It’s not as easy to get an autograph in person as it was when your dad was your age.

Professional athletes today tend to keep their distance, and some will sign autographs only for money. Still, there is a way to get autographs both from current players and from players who have been retired for years: the U.S. mail.

Think you know the rules of baseball? Make the call in our quiz.

Here’s How:

• Go through your sports trading cards and identify a player you would like to ask for an autograph. It’s probably best to start with less well-known players, because they’re less likely to receive as many requests.

• Write a polite, friendly letter asking the player to autograph your card. Remember that athletes, like all celebrities, receive many requests from fans. Writing a thoughtful letter is key.

• If the player is still active, simply mail him your request in care of his team. Addresses for all Major League teams can be found at mlb.com. For retired players, most libraries will have a book or two containing player addresses. Try Jack Smalling’s “The Baseball Autograph Collector’s Handbook,” available in some libraries or at baseballaddresses.com. This book, updated periodically, contains more than 11,000 addresses of players, coaches and umpires.

• Once you have a player’s address, mail the letter and the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and be patient. It can sometimes take months to receive a reply. Good idea: Send only cards of which you have duplicates. Some players won’t respond, and you’ll never see the card again.

• When you do get a signed card back, be sure to send a thank you note.

Laugh your way to the ballpark with these baseball jokes

What Autographs Do You Have?

Tell us which autographs you’ve collected and how you got them in the comments field below.

26 Comments on How to get a player’s autograph

1. Kosher scout // May 5, 2007 at 9:18 pm // Reply

I have (not autographed) 2 Roger clemens cards, both vintage,Cesar Itzuris NL Rawlings golden glove card, Barry Bond, Ivan Rodriguez, Wade Bogs,Jason Bay rookie of 2004,Vernon Wells Al Rawlings golden glove card, And Golden 54 years of collecting Aramis Ramirez Card!!!! P.S. some of them are topps (not THAT rare) and a couple of these are The Franchise,Score and Donrus!

2. i have one of babe ruth!!!

my grand dad got it from him because they were great friends

3. only someone as cool as NIVEK // May 3, 2007 at 7:55 pm // Reply

I have jackie robinson, babe ruth, and lou gehrig

4. 1302Bear // May 3, 2007 at 1:45 pm // Reply

I have collected 25 Hockey Hall of Famers, 25 Football Hall of Famers, and 40 Baseball Hall of Famers. I have met: Johnny Unitas, Magic Johnson, Jaromir Jagr, Gordie Howe, Y.A. Tittle, Larry Doby, Rollie, Fingers, Goose Gossage, Al Kaline, Ralph Kiner, Cal Ripken, Sergei Federov, Lem Barney, Eddie Matthews, Scottie Bowman, Phil Esposito, Tony Esposito, Ted Lindsay, Guy LaFleur,Dale Hawrechuck,Marcel Dionne, Craig Monroe, Placido Polanco, Bob Feller, Ralph Kiner, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Earl Weaver, Bob Gibson, and many more that slip my mind!

5. oh yea?! well i have...... // May 2, 2007 at 10:24 pm // Reply

i have a kobe bryant atograph. it also has the whole laker team on it. yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

6. I got a Jackie Robinson Autograph Card…. I know you’re jealous…

7. ortiz. manny, yaz, ted williams, clemens

8. I have a mickey mantle! $ and a genuine one with calvin

9. I Have a Hank Aaron 1965 topps

10. awessssssssssssssssssommmmmmeeeeeeeeeee!

11. I never though you could

12. yo yo yo // May 1, 2007 at 7:58 pm // Reply

i have nate robinson, bradon inge, justin verlander, vance wilson, jole zumia, placio polonco, craig monroe, chris shelton, jim leland and i really want maglio ordoyez and

PUDGE RODRGUEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. i have a andrew jones autograph.

14. MOD_Man_1 // May 1, 2007 at 3:37 pm // Reply

Hello,

I have a collection of autographs that numbers over 500 signatures. I have baseball players like Barry Bonds, Nolan Ryan, and Cal Ripkin Jr. I also have Football players like Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Walter Payton, and Jimmy Johnson. With over 500 autographs, you can imagine the list is long, here are a few other big names I have, Ginger Rogers (Movie Star), Eric Lindros (Hockey), Doug Bradley (Movie Star), Oliver North (Politics), David Lee Roth (Rock Star), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Voyager), Stan Lee (Comic Book GOD) and the list goes on and on… All of my autographs were obtained in person or in the case of a few sports cards, I pulled them from retail packs. I do encourage everyone to at least try to contact the star that you want an autograph from, you may get lucky and get it… Best of luck…

BTW, I am a proud father of a current Bear Scout!!!

15. Dude1234567890 // May 1, 2007 at 3:01 pm // Reply

I have a card worth 10$ my friend has one worth 15$

16. can it be NASCAR cards?

17. I have a Rick DiPietro, and an Alexi Yashin autographed New York Islanders Jersey.I realy want to get Denis Potvin’s and Billy Smith’s autograph.They don’t play now, but are legends in the Islanders history.

18. i have hahnah montans autograph he he he he

19. Boyslife.org // April 28, 2007 at 8:07 pm // Reply

Sure thing, Mike. You can use these tips with any cards. For current NFL players, write them in care of their teams. Find addresses at http://www.nfl.com

20. spider man // April 28, 2007 at 8:00 pm // Reply

I want two of arods cards

21. Can it be football cards to?

22. Ask Him if you can have his autograph. Then tell him that you are his NUMBER ONE FAN. Then of course tell him you ROCK.

23. I have a sid bream card that is auto graphes

24. The only atograph I want is a Manny Ramirez card, and he is the beast on his team!

25. Blackshadow101 // April 25, 2007 at 4:08 pm // Reply

I have a david eckstien card because he lived next to my grand parents.