How to get a player’s autograph

autograph

It’s not as easy to get an autograph in person as it was when your dad was your age.

Professional athletes today tend to keep their distance, and some will sign autographs only for money. Still, there is a way to get autographs both from current players and from players who have been retired for years: the U.S. mail.

Think you know the rules of baseball? Make the call in our quiz.

Here’s How:

• Go through your sports trading cards and identify a player you would like to ask for an autograph. It’s probably best to start with less well-known players, because they’re less likely to receive as many requests.

• Write a polite, friendly letter asking the player to autograph your card. Remember that athletes, like all celebrities, receive many requests from fans. Writing a thoughtful letter is key.

• If the player is still active, simply mail him your request in care of his team. Addresses for all Major League teams can be found at mlb.com. For retired players, most libraries will have a book or two containing player addresses. Try Jack Smalling’s “The Baseball Autograph Collector’s Handbook,” available in some libraries or at baseballaddresses.com. This book, updated periodically, contains more than 11,000 addresses of players, coaches and umpires.

• Once you have a player’s address, mail the letter and the card with a self-addressed stamped envelope, and be patient. It can sometimes take months to receive a reply. Good idea: Send only cards of which you have duplicates. Some players won’t respond, and you’ll never see the card again.

• When you do get a signed card back, be sure to send a thank you note.

Laugh your way to the ballpark with these baseball jokes

What Autographs Do You Have?

Tell us which autographs you’ve collected and how you got them in the comments field below.

26 Comments on How to get a player’s autograph

1. I want an autograph from Tom Brady

2. none of Ur Buisness // July 23, 2009 at 2:26 pm // Reply

I hgot David wrights because my freinds dad is personal freinds with him

3. mickeymouse // July 20, 2009 at 3:27 pm // Reply

i want my scott sanderson signed

4. mickeymouse // July 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm // Reply

i just finished sorting about 400000 cards by sport with probably 6000000000 to go.i really want my kevin garnett signed.i also want an old babe ruth card to collect.

5. one time i mailed a 8 by 10 to jason terry of the dallas mavs!!! (GO MAVS!!!) and he sent it back signed in like 5 months. i forgot to write a thanks card though😦

6. hockey fan! // June 29, 2009 at 3:27 pm // Reply

I have a mike modona signed card (for the dallas stars),nickals backstorm signed on a stick(for the minnesota wild),mark parissh signed on a stick ( for the minnesota wild),brent burins signed on a puck (for the minnesota wild),josh harding signedon a puck(for the minnesota wild)and mikou kiovu on a stick (for the minnesota wild) PLUSE MORE!!!!!!!!

7. I want one from bary bonds

8. What do you think would happen if you sent a card of their old team would they reply?

9. i love baseball.i wish i got a autoghaph.

10. nathanator // March 25, 2009 at 4:04 pm // Reply

I want a autograph from Adrian Peterson he’s the bomb

11. king james // March 23, 2009 at 6:05 pm // Reply

i want a autograph from lebron james

12. baseball man // March 23, 2009 at 1:43 pm // Reply

i have bj upton

13. I’ve gave Brooke Bennit a high five i did not get a autograph but who care’s :]

14. cool :)

15. beaster456 // March 21, 2009 at 8:11 pm // Reply

i have a skip shumaker from the Cardinals

16. theelsfan09 // March 19, 2009 at 6:32 pm // Reply

I have a sean may autograph

17. I got a basketball signed by lots of the Harlem Globetrotters when my pack went to their game!

18. louisville ky // February 14, 2009 at 7:55 pm // Reply

I have an autographed ball signed by Pee Wee Reese

19. I also have a signed ball of the 2005 NCAA champions

20. I am a huge Carolina basketball fan so I have The entire 2009 mens basketball team’s autographs on a poster. I also have a phil ford signed picture and a Sports Illustrated Signed by Tyler hansbrough

21. I mailed David Carr before this and i got mail from him on a day i was sick and it said thanks for your letter in it was a card with his AUTOGRAPH thanks for posting this tough i did it before like 3-4 years ago

22. the nickster // January 27, 2009 at 8:08 pm // Reply

YO! I AM AWESOME! I GOT MIKEY PILAGANOS AUTOGRAPH!

THANKS!

23. does anyone do autograph requests by mail?

24. I really want some