How to keep spiders as pets

Spiders can make fascinating pets. Here are a few steps to get you started keeping spiders.

Step 1: Catch a spider

Spiders are all around us, indoors and out, so they’re not hard to find. Some species can bite and a few are venomous. Learn about dangerous spiders in your area before heading out. It’s easy to safely catch a spider by using a small jar. Gently coax it into the jar using the lid. Spiders will eat each other, so keep only one per jar.

Step 2: Prepare a cage

Large spiders do well in the inexpensive plastic terrariums available from pet stores. Smaller ones can be kept in jars or plastic containers if air holes are drilled into the lid or sides. Be sure the holes are small enough to prevent escape.

Potting soil makes good cover for the cage bottom. Sticks, dead leaves or artificial plants provide structure for hiding, climbing and webbing.

Step 3: Water

Depending on the size of the spider, anything from a plastic bottle cap to a small bowl can serve as a water dish. Spiders also drink water sprayed on webbing, but you should never allow the cage to become damp.

Step 4: Feeding

Offer insect prey once or twice a week. Crickets are available from pet shops, or you can collect insects outdoors if no insecticides have been sprayed in the area.

Step 5: Observing

Watch your spider and take notes on its behavior. You won’t believe what happens in the spider’s web until you’ve visited it yourself!

Not all spiders do well in captivity. Active hunters are usually easier to keep than web builders. Here are a few that make good pets.

Tarantulas: Some species exceed 10 inches in legspan. They’re by far the most popular pet spiders and can be bought in pet stores.

Wolf Spiders: Some can be more than three inches in legspan. Large specimens do best in terrariums with lots of floor space.

Jumping Spiders: Although small and rarely exceeding half an inch, their jumping ability is amazing. Many species are brightly colored and can easily be kept in jars.

Fishing Spiders: In captivity, these large spiders appreciate vertically arranged pieces of bark for climbing. They’re very fast, so use caution when capturing them.

Grass Spiders: These spiders build funnel-shaped webs in grass, bushes and on buildings. In captivity, they will build extensive webs inside their cage.

LEARN MORE: Click here to see photos of a spider expert’s seven favorite spiders

25 Comments on How to keep spiders as pets

1. By the way, my wolf spider is very large (legspan is about 3 – 3.5 inches in diameter, body is maybe about 1.5 inches long)and from Michigan. Thanks again!

2. eli (SHARP SHOOTER) // October 30, 2009 at 2:48 pm // Reply

3. me myself and I // October 29, 2009 at 4:11 pm // Reply

I found a cool spider not sure if its male or female. But I think its a wolf spider.

4. when do I let it go?

5. hey if a spyder iz starvin wuld it eat itzelf?

6. spider fighter // October 7, 2009 at 8:31 pm // Reply

i caught like 15 just 3 hours ago and i put soil some stick in some plastic cups for now my dad said hell let them all go if i mess with them any more so tomorrow ill feed them if there are still alive they are in a cooler all next to each other i wonder if they will survive

7. spiderfreak // October 5, 2009 at 4:59 pm // Reply

well girly girl you probably wont have to feed it for a few more days LithiumHearted it wont escape as long as you keep the lid on and when you make sure when you feed it its at the bottom eightlegs all it needs is some leaves for web and when its done making its web then give it small bugs like crickets framirez just crack the lid open a little bit and pop the bug in any more questions just ask sorry if my other replys werent sooner

8. Hi, i have 2 golden orb weavers that are both pregnant and i just moved 1 to a cage and working on one for the other. I was just wondering how many eggs they will have because their abdomens are huge.

9. my spider already made a web but the web is on the lid how am I going to put all the things in without her escaping?

10. look! what happend my spider killed his 100 babies his crazy!

11. i just caught a wolf spider i put it in a jar with sticks and leaves after 2days it gave birth of 200eggs

12. I really don’t like spiders that much, but I may try this. I have a lot of spiders around my back yard.

13. just caught wat i think is a grass spider i live in south dakota so its eather that or a hobo spider an it looks alot more like a grass spider so wondering what i need to keep it alive

14. LithiumHearted // August 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm // Reply

I just caught a wolf spider off of the top of my garage door and i have it in a glass pickle jar with leaves, dirt, and a bottle cap of water. would it be possible for him to escape? my mom won’t stop bugging me about it.

15. hey spider freak um how long before i have to feed my spidar again if i feed him this morning

16. Just caught a spider while painting the house (Scared the living daylights out of me)not sure what it is yet but he ate the grasshopper in less than 5 minutes that i got him just dont hold him an shake the jar if he is hiding he will come out on his own. Like grasshoppers for sure and just try local bugs around your house because thats probaly what they have been eating this whole time. good luck❤

17. i got a monkey spider!

18. spiderfreak // August 17, 2009 at 8:55 pm // Reply

to tanner: well if your wolf spider isn’t eating then it might not be hungry but if its abdomen is small then it just isn’t eating probably because it is scared what i suggest you do is let it go and try to find a new one. to pookie: i think u shouldn’t worry because jumping spiders arent like wolf spiders where the baby wolf spiders climb onto the mothers back jumping spiders can just be kept and when they hatch its fine u dont have to feed them yet, when the start to become cannibals then give them pinheads and fruit flys if any one has anymore questions i can help u with them

19. cool

20. I have a wolf spider he’s not eating what should i do?

21. I have a bold jumping spider brood of about 75 babies that are about to emerge from the cocoon. I haven’t seen the mom though in over a week. How can I feed the little ones?

22. spiderfreak // July 15, 2009 at 12:40 pm // Reply

hi everyone i love spiders,all of them. i keep at different sorts of spiders and know how to care for them. i even know how to catch the ” fast” ones(word from other people) i currently have 6 wolf spiders 1 steadora 1 green lynx 3 golden orb weavers 1 HUGE crab spider and 1 HUGE funnel web (grass spider) i even have a chilean rose hair tarantula i could probably answer your questions because im a spiderfreak and ALOT of people think im crazy

23. Archeopteryx // June 26, 2009 at 6:42 am // Reply

I like spiders, lizards and snakes, but my relatives are all creeped out by them.
    One time a Californian King snake (harmless) got into our garage, my dad chased it away with a shovel.
    As for spiders, I’ve actually seen a jumping spider when I lived in Oregon😀

24. I keep jumpers. I had two females that laid eggs. Now they’re hatched and a pain to feed.

25. I THINK i found a yellow sack spider in my household, i found it on a leather sofa, i caught it with a small fish net thing😛 its fairly intresting, i just got it so i dont really know much about it