When the race is over, enter the winner’s circle by building this display for your pinewood derby or model car.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Tape measure
- Lumpy rock
- Wood screws
- Narrow chisel
- Utility Knife (Optional)
- Wood glue
- 3/4″ x 10″ x 10 1/2″ board
- 3/4″ x 3 1/2″ x 10 1/2″ board
- 12″ x 12″ cork board
- 1/2″ x 2″ x 9″ wood strip (optional)
- 1/2″ x 1″ x 9″ wood strip (optional)
- Some black paint and white paint
- Paint brush
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. With the help of an adult, cut out the two boards and whack the small board with a rock. This will make the board rough like asphalt.
2. Chisel out four shallow depressions for the car’s wheels to sit in.
3. Glue and screw the two boards together using the three screws. Paint the whole thing black, or any color you like.
4. Use scissors to carefully cut the cork board into 1 1/2″ squares. Or, with an adult’s help, you can cut the cork with a utility knife.
5. Paint half the corkboard squares black and the other half white.
6. Glue the cork squares to the back of the display.
7. You can place or pin whatever you want on the completed stand. Display it on a flat surface or hang it on the wall.
HOW TO MAKE WALL MOUNTING BRACKETS FOR YOUR DISPLAY
You can use this trick to securely mount almost any heavy, flat object to a wall.
Cut the 1/2″ x 2″ x 9″ wood strip lengthwise at a 45-degree angle. Mount one piece about 1″ below the top of the back of the display and the other to the wall as shown. Attach the 1/2″ x 1″ x 9″ wood strip about 1″ from the bottom of the back of the display. The display will then slide firmly onto the wall.