Fix slow skateboard wheels

skatewheel

Q. The wheels on my skateboard aren’t spinning well anymore. Is there anything I can do to fix them or do I have to buy new wheels?
Slow Joe, Tampa, Fla.

A. We feel your pain, Slow. We have the same problem, so we asked our friend Andy Macdonald, eight-time world champion skateboarder, for the lowdown on your slow down:

“New wheels are not going to help in the least if your wheels aren’t spinning. Chances are you just have to clean and lubricate your bearings. Remove your wheel and pop out the bearings with the edge of your axle. Bones Bearings pretty much set the standard in the skateboarding world as far as bearings go. They recommend picking up a Bones Bearings Cleaner Unit at your local skate shop ($15), but a clean plastic yogurt cup and a few cotton swabs will work, too.

“You’ll need to remove the bearing shields if your bearings have them. Just poke them out with a paper clip. Then soak your bearings in acetone, nail-polish remover or rubbing alcohol. Spin them dry and make sure all the dust and dirt are out. Now you’ve removed all the dirt as well as all the lubricant from your bearings. It’s important to use a silicone-based lubricant. WD40 or others like it will dry out your bearings and attract dust and dirt. You can pick up a bottle of Bones Speed Cream at the skate shop, or try some Prolong from the auto parts store. It doesn’t take much, and the excess will just spin out when you replace your shields, pop your bearings back in your wheels and start shredding. Skate safe and enjoy your new-found speed.”

Ask the Gear Guy

Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Click here to send in your questions for the Gear Guy. Selected questions will be answered here and in the printed magazine.

42 Comments on Fix slow skateboard wheels

1. This helped a lot with my slow board thanks!🙂

2. dude skate boreding is awsome

3. Does it matter which way I put back my bearings into the wheels? Or I can just put them whatever way?

4. can you help me // July 27, 2013 at 9:27 am // Reply

i have had my Bord for like 2 years and my bearings are abec 1 but the worked good then i started using goo gone to lube up and now they slow down????

5. Don’t use wd-40 guys its a waterbase substance.

6. I’ve got all my wheels off my skate board except for one, and I can’t get it off, how can I get the wheel off? I’ve been using sunflower oils, Cyder vinigar and nail polish remover, nothing seems to be making it budge, what should I do?

7. Wd40 is the worst lubricant for bearings, and silicone based sprays lose their lubrication properties very quickly. It is best you use liquid wrench to clean them properly and use something like tri flow to keep them spinning.

8. Thanks for the help my board works know

9. I have a cheap walmart board and my wheels stopped so i just sprayed wd40 on them. It works like a champ know.

10. get a longboard and play final fintasy >.>

11. i dont know if my wheels arereal or fake their rubber

12. How can i fix my skatewheel

13. Swagermix571 // May 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm // Reply

Bone swiss ceramic bearings

14. ither you have a crappy wallmarnt sate bord or you need new berings

15. just put some wd_40 that works to

16. i bought a new blind board for 105$ and the wheels are really slow do i buy new ones or what?

• 80_TonyHawk_80 // April 4, 2011 at 7:17 pm // Reply

Maybe you should just buy a new skateboard dude. I mean if tings aren’t working right with me i mean if i buy some new bearings or something and it doesn’t work, i would just buy a new one man.

• RiseWithTheFallen // July 9, 2011 at 6:41 am // Reply

just replace the bearings if you need faster bearings i recommend bones reds

• cant skate // July 27, 2013 at 9:23 am // Reply

you dont need new wheels its the bearings them self if you have some money hanging around you can get new ones or you can use liquid wrench

17. Do I Buy a new board?:)

18. protegy sk8ter // September 18, 2009 at 12:54 pm // Reply

how do i fix my board i have all my bearings but im missing the thing thats in the bearing its the thin round thing that holds the wheel

19. skatepotato // July 29, 2009 at 7:46 am // Reply

i recommend bones swiss bearings they set the standard the are fast u dont even have toclean them and alll the pros use bones swiis so get bones!!!

20. just get some abec 1 bearings, their cheap and work great if you clean them out

21. Sk8freek21 // July 6, 2009 at 11:24 pm // Reply

Apec7 yellow jackets are awesome they are like butter

• skatergirl13 // October 5, 2013 at 6:02 am // Reply

i started skating about 2 months ago, I bought a cheap board (tony hawk huckjam series) and I want to get new bearings which is the best to start on? (abec 1, 2, 3, etc)

22. Sk8freek21 // July 6, 2009 at 11:21 pm // Reply

Yea just place it in acetone for 5-10mins then just put some wd40 on it and it’ll work fine. I just did that with mine and it works like a charm. I polish my board bottom every time after use and clean the outside of the wheel everytime after use. There’s a saying,” take care of your board ad it’ll take care of you”

• dont use wd 40 it attracts more dirt use a silicon based lubricant thats why they have skateboard specific bearing lube.

• 80_TonyHawk_80 // April 4, 2011 at 7:25 pm //

Yeah I’d say that too man. Use some silicon based lubricants for that type of situation man.

• JackTheGiantSlayer // November 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm // Reply

Why would you polish your skateboard and clean your wheels? That’s just weird..

23. Anonymous // July 4, 2009 at 5:21 pm // Reply

good

24. I just stuck brand new wheels and bearings on my board and all but one of them have a decent spin. I have no idea why only 1 of the wheels goes slow! Any ideas?

25. Oil will make it worse if they get some dust from ground, they become slow and noisy