Good knife for an 8-year-old

Q. I want to buy a pocketknife for my 8-year-old nephew. He has just started a pocketknife collection and has about 8 knives. Can you recommend a good knife for a boy that age?
— Aunt Debra, Houston, Texas

A. You must be a cool aunt to be buying your nephew a knife! Will you be my auntie too? OK, seriously, good knives for an 8-year-old? Here are two that I think he’d be sure to dig:

BSA Official Cub Scouts Pocket Knife ($19.99; You just can’t go wrong with the official Cub Scouts pocketknife! It’s got a stainless steel 2¼”-long blade with a flat head screwdriver, cap lifter and punch blade folded inside.

Gerber Mini Paraframe ($16.26; This folding knife has an open stainless steel handle, which makes it both lightweight (just 1.4 ounces) and cool-looking! The 2.22”-long locking blade is high carbon stainless steel with a fine edge and it comes with a handy pocket clip too.

Ask the Gear Guy

Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Click here to send in your questions for the Gear Guy. Selected questions will be answered here and in the printed magazine.

35 Comments on Good knife for an 8-year-old

1. No.1 tip: DONT GET HIM A KNIFE!

2. I think that you should go with a small single blade knife.I dont know why you would buy a knife before the get a totem ship.but if you do buy one once he is done with it keep it until you see them mature enough to be trusted with a knife.

3. I recommend it

4. i reccemend geting a fixed blade colminers survival knifeor a gerber or the old fashionway get him a bsa knife

5. golden knife // March 8, 2013 at 8:21 pm // Reply

i got my first knife wen i was 7 it was a razer blade but i am 9 now i have 50 knifevs.i do not recommend it.but i do recommend the rite edge.

• Hi I am 13 and have about 10 knives and got (or rather found) my first when I was 10. It really depends on how responsible he is with one and what he`ll use it for. I`d reccommend going to ebay and looking at some case knives or multi tools, nothing big like a survival knife. You can also go to Dvor for some great knives.

6. i am a boy scout and i had a wittling chip for three years in cubs and my best knife was juinor scout by case.

7. Awesome Spyker // March 3, 2013 at 12:37 pm // Reply

I think its slly to give a pocketknife to a Kid that Young .

• Why is it ‘silly’?
      If he’s taught about knife safety ; he learns about responsibiity and tools etc.

• Karate Kid // March 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm // Reply

I got my first knife at 7.I’m 14 now and have 3 knifes. (I’m not a collector).

• Requirement 19 for Bear scouts is all about knife safety and using it. Bear scouts are 8 years old. Please don’t tell me you’re one of those “we gotta change this program” people, Scheesh, you probably did it yourself, I did. You have to let the boys develop.

• Eagle Scout // March 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm // Reply

> I think its slly to give a pocketknife to a Kid that Young

An 8 year old Cub will soon be learning knife safety in his Bear den. 8 is an appropriate age for that skill. He should be learning kitchen skills by 8 years old. He needs to learn to handle all knives safely.

• Delta Force // May 23, 2013 at 12:50 pm // Reply

Boys must learn to be responsible with tools and weapons. They will learn and they will grow, there is nothing silly about that.

8. blaizeonfire // February 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm // Reply

i got a bear grylls scout drop knife from gerber and it rocks

9. moraclassicscout // February 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm // Reply

victorinox are one of the best folding blade designs out there, a locking blade around three inches long is good and safe, try the victorinox sentinel:)

10. lock blades are awesome if I had one i would go crazy but in scouts I’ve got a whitling chip so i’ll handle one safely and i am 8 and have a dangerouser knife so this one would be better

11. I have read these comments and agree with those that suggest a lock blade. I also agree that you should buy a quality knife. Safety should be a primary concern when buying any type of tool. Cheap should NOT be a consideration, if the boy loses any tool, especially one this important, perhaps he shouldn’t have one. This doesn’t mean to buy the most expensive top end either. The paraframe is a good starter that can stay in his pocket and remain useful for many years.

12. i would buy a small lock knife

13. No matter what knife you choose, please make it a lock blade. Young boys shouldn’t need to worry about “Finger closure,”

14. swiss army huntsman knife is the BEST!

15. I think that the Swiss army knives are very safe and functional for a 8 year old kid!!!

I hope he likes which ever knife he gets.

16. i think you should get him a BSAsmall lock-back knife

17. I have a Gerber mini paraframe.IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!(I got my first knife at age 10,but if the kid is responsible,age 8 is fine.

18. Smokie Mountain Knife Works has a huge selection, if your looking for a certain knife you will probably be able to find it there. I recommend locking blade, and American or Swiss made. I don’t recommend China or Pakistan made or frost cutlery. Knives are like anything else, you get what you pay for. And quality goes hand in hand with safety.

19. My first knife was a swiss army huntsman. I would reccomend it!

20. since the BSA supply division can’t seem to buy from any number of american made knife companies i wouldn’t recommend any of the chinese scout knives. instead choose “scout like” knives from Bear & Son, Case, or remington

21. I’ve ordered the official Cub Scout knife for my young Scout (7 years old). Obviously, teaching him safety is paramount. I do think it’s a pity that none of the Scouting knives are made in the USA. I recall there being one special issue not too long ago that was, but it’d be nice if the Scouts made a good line of quality American-made scouting knives.

22. I think it is very cool that this pocket knife is able to be used by an eight year old

23. coolman360 // June 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm // Reply

I have a mini paraframe

24. Old thread, but for those who are searching for a good knife, I got an Opinel #7 carbon steel knife for about $11 with shipping. The also make a stainless steel version too. Light weight, has a easy to use twist locking mechanism, and really beautiful knife. My 8 y.o. will be getting his shortly.

• Knife Xpert 157 (aka Chad 101) // August 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm // Reply

That knife is horrible quality. I would take a Gerber, Buck, S.O.G. or CRKT.

• The opinel N.O.8 knife has a thin blade it not of pour quality it is just less sturdy it is great for less demanding jobs like food prep.