Should I buy a Gerber or Swiss Army knife?

Q. Hey Gear Guy, I’m debating on whether to buy a Gerber pocketknife or a Swiss Army knife. My friend says Gerber; but I’ve heard Swiss Army my whole life. Which one should I buy?
– Sharp Jake, Mapleton, Utah

A. The answer is: You’re both right. Swiss Army pocketknives are legendary for their quality and usefulness. There are two companies that manufacture Swiss Army knives, Wenger and Victorinox — both make excellent knives. As for Gerber, they are a great knife manufacturer, too. Gerber has been manufacturing knives for the past 70 years, and makes a wide range of knives from standard folders and sheath knives to multitool-type knives like the Gerber Fit ($41; gerbergear.com). Similar to a Swiss Army knife, it’s packed with useful tools, 10 in all, including a fine-edge and serrated knife blade, scissors, tweezers, a few screwdrivers, and a super bright LED flashlight.

Ask the Gear Guy

Not sure which gear to buy? Need tips for maintaining your equipment? Click here to send in your questions for the Gear Guy. Selected questions will be answered here and in the printed magazine.

34 Comments on Should I buy a Gerber or Swiss Army knife?

1. Swiss Army. They come with extra tools too that can be very useful.

2. swiss army. theyr’e genuine with some helpful tools.

3. Go for a Leatherman. Buy the best that you can get and you’ll have it for life. If you buy something inferior you will end up spending more money in the long run replacing it. Besides, Swiss Army knives are less safe as they don’t lock. If you ever had a knife fold on your fingers you wouldn’t use a non-locking knife again.

• SwissArmy Fan // March 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm // Reply

Except in the UK Eric, where locking tools with a blade of any size are illegal and possession carries a potential jail sentence!

• Knife Xpert 157 (aka Chad 101) // April 17, 2013 at 2:18 pm //

That is because the United Kingdom of Great Britain gives little or no freedom to bear arms. It is silly that you are not allowed to carry a locking knife.

• I agree i have the Ieatherman Wingman cuz the wave was way too much money definetly recommend a leatherman

4. Victorinox Hunter + Mora for me

5. a swiss arymy knife

6. swiss

7. blind duchess // September 4, 2012 at 4:36 pm // Reply

I would go for the ka-bar (marine combat knife)

8. I have a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife with a magnifying glass. I’m saving up for a Leatherman but I don’t think any of them have a magnifying glass.

9. swiss army

10. gamemaster24 // June 5, 2012 at 11:33 am // Reply

You should buy a Smith and Wesson knife. They are really good quatlity and they lock.

11. i personly dont like gerber but the spyderco tenaicious $30 (amazon) & the victorinox swisstool any model $80 – $120 (amazon) you can also get the swiss tool with BSA logo on it too

12. neither, look at geting a case. they are made in the Usa and have been in buisness sinse 1883

• Knife Xpert 157 (aka Chad 101) // June 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm // Reply

CASE makes good old-fashioned folding knifes but I would take Swiss army or Gerber over case. Case is GREAT for classic stag handled knives but they dont have the best

13. The master of pocket knife decisions // May 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm // Reply

I have a gerber that i use for camping. but if you’re going for multi tool, go for swiss army. my simple gerber takes care of all my needs and its lightweight, but its up to you.

14. _________________ // May 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm // Reply

I personally think you should get a Swiss army knife. The reason is I have 3

15. Gerber does make some product in the US. You just have to keep an eye out.

16. Delta Force // May 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm // Reply

Swiss Army. But remember there are a lot of good knives out there; better than both you asked about. Buck, PECK, Schrade, Columbia River, Kershaw, Damascus, Cabelas …
    Be a leader; choose for yourself rather than following others on this. Who knows, they might change because of you. :^0

17. duke of nothingham // May 8, 2012 at 11:27 am // Reply

buy A small gerber sheath knife it is what I carry and is much more useful (and safer) than any folding knife.

18. Bear Grylls BSA President // May 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm // Reply

Swiss Army is the way to go mate.

19. hscout14 // May 5, 2012 at 6:03 am // Reply

I personally prefer a good leatherman multitool. They all have locking tools and you can send it back if it ever breaks and they’ll replace it no matter what. They have supergood quality but are a litte expensive.

20. I use both : swiss army for multiple uses and locking knives for cutting carving etc

21. Girl Leader // April 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm // Reply

i really don`t care about that , but your question made me want to know about them .. i`ll chose Gerber .. i don`t know why but i think i like it ..:)

22. The Scouter // April 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm // Reply

I have a Gerber knife and when I went camping the locking blade made it easy to use. Also, mine came with a serated blade AND a fine blade. I highly recommed it.

23. I personally prefer Gerber because they are lock blades, but it is better to look at both and decide which one suits your needs better.

24. I find a small Swiss army knife good for hiking when weight matters thay tend to be lighter than a multitool but for camping and general wilderness use I carry a nice folder or fixed blade. That all have there uses like any tool.

25. Off-trail monkey // April 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm // Reply

Be a leader; choose for yourself rather than following others on this. Who knows, they might change because of you. :^)

1 2 3