Guy Gear

Helmet buying guide

Helmet Buying Guide

Gary Young was never much of a helmet guy. That all changed.

As a top freestyle BMX (bicycle motocross) pro, Young was grinding a handrail for a video when something went wrong.

His tire slid out and Young went over the handlebars, landing on his head and fracturing his skull in three places. He spent the next week in the hospital (including two days in intensive care), but luckily he recovered fully.

Now, Young is a full-on helmet believer, and he’s here to fill you in on the brain bucket buying basics.

The lowdown of buying a helmet

Certification: Buy only a helmet that is certified for the activity you’ll be using it for.

All bicycle helmets are required by law to meet the certification standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Skateboarding helmets aren’t required to be certified, but you should still insist on buying one that meets ASTM standard F 1492. Some helmets are dual-certified, meaning they are designed to protect you from a fall from a bicycle as well as multiple impacts dished out while skateboarding or inline skating.

“Just check for the sticker inside the helmet with the certification on it, and get one that looks cool and works for what you’re going to use it for,” Young says.

What to look for: Take a look at the helmet’s design. The safest helmets are those that are rounded without any snag points sticking out that could hurt you during a fall.

Vents are good for keeping your head cool, but more vents equal less foam and, possibly, less protection. So pick a helmet with no more vents than you think you’ll need.

Finally, if you’ll be cycling or skating around traffic, choose a brightly colored helmet so you’ll be easier for drivers to see.

The Proper Fit: “You should just have a snug fit,” Young recommends, “but not so tight that it’s crushing your skull.”

Some helmets come with removable foam inserts to customize a snug fit. With the helmet level on your head, use your fingers to measure the space between your eyebrows and the helmet.

“You shouldn’t have any more than two fingers of space above your eyebrows, and you don’t want it flopping down over your eyes either,” Young says.

Strap is key: Always buckle your helmet.

“It only takes a second to strap it on. And if you fall and it’s not strapped, the helmet isn’t going to stay on,” Young says. “Plus, you’re not looking any cooler wearing it without the strap.”

How much it’ll cost: These days, some high-end helmets can cost up to $200, but don’t worry: you can get a safe cool-looking one for much less.

Try before you buy: Whether you go to a bike or skate shop or a big superstore, it’s important that you try on a bunch of different helmets to find the one that fits your head best. Salespeople in small specialty shops can help you find the optimum fit; in big stores you’re usually on your own.

Either way, don’tjust pick one that looks cool, Young says. “If you’re going to wear a helmet, you might as well have the safest one.”

Video: Fitting a bicycle helmet

Related: How to buy the perfect bike

Learn more

Visit the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute’s Web site at Helmets.org to find out everything there is to know about helmet safety.

Comments about “Helmet buying guide”

1. IdahoDHBiker says:

I swear by my helmet now, it has saved my life over two times and I have shattered it once. I have gnarly scars on my arm from a Downhill Mtn Bike crash, but my helmet saved my face/head from much much worse damage. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!

2. Sly Fox says:

Try this rule; I live by it and suggest it to many a scout.
    Buy a good helmet, and with what ever is left, buy your bike.
    That way you’re always set to go.

3. superish biker says:

Sadly, a lot of bike helmets are to expensive for parents that are cheap.

4. lizardman says:

I have been hit and run by a buzzed driver, run off the road, crashed into a concrete trash can at about 12 mph and struck a car that illegally cut in front of me at 40 mph on my motorcycle. I walked away from those accidents because of my helmets. I am writing this because of my helmets. Always get a helmet that is designed for the activity. Contrary to “get up and go” all helmets are not the same. Bell and Gyro are good helmets for cycling and they also have a crash replacement warranty. The bike shop or the company can give details. “Live to Ride. Ride to Live”.

• Knife Xpert 157 (aka Chad 101) says:

Thats why you shouldnt rid motorcycles! My motto is “Jesus Died For You. Now You Live For Him”

5. GEAR MAN says:

When I got mountaineering, I just use my ski helmet. It’s pretty much the same thing, plus I can keep my ears warm and listen to my mp3 while climbing.

6. coolman360 says:

AWESOME.

7. MJ says:

Giro helmets are one of the best helmets, you can wear one without looking stupid :)

8. sam2000 says:

i use a bell 1 and it is fine even thougt it is olny about $10

9. get up and go says:

Well, I say unless your intending to fly of your bike, headlong over a cliff, save your money.
    Pretty much all helmets serve for the same cause, and do it the same way.
    Some of them are bigger, some of them are more aerodynamic, some of them are plastic, some of them styrofoam, etc. etc. etc. But like I say, their all pretty much the same thing.

10. GEAR MAN says:

If you go caving like I do, a bike helmet works well. Just duct-tape a headlamp to it, and tah-dah!!!

But a helmet made for stuff like that is recommended, if you can find a store that has that stuff.

11. Anonymous says:

as a dirtbiker, pocket rocket rider,and seadoo driver (yes helmets are good on seadoos.) i prefer a bell motorcycle helmet :) bell is extremely reliable brand of helmets. i like the helmets with the mesh in the mouthpiece area to keep the the bugs out XD.p.s dont buy a brand youve never heard of do a little reasearch and find out the features dont buy helmets with foreigen substances because u might be allegic to the material bye pplz :)

12. Helmet Biker357 says:

Some areas of the country don’t require bikers to wear helmets; however, if you ever rode a bike on a macadem bike path and accidently fell off of your bike, you would have always wished to have the bicycle safety equipment for bike riding. Asphalt and Cement bicycle paths are gentle when a bicyclist falls on the bike path. Macadem bicycle paths really scrape a person quite badly which may require in-depth first aid by another bicyclist who comes upon a downed bicyclist. This is a great article regarding bicyclist safety helmets.

13. Jupiter says:

I REALLY need a helmet and this helps on what kind to get.

14. bigfoot 2 says:

Nice guide. I hate it when people don’t wear helmets. I’ve seen people fall off their bike and end up going to the hospital because they wanted to look cool and not wear a helmet.

15. bike guy says:

help find a helment for bmx riding. i went with the pro-tec b2 40 bucks.

16. mtber says:

just want to say sixsixone mullent helment is very nice for about $30 bucks.

17. pie says:

cool ive been looking for one

18. hy says:

interesting!

Write a comment about “Helmet buying guide”

Nickname: