Hear from Zachary Gordon, the real-life Wimpy Kid

Zachary Gordon steps onto the big screen this month as Greg Heffley, the not-so-tough main character in “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” based on the best-selling books by Jeff Kinney. An unabashed fan of the Wimpy Kid books, Zachary considers Greg his dream role. That doesn’t mean working on the film was easy.

Boys’ Life caught up with Zachary last September on the Wimpy Kid set in Vancouver, B.C. See Zachary’s own diary (illustrated Wimpy Kid-style by Jeff Kinney) in the April 2010 issue of BL, and listen to exclusive excerpts by clicking on the audio players below.

Zachary on auditioning to play Greg Heffley:

Zachary on his first day on set:

Zachary on the challenges of acting:

Zachary on staying focused while acting:

Zachary on hanging out with friends:

Zachary on his future plans:

30 Comments on Hear from Zachary Gordon, the real-life Wimpy Kid

1. Hey Zach, Great job in the movie! I like the Halloween scene. Do you actually hang out with the guy who plays Rowley? I’d love to get your autograph too!

2. Laserguy5000 // August 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm // Reply

I’m going to an acting audition soon. Do you have any tips? If so thanks and I might see you on the computer.

3. Hey Zachary Ive Always Wanted To Be In The Movie And Meet You Hopefully I Can Be In The 3rd One If The 2nd One Is A Sucess

4. Zach i am your #1 Fan. Can i meet you?

5. you’r awsome

6. ZACHARY GORDON IS AWSOME JADE

7. I loved your movie too. The fire hose making people thinking you were peeing on Rodrick(Devon)? Hilarious! XD YOU ROCK!

8. Hey Zachary! Your awesome! It’s weird because I’ve never talked to anyone famous. Me and my mom think your ADORABLE. I’m like your biggest fan! Can I get your autograph? You rock! I’m 8 yrs. old and I’m a girl. I have all the books and I saw the movie! I wish I could meet you! Bye,hope you reply!

9. moviedude // July 9, 2010 at 8:25 am // Reply

you are AWESOME!!!!!!!

10. moviedude // July 9, 2010 at 8:18 am // Reply

Zach I have all the diary of a wimpy kid books are you still into acting?

11. Boys Rule // July 5, 2010 at 2:00 pm // Reply

Zach… In the movie diary, it says to not mention the mashed potatoes to you if we ran into you. Were they gross? Because I LOVE mashed potatoes!!

12. hey zach you are awesome in diary of a wimpy kid ive read all of them 10 times (P.S can i have your autograph)

13. Awsome

14. themeparkguy // June 18, 2010 at 7:20 pm // Reply

Zach,YOU ARE SO SO AAWWSSOOMMEE! Ireally like the books. Can I get your autograph?

15. Scout guy // June 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm // Reply

fregley is gross :-(

16. Scout guy // June 3, 2010 at 2:25 pm // Reply

greg is awesome :-)

17. Scout guy // June 3, 2010 at 2:24 pm // Reply

greg u rok im like yer #1 fan!!!!!

18. Scout guy // June 3, 2010 at 2:23 pm // Reply

plot man i LOVE national treasure:book of secrets its cool

19. Fist Greg heffly was just a book Character now he is real :)

20. Greg i am your #1 fan. I would want to meet you some day ps: can I meet you?

21. cool

22. nightblaster // April 21, 2010 at 7:13 pm // Reply

Zach you rock.I started reading the books when my friends started looking at them.I loved them!I have read all of them and I saw the movie.You are the best actor of all time.I have been wanting to meet you ever since I saw you on telivison.I am so exsited to have contact with you and you are my hero.(P.S can I have your autogragh).

23. How many days did it take to finish acting? What role did you play in “National Treasure: Book of secrets”? I’ve never seen that movie.

24. I would love to have an autograph.Did you read the book “Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie Diary”? I did . That’s why I know all this stuff.Do you get why the last shot was the opening monologue?

25. Awesome movie,kid.Your about as tall as me and I’m in fourth grade.
    I’m so jealous. I like basketball too.How does it feel after having a fire hose for rain and paper for snow? Anyway,you live in Hollywood, right? I live in Chicago. Have you been to the AFV studio?You rock!

1 2 3 4 5 6