Watch the SheiKra and Kumba roller coasters in action

As vice president of design & engineering at Busch Gardens in Tampa, Fla., Mark Rose has a job many people only dream about. This Eagle Scout helps design the rides and attractions at the world-famous theme park and zoo and its neighboring water park, Adventure Island.

His right-hand man, mechanical engineer and Eagle Scout Jeff Hornick, says they “get to think about what would people really enjoy, what would they like, what would knock their socks off or what would be a great experience for them.”

In designing each ride or attraction, a lot of what Rose and Hornick do is solve problems, just one of the many job skills they say that they learned in Scouting.

Check out two of the Busch Gardens coasters in action in the videos below, then find out more about the job of roller-coaster engineer in the July 2012 issue of Boys’ Life magazine.

35 Comments on Watch the SheiKra and Kumba roller coasters in action

1. These are nothing. If you want to see something go to Cedar Point.

2. 4 words from me,butterflys in my stomach

3. wow i think i would feel a little sick afterwords.

4. SheiKra is teh best!!!!

5. coooool

6. 1 word cool

7. Fantasy Writer // August 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm // Reply

Looks awesome, I just wish I lived in Florida instead of California. The thing I like about California is Disneyland

8. Nintendo man // August 10, 2012 at 8:48 am // Reply

1 word, wow

9. Harry Potter Fan #1 // August 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm // Reply

I meant on my last comment now instead of know.

10. Harry Potter Fan #1 // August 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm // Reply

I know really want to go there.

11. I cant see the video…; what is wrong?

12. Kumba is too painful and SheiKra has an EPIC drop so SheiKra is my favorite :D

13. indyfreac // July 6, 2012 at 7:15 am // Reply

it looked ok but the videos weren’t filmed inside the seats of the roller coaster so it didn’t give you the experience of the roller coaster kumba was better

14. looks fun but scary

15. WWWWWOOOOWWWW.

16. So Awesome!!!!!!

17. I like kumba but sheiKra is better

18. king dedede // June 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm // Reply

Because of the kind of lens used at the last part of the Sheikra vid, it reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy, in which all the planets are really tiny spheres, so the vid makes it look like the coaster spreads throughout the entire planet.

• what about mario luigi and kirby(got it from your name).

• king dedede // August 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm //

Oh, I just use that name cuz I used to be really good with him on Brawl. But I haven’t played it in a while, so it’s kinda out-of-date. :(

19. Snoopy Butterfly // June 21, 2012 at 3:16 pm // Reply

So cool!!!!!

20. Awesome! I really want to go to Busch Gardens now to try out these.

21. this is the best roller coaster

22. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh okay

23. rcoasterdude // June 16, 2012 at 4:19 pm // Reply

I love roller coasters and I actually want to be a roller coaster engineer when I grow up. SheiKra and Kumba were some cool coasters. SheiKra reminded me a lot like griffon.

24. i love kumba!!!