As a Scout, your troop or crew may be presented with the opportunity to plan some big events, like camporees or outings. Hosting an outdoor event takes teamwork, creativity and lots of hard work. But the reward is worth it.
If you are tasked with planning a Scouting event, we’ve got your back. Follow the tips below to make the event go as smoothly as possible.
How to Plan an Awesome Scouting Event
1. Start early. The earlier you get started planning, the less stress you’ll face the day of your event. Plus, if you have most of the planning done ahead of time, you’ll have more time to enjoy the event for yourself – more on that in a minute.
2. Be creative. Think outside the “Scout skills” box. Brainstorm themes from movies to video games. Then, consider taking a poll to see which theme is a hit with your hopeful attendees.
3. Work hard. Scout events don’t plan themselves. We can’t promise you this will be easy. But with proper preparation and a ton of planning, you’re sure have a blast at your event. Just remember, you get out of it what you put into it.
4. Don’t panic. Things are going to go wrong, but that doesn’t have to stop the fun. Expect and prepare for it. Consider making back-up plans for rain or if fewer attendees show up than you expect. Stay calm and work as a team to find solutions.
5. Enjoy yourself. Once all of the planning and preparation is done, take some time to enjoy the event you created. You’ve earned it!
If you’ve planned a Scouting event with your troop or crew or if you have one in mind you’d like to plan, let us know your favorite event themes in the comments. Other Scouts are looking for event ideas so your experience is great inspiration!