Bears are fun to draw. Watch this video to find out how to draw one with this art lesson from Aaron Blaise, an Oscar-nominated animator who worked on The Lion King, Aladdin, Brother Bear and more.
1. Start by lightly sketching the rough form of a grizzly bear on toned paper. Notice how the head and neck flows right into the body. The shoulders and legs can be added next.
2. Using your rough sketch as a guide, start to add the details such as facial features and fur textures.
3. Finish out the detail. Be sure to make your bear nice and shaggy.
4. Now you’re ready to add some color. Start with the base color of the bear.
5. Finish it all off by adding some deeper shadows and highlights. This stage really enhances the fur texture and gets your bear to “pop” right off the page!
Check out the January 2016 issue of Boys’ Life magazine to learn more about drawing a bear’s head, creating fur and animating your drawings.