Challenge your friends and family with this giant version of a classic game.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Six 2″ x 4″ x 8′ boards if you make the larger set, or two 2″ x 2″ x 10′ boards if you make the smaller set
- Work gloves
- Dust mask
- Safety glasses
- Tape measure
- Carpenter’s square
- Cross-cut saw
- Hand sander
- Three grades of sandpaper: coarse 60-grit, medium 120-grit, fine 180-grit
- Water-based polyurethane
- Fine steel wool
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. If you make the larger set, cut 54 2″ x 4″ x 10 1⁄2″ blocks from the six 2″ x 4″ x 8′ boards. If you make the smaller set, cut 48 2″ x 2″ x 41⁄2″ blocks from the two 2″ x 2″ x 10′ boards.
2. Put on the gloves, safety glasses and dust mask. Use the hand sander to sand all the blocks with the coarse 60-grit sandpaper. After the blocks are sanded with the 60-grit paper, sand them with the 120-grit, then again with the 180-grit. If you’re 13 or younger, have a trusted adult operate the sander for you
3. Apply the first coat of polyurethane. After it is completely dry, smooth all the blocks with steel wool. Apply a second coat of polyurethane. Use the steel wool again so all the blocks are smooth enough to slide easily. Your giant wood block game is complete.